Windows 10: Headset muting audio on receiving Mic input

Discus and support Headset muting audio on receiving Mic input in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I actually had this issue with my old headset and thought it was just the headset, but this one worked just fine, I was changing some sound settings to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Mashimaro7, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Headset muting audio on receiving Mic input

I actually had this issue with my old headset and thought it was just the headset, but this one worked just fine, I was changing some sound settings to fix some audio lag I was getting, now this headset does the exact thing the old one did. I can't remember exactly what I changed, but it's weird, it only mutes audio when receiving mic input. I tested it with audacity while listening to music, if I press the record button it mutes my headphones to receive mic input.

Does anybody know how to fix this? I spent like 60$ on this headset because I thought the issue was the headset! It worked just fine a few days ago, I made phone calls with it. Now it mutes on mic input, so it kinda defeats the purpose of the headset. I can't make calls or play games because it mutes audio on input.

:)

Mashimaro7, Sep 13, 2020
  2. Zoladex Win User

Laptop not splitting headset mic & audio?

Hi
    Simple version. When i plug in my headset to my laptop windows10 is not splitting it into one output and one input.

I fixed this years back by setting the popup box 'whats plugged in' from headphone to headset. Then it split the audio and mic. However i had to reinstall windows and now when i select headset it just mutes my laptop mic and audio manager just shows the one mic, but two audio outputs.

It was working before the reset and i have tested the headset on another computer and it is working find.
    So far i tried device manage audio driver install, for both Realtek driver and High Definition driver but either resolve the issue.

Any suggestions why windows would pick up one and not the other?

I currently have it set to headphone plugged in so that i can use my laptop mic, but ive been told i sound really bad *Sad

Cheers,
    Zola

Zoladex, Sep 13, 2020
  3. JakeC2NZ Win User
    Windows not receiving mic audio input

Hello, this is a common problem from what I've read so far. Summed up, Windows 10 detects my new headset's mic but is not receiving any audio input from it. When I speak or tap on the mic, no green bars appear in the sound menu as well as discord/windows
    voice recorder not detecting any input.

My rig:

Acer Predator, Windows 10 (Version 1809, build 17763.557)

My headset:

SteelSeries Arctis 5 (USB)

What I've tried so far:

I have tested my headset with my phone using a 3.5mm, and audio input/output worked normally. I also tested this with a different desktop running windows 10 and experienced the same problem.

1) Default microphone is set to Arctis 5 and enabled, all others are disabled

2) Audio enhancements are disabled

3) Volume is maxed in "levels" tab of microphone properties

3) Allow applications to take exclusive control is disabled

4) Fully updated windows

5) Reinstalled and attempted to update headset drivers (no updates)

6) Plugged in headset using every USB port

7) Ran audio troubleshooter, didn't help

8) Tried to configure mic, can't go past the part where windows asks you to speak into the mic because it doesn't detect any audio from it.

9) In Privacy, allowed all apps to access microphone

10) Downloaded steelseries' engine, program can't detect audio when trying a live mic test and it's pretty much useless for anything outside of tweaking sound settings

11) Connected headset using 3.5mm jack, both audio and microphone stopped working

12) And before anyone asks, yes I made sure the mic isn't muted by the headset itself

I have also looked for brand-specific drivers from steelseries but can't find any. I've tried everything I can think of and everything I've read online. Any help is appreciated, and if anyone wants additional information or screenshots just let me know.

JakeC2NZ, Sep 13, 2020
  4. Jake7777 Win User

Headset muting audio on receiving Mic input

Windows 10 not receiving mic audio

Hello, this is a common problem from what I've read so far. Summed up, Windows 10 detects my new headset's mic but is not receiving any audio input from it. When I speak or tap on the mic, no green bars appear in the sound menu as well as discord/windows voice recorder not detecting any input.

My rig:
    Acer Predator, Windows 10 (Version 1809, build 17763.557)

My headset:
    SteelSeries Arctis 5 (USB)

What I've tried so far:
    I have tested my headset with my phone using a 3.5mm, and audio input/output worked normally. I also tested this with a different desktop running windows 10 and experienced the same problem.

