Windows 10: Headphones stopped working without reason, but speakers work perfectly

Discus and support Headphones stopped working without reason, but speakers work perfectly in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi there guys, first post here so please do mind I'm a newbie*Redface So I've got an ASUS ROG G551JK laptop for almost 2 years already. Never had... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by velkoto, Aug 1, 2016.

1. velkoto Win User

Headphones stopped working without reason, but speakers work perfectly

Hi there guys, first post here so please do mind I'm a newbie*Redface

So I've got an ASUS ROG G551JK laptop for almost 2 years already. Never had this problem before.

While I was playing CS:GO I tried to tweak the sound quality a little bit from the Realtek HD Audio Manager. The game was running and minimalized. The default sound quality was 24 bits, 48000 Hz (Studio Quality). I changed it to 24 bits, 192000 Hz and the headphones stopped working. At least while they are plugged in the laptop. I tried them with two different devices and they work just fine. So the problem is not in them for sure. Note that the build in speakers work just fine, so the sound card is ok...I think...or I hope so...

Immediately I quit CS:GO and tried to fix the problem by reinstalling the drivers of the sound card. I deleted the Realtek HD Audio Manager and reinstalled it again. Doesn't work. I deleted it again and left only the default drivers that Windows installs to run, doesn't help either. I installed previous versions of the Realtek HD Audio Manager, but didn't help. I even restored the whole Windows... without effect. I tried putting the Headphones as a default device, and it didn't work either. Updated the DirectX 12 to the latest possible version, didn't work. I spent at least 4 hours by searching all kinds of forums and threads and tried everything possible, again without any effects.

So... the current situation is this:

Speakers work perfectly. When I plug in the headphones the system knows that and switches to them (shuts the speakers up and brings the latest headphone volume back)...but there is no sound in them at all. Obviously the sound card "knows" that there are headphones plugged in but doesn't want to play the freaking sound. I really hope that this is a solvable software problem and I hope you guys will help me.

The OS is Windows 10 Enterprise.

:)

velkoto, Aug 1, 2016
  2. stevvie1 Win User

How to turn off speakers when listening through headphones?

My headphones used to work perfectly but for some reason now my speakers stay on while' Im trying to listen on my headphones.

stevvie1, Aug 1, 2016
  3. topinoz Win User
    Lumia 620 not detecting headphones suddenly

I have same issue

without any reasons my headphone are no more working. They are detected as with microphone.

I listen pulses in headphone instead of sound Headphones stopped working without reason, but speakers work perfectly :(

The headphone are working perfectly on other devices.

The headphones fits perfectly in lumia 620 jack...

Thanks

Pietro

topinoz, Aug 1, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

Open Device Manager, remove driver and device for your sound chipset, open up System in Control Panel, Click on Advanced System Settings to open System Properties, Click on Hardware tab, click on Device installation settings, change to no to not allow Windows to automatically install driver and device when you reboot, click ok, reboot, log in, install the correct driver for that device off of a USB stick by running the .exe file for it. Then reboot and everything should be back to normal.

bro67, Aug 1, 2016
  5. velkoto Win User
    Well I don't know WTF happened, but everything is perfect now and I didn't do absolutely nothing about it. I mean after I posted this I went to sleep, the laptop was in Sleep mode and now I wake up and the Headphones are working perfectly *Eek I don't know how the hell is this thing even possible?

@bro67 thank you for the attempt to fix it. I will remember it if there are new problems.

velkoto, Aug 1, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    Windows Gremlins. Sleep Mode is bad about stuff not coming back to life. If you are going to bed, shut it down, especially with the update coming out today. Check in Updates that it asks for you to restart, that you are not set to download from other machines on the network.

I know that some will think that I was blunt. It sometimes is just easier to type out the steps for someone. Even I forget where to get to some items at times.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Headphones stopped working without reason, but speakers work perfectly - Similar Threads - Headphones stopped working

2. bluetooth speaker or headphone is not working!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    bluetooth speaker or headphone is not working!: when my Bluetooth speaker is connected to my laptop there is no sound coming trough it and windows host process rundll32 is also using microphone...
  3. bluetooth speaker or headphone is not working!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    bluetooth speaker or headphone is not working!: when my Bluetooth speaker is connected to my laptop there is no sound coming trough it and windows host process rundll32 is also using microphone...
  4. Speakers not working without plugging-in the headphones!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Speakers not working without plugging-in the headphones!: Hello,Recently I upgraded my laptop to windows 11. And now when I unplug my headphones, it is showing 'no output devices found', but when i plug-in, my headphones audio is working. Few days before it was working fine but now i'm facing this problem. Plz help....
  5. Speakers not working without plugging-in the headphones!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Speakers not working without plugging-in the headphones!: Hello,Recently I upgraded my laptop to windows 11. And now when I unplug my headphones, it is showing 'no output devices found', but when i plug-in, my headphones audio is working. Few days before it was working fine but now i'm facing this problem. Plz help....
  6. Headphones working but speakers are not working.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Headphones working but speakers are not working.: So as of this morning I have a new problem. My headphones work just fine, but my speakers aren't working at all. Everything I've checked says that it's working properly, but no sound from the speakers. They were working last night when I put the computer to sleep. I...
  7. My headphone/speaker jack just stopped working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My headphone/speaker jack just stopped working: My headphone/speaker jack no longer works. Have tried to run Troubleshoot but it just tells me "it cant recognise the problem" or that my earbuds are not plugged in where they are In addition, and I dont know if this pertains to the same type of thing, my audio is very low....
  8. Severe sound artifacts with built in speakers and headphones yet works perfectly with HDMI

Severe sound artifacts with built in speakers and headphones yet works perfectly with HDMI: I have a Dell Inspiron 7000 laptop. Windows 10. it had performance and audio problems. I sent it in to be fixed and it came back with a new harddrive, I then reformatted and updated my video drivers and it seemed fine then this problem came back. When audio is played through...
  9. Sound - speakers/headphones - stopped working on ASUS laptop

Sound - speakers/headphones - stopped working on ASUS laptop: With no intervening "event" - no new hardware or software or drivers installed Following the installation of a Cisco VPN client, the sound stopped working on my ASUS laptop. There is a red X over the speaker icon at the bottom right of the computer. Mousing over the icon,...
  10. Speakers don't work but headphones work

Speakers don't work but headphones work: I decided to update my audio drive so i went to the Lenovo website and installed the windows 10 (64 bit) driver, after restarting I noticed that there was no volume at all, i tried the Windows 8.1 driver and now only my headphones work. I also noticed in playback devices only...