Windows 10: Heat doesn't kill hard drives. Here's what does

Discus and support Heat doesn't kill hard drives. Here's what does in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; "Free-cooled" datacenters use ambient outside air instead of air conditioning. That lets us see how environment affects system components. Biggest... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Heat doesn't kill hard drives. Here's what does

Read more: Heat doesn't kill hard drives. Here's what does | ZDNet

Brink, Mar 7, 2016
  2. swarfega Win User

I no longer use hard drives.

:)

swarfega, Mar 7, 2016
  3. Caian Win User
    Caian, Mar 7, 2016
  4. grschinon Win User

Fastest Charger Available?

It's a well-known fact that the faster you charge batteries, the more energy is wasted (mostly in the form of heat), meaning that less is actually absorbed by the electrolyte. Also, the extra heat generated by charging too fast is what kills the battery.

grschinon, Mar 7, 2016
  5. LEE
    Lee Win User
    *Ditto . . .Really see no reason for them on my systems these days. . .that is just me. . .*Smile

6. swarfega Win User
    I feel I can only use SSDs on their own because I have a backup solution.

swarfega, Mar 7, 2016
  7. cameos Win User
    The datacenter of your backup service still uses them.

cameos, Mar 7, 2016
  8. vgchat Win User

Um nope. I use a 4tb external & blu-rays for my backup needs.

vgchat, Mar 7, 2016
  9. Geneo Win User
    "High relative humidity causes disk failures largely due to controller/adapter malfunction."

I imagine this applies to SSD as well as HDD.

Geneo, Mar 8, 2016
  10. swarfega Win User
    I dont have a backup service. I use a local NAS. The NAS uses WD Reds.

swarfega, Mar 8, 2016
  11. larc919 Win User
    I do. My system partitions are on SSDs, but I store all my goodies on HDDs. The lone exception is my laptop where everything is on SSD.

larc919, Mar 8, 2016
  12. Winuser Win User
    On one desktop I have Windows 10RTM on a SSD and Windows 10 Preview on a HDD. On the other Desktop I have Windows 10RTM on a SSD. Then I have two laptops running Windows 10 RTM. One has a SSD and the other still has a HDD. I use HDDs for data and storage.

Winuser, Mar 8, 2016
  13. BobD Win User

I'm a bit worried about the high humidity. My machine gets very dusty so I hose it down about once a month. I wonder if this will shorten the life of the disks?

14. VBS
    VBs Win User
    So you use hard drives.. WD reds are hard drives. You just lied to us *Smile

15. Mystere Win User
    I know for a fact that high heat does kill hard drives... I've seen it in poorly ventilated PC's with monster video cards over and over again. The humidity is fine because it's in an air conditioned room.

This study is about data centers, which generally have good ventilation, but they're not using air conditioned air, so it's probably a bad idea to draw conclusions about other environments.

Mystere, Mar 8, 2016
Thema:

1. Heat doesn't kill hard drives. Here's what does - Similar Threads - Heat doesn't kill

2. Windows Update 21H2 Killing Hard Drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Update 21H2 Killing Hard Drives: Hello there.I have 3 computers that tried to update to 21H2. 2 Dell Desktops with a SATA interface, and 1 HP laptop with an NVME interface.In all 3 cases, once the update was complete, the computer would not boot or reboot immediately after the update.Going into the BIOS...
  3. Windows Update 21H2 Killing Hard Drives

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update 21H2 Killing Hard Drives: Hello there.I have 3 computers that tried to update to 21H2. 2 Dell Desktops with a SATA interface, and 1 HP laptop with an NVME interface.In all 3 cases, once the update was complete, the computer would not boot or reboot immediately after the update.Going into the BIOS...
  4. Windows Update 21H2 Killing Hard Drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Windows 10 killing my hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 killing my hard drive: Hi I’m having a problem with Windows 10 since i updated to the latest version it has slowly been making my computer slow to a point where the computer is non-responsive and also killing my hard drive. I’ve reached a point where I’m even scared to store important infomation on...
  6. Does Anyone Know What’s Happening Here?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Does Anyone Know What’s Happening Here?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Alfie12370123 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l601ev/does_anyone_know_whats_happening_here/
  7. New partition killed hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New partition killed hard drive: I'm trying to assist a lady via TeamViewer with her Win10 1909.18363.1082. The problem started after I generated a 529MB partition (D:) on her hard drive. It ran and completed as usual but after boot up a BIOS screen popped up (American Megatrends): "GPT header corruption has...
  8. does anyone know what is going on here

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    does anyone know what is going on here: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/crazycule05 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fkwuul/does_anyone_know_what_is_going_on_here/
  9. Hard drive killed by Windows update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hard drive killed by Windows update: I just my new Hp computer and the system was on auto update. It had a new Windows 10 update that was updating and this update basically killed my hard drive and I basically need a new one as told by the computer experts. I am so disappointed with you guys how can you have...
  10. Windows 10 1809 Destroyed My Hard Drive OVER HEATING

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 1809 Destroyed My Hard Drive OVER HEATING: please i need a link to windows 10 1803 for a usb drive first my dvd cd burner would not work i updated the driver the computer crashed the info said a hardware change caused the crash .then i got a new drive and installed 1809 now my pc over heating crashing what did you...