1) Default microphone is set to Arctis 5 and enabled, all others are disabled
    2) Audio enhancements are disabled
    3) Volume is maxed in "levels" tab of microphone properties
    3) Allow applications to take exclusive control is disabled
    4) Fully updated windows
    5) Reinstalled and attempted to update headset drivers (no updates)
    6) Plugged in headset using every USB port
    7) Ran audio troubleshooter, didn't help
    8) Tried to configure mic, can't go past the part where windows asks you to speak into the mic because it doesn't detect any audio from it.
    9) In Privacy, allowed all apps to access microphone
    10) Downloaded steelseries' engine, program can't detect audio when trying a live mic test and it's pretty much useless for anything outside of tweaking sound settings
    11) Connected headset using 3.5mm jack, both audio and microphone stopped working
    12) And before anyone asks, yes I made sure the mic isn't muted by the headset itself

I have also looked for brand-specific drivers from steelseries but can't find any. I've tried everything I can think of and everything I've read online. Any help is appreciated, and if anyone wants additional information or screenshots just let me know.

Jake7777, Sep 13, 2020
Thema:

Headset muting audio on receiving Mic input

1. Headset muting audio on receiving Mic input - Similar Threads - Headset muting audio

2. Mute button makes audio fade instead of instantly muting cutting all input on the mic.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mute button makes audio fade instead of instantly muting cutting all input on the mic.: I want to be able to mute the mic instantly and not have it fade away for around 0.5s. I know it does this because I can Listen to myself on Sound Settings > More Sound Settings > Listen > "Listen to this device", and of course other people have told me they can still briefly...
  3. Mute button makes audio fade instead of instantly muting cutting all input on the mic.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mute button makes audio fade instead of instantly muting cutting all input on the mic.: I want to be able to mute the mic instantly and not have it fade away for around 0.5s. I know it does this because I can Listen to myself on Sound Settings > More Sound Settings > Listen > "Listen to this device", and of course other people have told me they can still briefly...
  4. Mute button makes audio fade instead of instantly muting cutting all input on the mic.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Mute the mic will mute audio also in Teams while using Bluetooth headset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mute the mic will mute audio also in Teams while using Bluetooth headset: Hi Team,This is a very peculiar problem I am facing from few days in Microsoft Teams.Whenever I connect to a teams meeting or call through bluetooth device from my laptop, this problem occurs. it works fine in mobile app.During call if I mute my mic it will automatically mute...
  6. Mute the mic will mute audio also in Teams while using Bluetooth headset

Mute the mic will mute audio also in Teams while using Bluetooth headset: Hi Team,This is a very peculiar problem I am facing from few days in Microsoft Teams.Whenever I connect to a teams meeting or call through bluetooth device from my laptop, this problem occurs. it works fine in mobile app.During call if I mute my mic it will automatically mute...
  7. Audio Jack playing pc sounds into mic input even with mic muted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Audio Jack playing pc sounds into mic input even with mic muted: I have a dell g7 laptop that has one 3.5 audio jack installed. I bought a corsair headset with a 3.5 jack on it, when I plugged it in my computer asked what type of device it was and i selected headset with mic. Everything works with output sound into my headset but with the...
  8. Audio Jack playing pc sounds into mic input even with mic muted

Audio Jack playing pc sounds into mic input even with mic muted: I have a dell g7 laptop that has one 3.5 audio jack installed. I bought a corsair headset with a 3.5 jack on it, when I plugged it in my computer asked what type of device it was and i selected headset with mic. Everything works with output sound into my headset but with the...
  9. Mic detected but not receiving input

Mic detected but not receiving input: edition Windows 10 Home Single Language x64 version 20H2 installed in ‎04/‎03/‎2021 SO compilation 19042.631 Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.31.0 I have an Acer aspire of around 3 years, in 04/03/2021 I clean reinstalled windows on it because I bought a Kingston 480...
  10. Windows not receiving mic audio input

Windows not receiving mic audio input: Hello, this is a common problem from what I've read so far. Summed up, Windows 10 detects my new headset's mic but is not receiving any audio input from it. When I speak or tap on the mic, no green bars appear in the sound menu as well as discord/windows voice recorder not...