Windows 10: Headphones wont work after unplugging them and plugging them back in.

Discus and support Headphones wont work after unplugging them and plugging them back in. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I've had this problem for about a month now and I cant find a fix for it. When ever i plug them in after startup a message will appear asking what I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/milt_tato, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Headphones wont work after unplugging them and plugging them back in.

I've had this problem for about a month now and I cant find a fix for it. When ever i plug them in after startup a message will appear asking what I plugged in but if I unplug them after that they just wont work. Most fixes I've seen says to go to the control panel-sound-playback- and to make them my default but they wont even show up (even if I select show disabled devices) this is really annoying especially if I'm in the middle of a game and they accidently get unplugged.

submitted by /u/milt_tato
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/milt_tato, Jan 12, 2021
  2. Zack_L-P Win User

Extremely bizarre issue where headphones don't work after being unplugged and plugged back in

I was going through your suggestions, until I got to this part. When I got to step 16 on that list (create a new admin user account and see if the problem persists in that account), I tried that suggestion and created a test account. At first, when I plugged
    in my headphones they weren't working (same as my original problem). But then when I unplugged them a Windows notification message popped up in the bottom right, saying something along the lines of "an audio device was disconnected". I plugged my headphones
    back in and got the same kind of windows popup asking what type of device I just plugged in, and I selected the headphone option. After that, the headphones worked fine even when unplugged and plugged back in. Unfortunately, they are only working fine in that
    alternate user account, and not in my normal one.

So I guess that means that the problem lies somewhere in my account settings, but how on earth do I fix it?

Zack_L-P, Jan 12, 2021
  3. Arul_D Win User
    Computer Won't Auto Change the Playback Device When Headphones Plugged In/Out

Hi Michael,

I understand your concern and will be happy to assist you.

Is the issue specific to only Headphones/ Does External Speaker play when plugged in?

I suggest you to try resetting the default device as shown in the steps given below and check if the issue persists.

• Plug in the Headphones in the machine.

• Go to Start and Control Panel.

• Select 'Hardware and Sound'.

• Click 'Change system sounds'.

• Click 'Playback' tab. (It should then show you your headphones in the list).

• Select your proper Headphone device from the list, then Click 'Set Default'.

• Now unplug your Headphones and select speakers from the list, then Click 'Set Default'.
    Hope it helps. Please reply for further queries on this.

Arul_D, Jan 12, 2021
  4. Louie_101 Win User

Headphones wont work after unplugging them and plugging them back in.

Headphone jack wont detect headphones being plugged into it.

Hi Caleb_071,

I'm Louie, a Microsoft Community member and a fellow Windows 10 user like you. Hope you're doing well and safe there.

I would suggest you to try the steps provided by Andre on the link below:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

You may also try the steps on this link:

https://windowsreport.com/windows-10-wont-recog...

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products often classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research
    any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

Hope one of the steps mentioned can fix the issue.

Sincerely,

Louie

Louie_101, Jan 12, 2021
Thema:

Headphones wont work after unplugging them and plugging them back in.

1. Headphones wont work after unplugging them and plugging them back in. - Similar Threads - Headphones wont unplugging

2. Headphones not working after I unplug and reconnect them.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Headphones not working after I unplug and reconnect them.: I have a dell laptop running windows 11 and whenever I unplug my headphones to use it on my phone or any other device and reconnect them to the laptop it won't work. But after a restart or uninstalling and reinstalling the audio driver from device manager it works fine....
  3. Headphones not working after I unplug and reconnect them.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Headphones not working after I unplug and reconnect them.: I have a dell laptop running windows 11 and whenever I unplug my headphones to use it on my phone or any other device and reconnect them to the laptop it won't work. But after a restart or uninstalling and reinstalling the audio driver from device manager it works fine....
  4. Headphones and Mic don't work after I unplug them

in Windows 10 Customization
    Headphones and Mic don't work after I unplug them: Recently when I start up my computer with my Headphones plugged in, they start out working fine, but once I unplug them and try to plug them back in Windows no longer recognizes it. After that, the headphones only work once I completely restart the laptop. I've tried going to...
  5. USB mouse and wifi adapter need to unplug and plug to enable them work

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB mouse and wifi adapter need to unplug and plug to enable them work: I don't know why my usb mouse and wifi adapter normally don't work after the system's boot up, then I need to unplug them and plug them, then they both work. The keyboard works fine. So strange. CPU:E3-1230 v2 Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-Z77x-UD5H-WB WiFi ver1.0 Windows 10...
  6. Headphones only work when I start my computer with them plugged in, if I unplug them and...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Headphones only work when I start my computer with them plugged in, if I unplug them and...: I found a few solutions online, and none of them worked. submitted by /u/vanhalen325 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kqz9eu/headphones_only_work_when_i_start_my_computer/
  7. Headphones only work after I restart my computer with them plugged in

Headphones only work after I restart my computer with them plugged in: I have an Acer laptop running windows 10 home with the Realtek 6.0.8904.1 driver. The computer also has 2 other main sound drivers: Intel display audio and NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device Wave Extensible WDB. I also have 2 other sounds drivers but those are both for my JBL 120TWS...
  8. Unplugging my headphones and plugging them back in causes my computer to switch to it's...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unplugging my headphones and plugging them back in causes my computer to switch to it's...: I have a Dell g7 model 7588 and my headphones and jack worked fine until today. Whenever I restart my computer I can use my headphones fine but as soon as I unplug and re-plug them my computer switches to it's speakers even when the headphones are plugged in. In my audio...
  9. Muffled sound after removing USB headphones and plugging them in again.

Muffled sound after removing USB headphones and plugging them in again.: I removed my heaphones form the USB port, while trying to fix my mic, after I plugged them in again the microphone started working properly but the sound is a lot quieter and sometimes muffled....
  10. Unplugged external speakers, plugged them back in, now they're missing from Playback...

Unplugged external speakers, plugged them back in, now they're missing from Playback...: I bought a Laptop a few months ago and it's been working very well until today. I unplugged my speakers to move my laptop and when I plugged them back in they just weren't working. Confused by this I plugged my speakers into both my phone and an old iPad and the speakers...