Windows 10: Headset not being recognized when plugged into laptop

Discus and support Headset not being recognized when plugged into laptop in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I've been having an issue for a couple of weeks now, where I can't seem to get my headset to work properly. Whenever I plug it into my computer, the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by RileyCoulter, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Headset not being recognized when plugged into laptop

I've been having an issue for a couple of weeks now, where I can't seem to get my headset to work properly. Whenever I plug it into my computer, the sound will work fine (audio comes out of the headset instead of the laptop speakers), but the mic doesn't get used (mic on the laptop is used instead of the mic attached to the headset). I've tried what feels like a million things to get it fixed, but nothing seems to do the trick. First, I opened my sound settings, and went to the recording tab to see if it was just an incorrect default device kind of situation, but the headset doesn't even appear under the list of devices, only the laptop microphone, and "stereo mix". I tried making sure all disabled / disconnected devices were being shown, and still nothing. Next, I tried running the built in microphone, troubleshooter, but because my device wasn't listed under the devices from earlier, it also wasn't listed under the devices in the troubleshooter, so that got me nowhere. Finally, I tried updating basically all of my audio drivers to see if that was the problem, but from the looks of it, all of the recommended drivers are already installed. I'm at my wits end, because I don't know what else could be the issue. This very same headset was working perfectly only a few weeks ago. I did mess around with my sound settings a little bit around the same time that it stopped working, but I can't imagine that I messed it up so bad that it would be this difficult to fix. Any help would be appreciated.

:)

RileyCoulter, Sep 4, 2019
  2. Coder[1] Win User

No longer recognizes headset plugged in/out

My Dell laptop no longer recognizes when I plug in our pull out the headset. The speakers on the laptop are used instead of the headset. This used to work until some update from Microsoft. I cannot isolate which "update" caused the issue. The only way
    I can get my headset to now work is to power cycle my computer and leave the headset plugged in. I have tried reloading the driver to no avail.

It appears the Microsoft updates are progressively destroying the usefulness of my computer. The previous issue still has not been resolved with the laptop screen or the external monitor going blank periodically. These both used to work.

Coder[1], Sep 4, 2019
  3. cadaveca Win User
    Good surround sound headset

I know you say you're not that guy, but stepping into the $250+ range really brings a change in build quality that might have you never having to buy another set. Otherwise, getting 6 speakers with decent sound in a headset is hard, and that's what you are asking for, and I have no suggestions, but just a bump up the list. *Stick Out Tongue Headset not being recognized when plugged into laptop :p

cadaveca, Sep 4, 2019
  4. Headset not being recognized when plugged into laptop

Computer won't recognize headset microphone

The headset seems to have a TRRS plug. However, i did not think that would be a problem. I use the Alienware 17 laptop (planning to build a pc later this year), and it has 3 audio ports. They each have a diagram next to them. The diagrams (in order) are: A microphone, headphones, a headset (with the mic coming off of it). Because of the headset image, i would assume that it would be a TRRS port. That doesnt work though.

Aaeeschylus, Sep 4, 2019
Thema:

Headset not being recognized when plugged into laptop

1. Headset not being recognized when plugged into laptop - Similar Threads - Headset being recognized

2. My laptop speakers and plugged in headset are not being recognized within settings.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop speakers and plugged in headset are not being recognized within settings.: I can't unmute my laptop speakers and/or headset. A few days ago, with MS support, my computer was put through a complete reset and it hasn't worked since. I don't know how to correct it.Thanks....
  3. My laptop speakers and plugged in headset are not being recognized within settings.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My laptop speakers and plugged in headset are not being recognized within settings.: I can't unmute my laptop speakers and/or headset. A few days ago, with MS support, my computer was put through a complete reset and it hasn't worked since. I don't know how to correct it.Thanks....
  4. Headset microphone not being recognized by laptop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Headset microphone not being recognized by laptop.: I am trying to connect a Massdrop x Sennheiser PC37X which has a separate microphone and audio jack to my laptop so I used an adapter I bought off amazon which converts the mic and audio into a single jack. The headphones are recognized and work just fine but the microphone...
  5. Headset microphone not being recognized by laptop.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Headset microphone not being recognized by laptop.: I am trying to connect a Massdrop x Sennheiser PC37X which has a separate microphone and audio jack to my laptop so I used an adapter I bought off amazon which converts the mic and audio into a single jack. The headphones are recognized and work just fine but the microphone...
  6. USB Headset not being recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Headset not being recognized: I recently bought an Arcus 150T gaming headset. When i plugged it into my laptop i heard a noise as if someone was repeatedly tapping on the outside of the headset. The headset itself is not being recognised and isnt outputting any forms of audio but the rgb on the headset is...
  7. Headset not being recognized.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Headset not being recognized.: So, I just bought some ebisu headphones and they work just fine. I was trying to find out how to turn my microphone on, and when I went on to sound settings, neither the audio output nor the input where being recognized, but my headphones were working just fine, but the mic...
  8. Windows 10 not recognizing when I plug in headset

Windows 10 not recognizing when I plug in headset: Hello, Recently I've been having issues with using headsets, and more specifically microphones, on my laptop. Previously I used just some regular earbuds with a microphone and about five months ago, that worked, people could hear me fine and correctly, but recently it...
  9. Headset microphone not being recognized

Headset microphone not being recognized: I have used this headset with the laptop before, and I have used both the mic and the headphones with it. However, I just went to use it again after some time, and my laptop doesn't recognize the mic with it. The sound still goes through the headphones, and it registers it as...
  10. No longer recognizes headset plugged in/out

No longer recognizes headset plugged in/out: My Dell laptop no longer recognizes when I plug in our pull out the headset. The speakers on the laptop are used instead of the headset. This used to work until some update from Microsoft. I cannot isolate which "update" caused the issue. The only way I can get my headset...