Windows 10: Heat doesn't kill hard drives. Here's what does

Discus and support Heat doesn't kill hard drives. Here's what does in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; It will feel weird if PC's had no hard drive and it would still work Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Heat doesn't kill hard drives. Here's what does

It will feel weird if PC's had no hard drive and it would still work

XXHeronikXX, Mar 8, 2016

2. When I used computers, I used HDD's boxes, they do not just lower temperature, but prevent dust and humidity.
    But one of the killers is also turning HDD on/off, that includes power saving and sleep, better to disable it. *Wink

TairikuOkami, Mar 8, 2016
  3. Pendaws Win User
    I have a 500gb SSD (Samsung 850 Evo) and have stopped using Mechanical drives. I backup my stuff to a NAS with 3x2tb WD Reds
    and that seems to be ok for me. My NAS is in an area that is a constant temp and so I am confident this won't be a major issue? *Smile

Pendaws, Mar 8, 2016
  4. swarfega Win User

Heat doesn't kill hard drives. Here's what does

Yea my NAS is in a room thats not used much and the heating is off so its quite cool. Ideal conditions!

swarfega, Mar 8, 2016
  5. swarfega Win User
    No I didn't. I said I don't have hard drives IN my computer any more. Sure they are used for my NAS because theres no suitable alternative if you want the space and SSDs are still not reliable or large enough yet.

swarfega, Mar 8, 2016
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Don't drop them on to Granite floors from a height either. !!!!

As far as high humidity is concerned - that will more or less kill any electronics - and if you are near a coast too the salt in the air will be as efficient as concentrated Sulphuric or Nitric Acid as eating into the metalwork.

At least where I am that's not an issue at all at any time of the year !!

@swarfega SSD's are perfectly large and reliable enough for NAS boxes -- I'd love to get 4 X 4 TB SSD's for my box so the whole thing could be the size of my router / cablebox with no heat / fan etc etc. Google and Amazon use large SSD's in their datacentres already -- the main problem for us "Consumers" is the cost which actually IS coming down in leaps and bounds.

By this time next year decent high capacity SSD's will be "reasonably" affordable a 4TB SSD probably about 1.5X the cost of a decent 4TB spinner at todays prices.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 8, 2016
  7. swarfega Win User
    JImbo or get 2 x 16tb SSD (the new ones) *Tongue

swarfega, Mar 9, 2016
  8. slyphnier Win User

with last report SSD report from google and SSD data retention (based:The Truth About SSD Data Retention)
    i wont move all data to SSD just yet...
    for me, it will be still few years with mixing SSD+HDD combination before to all SSD... and for cold storage/archival purpose will still using HDD (like NAS box)

also in failure, HDD have better recovery chance compared to SSD... if not cheaper (SSD recovery price is like 2~3x HDD )
    for common hdd board failure can simply replacing the board with same batch

i think hdd even not air-tight, but designed to not let dust pilling up inside...
    if u ever open old hdd, u should find the inner stay clean usually

for humidity, using air conditioner should solve the problem,
    also except u living in really humid area, i dont think it will cause shorter usage life
    inside PC-case usually warm, and with the fan flowing the air, it will remove excess moisture most of time

slyphnier, Mar 9, 2016
  9. swarfega Win User
    I wouldn't worry about what Google says. They have much tougher workout than your average consumer. For us lot they are perfectly fine.

swarfega, Mar 9, 2016
  10. slyphnier Win User
    u havent read it arent u ?
    it didnt about regarding workload on the SSD that causing failure (it seems work properly regarded to spec)
    it already posted couple time but, as its short, so i repost it again
    KEY CONCLUSIONS

• Ignore Uncorrectable Bit Error Rate (UBER) specs. A meaningless number.
    • Good news: Raw Bit Error Rate (RBER) increases slower than expected from wearout and is not correlated with UBER or other failures.
    • High-end SLC drives are no more reliable that MLC drives.
    • Bad news: SSDs fail at a lower rate than disks, but UBER rate is higher (see below for what this means).
    • SSD age, not usage, affects reliability.
    • Bad blocks in new SSDs are common, and drives with a large number of bad blocks are much more likely to lose hundreds of other blocks, most likely due to die or chip failure.
    • 30-80 percent of SSDs develop at least one bad block and 2-7 percent develop at least one bad chip in the first four years of deployment.

The paper's second major conclusion, that age, not use, correlates with increasing error rates, means that over-provisioning for fear of flash wearout is not needed. None of the drives in the study came anywhere near their write limits, even the 3,000 writes specified for the MLC drives.

But it isn't all good news. SSD UBER rates are higher than disk rates, which means that backing up SSDs is even more important than it is with disks. The SSD is less likely to fail during its normal life, but more likely to lose data. *copied from guru3d

slyphnier, Mar 9, 2016
  11. davidhk Win User
    davidhk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Heat doesn't kill hard drives. Here's what does - Similar Threads - Heat doesn't kill

2. Windows Update 21H2 Killing Hard Drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Update 21H2 Killing Hard Drives: Hello there.I have 3 computers that tried to update to 21H2. 2 Dell Desktops with a SATA interface, and 1 HP laptop with an NVME interface.In all 3 cases, once the update was complete, the computer would not boot or reboot immediately after the update.Going into the BIOS...
  3. Windows Update 21H2 Killing Hard Drives

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update 21H2 Killing Hard Drives: Hello there.I have 3 computers that tried to update to 21H2. 2 Dell Desktops with a SATA interface, and 1 HP laptop with an NVME interface.In all 3 cases, once the update was complete, the computer would not boot or reboot immediately after the update.Going into the BIOS...
  4. Windows Update 21H2 Killing Hard Drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Windows 10 killing my hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 killing my hard drive: Hi I’m having a problem with Windows 10 since i updated to the latest version it has slowly been making my computer slow to a point where the computer is non-responsive and also killing my hard drive. I’ve reached a point where I’m even scared to store important infomation on...
  6. Does Anyone Know What’s Happening Here?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Does Anyone Know What’s Happening Here?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Alfie12370123 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l601ev/does_anyone_know_whats_happening_here/
  7. New partition killed hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New partition killed hard drive: I'm trying to assist a lady via TeamViewer with her Win10 1909.18363.1082. The problem started after I generated a 529MB partition (D:) on her hard drive. It ran and completed as usual but after boot up a BIOS screen popped up (American Megatrends): "GPT header corruption has...
  8. does anyone know what is going on here

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    does anyone know what is going on here: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/crazycule05 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fkwuul/does_anyone_know_what_is_going_on_here/
  9. Hard drive killed by Windows update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hard drive killed by Windows update: I just my new Hp computer and the system was on auto update. It had a new Windows 10 update that was updating and this update basically killed my hard drive and I basically need a new one as told by the computer experts. I am so disappointed with you guys how can you have...
  10. Windows 10 1809 Destroyed My Hard Drive OVER HEATING

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 1809 Destroyed My Hard Drive OVER HEATING: please i need a link to windows 10 1803 for a usb drive first my dvd cd burner would not work i updated the driver the computer crashed the info said a hardware change caused the crash .then i got a new drive and installed 1809 now my pc over heating crashing what did you...