Windows 10: Hell Freezes Over: Users Now Want the Start Screen in...

Discus and support Hell Freezes Over: Users Now Want the Start Screen in... in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Correct me if I'm wrong but, isn't the option to switch to either already available?! Now, if MS could implement a quick switch such as Shawn's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Winuser Win User

Hell Freezes Over: Users Now Want the Start Screen in...

WE do have the option so far. As for the option to quick switch; How often is a user going to switch back and forth? Windows 10 is still in it's early stages so anything can happen. I wouldn't be surprised if we see some improvements to the start screen before Win 10 goes RTM.

Winuser, Dec 21, 2014

2. Start Screen is still there at the moment, shame MS totally ruined the experience by making everything launch on the dekstop

paulsalter, Dec 21, 2014
  3. Petey7 Win User
    Having used the start screen in Windows 8.1, and the start menu in Windows 10, I definitely prefer the 8.1 start screen, hands down. I know plenty of other people who prefer the start screen by far once they had a little time to get used to it. Some of them are tech geniuses, and some barely know what they're doing, but they came to the same conclusion. Start screen is easier. There are some things about the UI that still need fixing, but now isn't the time to abandon the start screen. If MS does, I'll be upgrading my Windows 7 PC to 8.1 instead of 10 next year.

Petey7, Dec 21, 2014
  4. Hell Freezes Over: Users Now Want the Start Screen in...

*Ditto I can't see them ever abandoning the Start Screen, but if they do, I'm with you. I'll stay on 8.1 instead of upgrading to 10.

alphanumeric, Dec 21, 2014
  5. kenC Win User
    I can imagine MS thinking that the average user is going to pin tiles to the side of the Start Menu for ease of use and then find they have so many they may as well use the Start Screen ! Gentle persuasion is easier than force.

6. Tony K Win User
    *Thumbs My tech twin. *Biggrin

Yes, as it stands for me it's backwards and there's no flow to it. I thought at first I wouldn't mind Store apps opening on the desktop would bother me, but I found different. Hopefully with Continuum that when closing out a Store app it returns to the Start Screen instead of remaining on and looking at the desktop. After all, it's Start Screen, not "End Screen" (desktop). It's like "clunk!" > emptiness/void/nil, instead of the flow as in 8.x. Would be nice to return to the Start Screen after closing desktop apps also. If not in Continuum, then a choice within configuration to do so.

Tony K, Dec 22, 2014
  7. LEE
    Lee Win User
    Where's my gun. . .that horse just won't die. . .*Huh

8. WHS
    whs Win User

This is not a start with a modern twist. It is an ill defined ******* that is neither fish nor fowl. I will stick with the start page.

9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Sometimes the modern start screen is just NOT practicable --it's OK if you have a small number of discrete applications

but imagine something like this -- would entail about 5 KM of endless scrolling for about 1000 tiles !!!!!.

Hell Freezes Over: Users Now Want the Start Screen in... [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 22, 2014
  10. davehc Win User
    Can't argue with that, Jimbo. I only use about ten on a daily basis, so, for me, not such a big problem. Frankly, I would find computer use a bit of a nightmare if I needed that many daily.

davehc, Dec 22, 2014
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    HI there

That was an extreme case - but people who say that the new start screen is ALWAYS OK can't envision a situation where it would be totally hopeless.

The menu shown above was the UNITY menu from a LINUX Host (OPENSUSE 13.2 with KDE desktop) running Windows 8.1 Virtual Machine in "Unity Mode" -- great idea as you run all your Windows applications from your Linux desktop. You need VMWARE workstation to do this though. I don't believe VBOX has Unity mode but could be wrong. You can tidy up the menu of course but the unmodified one I think shows the limitations of a flat (non cascading) tile system clearly.

In "Windows mode" I.e running a Native HOST windows system one would of course use the Taskbar, desktop icons and other short cuts so the menu wouldn't be that extreme !!!. However even on a MOBILE PHONE (android) using a tiling system becomes tedious once you have to scroll a few pages and these days phones seem to come with an ever increasing amount of "pre-installed" bloat - most of which I never use !!!.

Anyway cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 22, 2014
  12. Trust_No1 Win User
    If that had happen we would not be looking at Windows 10 for a few more years. So, if you are saying ... If they had done it right the first time, they wouldn't be where they are today.

I couldn't agree more

Personally, I feel the start screen (far superior) is a better option for metro apps than the tiled start menu, that is what it was designed for. Just leave it and put the Windows 7 menu back. Why is this so difficult for Redmond to do?

Trust_No1, Dec 22, 2014
  13. Mystere Win User

You keep forgetting about zooming and grouping. The start screen has those "folders" as well, and it's a button click or mouse wheel scroll+ctrl to zoom to folder mode.

Mystere, Dec 23, 2014
  14. Tony K Win User
    Hell Freezes Over: Users Now Want the Start Screen in... [​IMG]

Tony K, Dec 23, 2014
  15. WHS
    whs Win User
    HG, you sure like green, LOL - How did you get those groupings.

Thema:

1. Hell Freezes Over: Users Now Want the Start Screen in... - Similar Threads - Hell Freezes Users

2. PC now starts randomly freezes or randomly starts restarting

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC now starts randomly freezes or randomly starts restarting: As the question stated, the PC either or just freezes or just randomly restarts. Been googling this on my brothers PC, could be a disk issue or a virus. We used HDTune to test the disk errors and there were 0 errors, this was done on safemode without networking since I was...
  3. PC now starts randomly freezes or randomly starts restarting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC now starts randomly freezes or randomly starts restarting: As the question stated, the PC either or just freezes or just randomly restarts. Been googling this on my brothers PC, could be a disk issue or a virus. We used HDTune to test the disk errors and there were 0 errors, this was done on safemode without networking since I was...
  4. PC now starts randomly freezes or randomly starts restarting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. blue screen hell

in Windows 10 Gaming
    blue screen hell: My pc keeps blue screening. it wont create a meomory dump file although i have all the settings. i believe its because it doesnt get the chance. when my pc blue screen it freezes on the bluescreen "screen" for about 1 second. the screen is faded so im assuming it didnt load....
  6. blue screen hell

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    blue screen hell: My pc keeps blue screening. it wont create a meomory dump file although i have all the settings. i believe its because it doesnt get the chance. when my pc blue screen it freezes on the bluescreen "screen" for about 1 second. the screen is faded so im assuming it didnt load....
  7. Rogue Start screen takes over

in Windows 10 Customization
    Rogue Start screen takes over: since last update, the Start screen takes over even when I want to go to another site, like email. And if they are open, when I try to move from one to another, Start shows up and shuts them down. I've tried turning off stuff under settings, but it still makes me lose work....
  8. I want to reset and start my PC over again

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I want to reset and start my PC over again: I want to reset and start my PC over again. Should I Fresh Start or Reset PC? My Wondows 10 says it is activated with a digital liscence linked to my Microsoft account. I Don't need to keep any of my files, i already backed them up. I don't need to save my settings either....
  9. start screen two users

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    start screen two users: how do I set the start screen to have two users with or without log ins? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-screen-two-users/e2c145f2-0595-48c4-9983-c70f44bf8d7e"
  10. Starting over

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Starting over: I recently upgraded to Win 10 and did something that wasn't too bright. I did the SFC / scannow in the prompt and got the "corrupt files but wasn't able to fix them all" after it was finished. I looked into doing the advanced restart to fix it but thought better about doing...