Windows 10: Hell Freezes Over: Users Now Want the Start Screen in...

Discus and support Hell Freezes Over: Users Now Want the Start Screen in... in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Well, whs, we live on a planet with a lot of green. Green is my theme color. *Wink "By name" in Apps view > Click on a letter. By date installed,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Tony K Win User

Hell Freezes Over: Users Now Want the Start Screen in...

Well, whs, we live on a planet with a lot of green. Green is my theme color. *Wink

"By name" in Apps view > Click on a letter.

By date installed, Most used, or Category click on any title.

Hell Freezes Over: Users Now Want the Start Screen in... [​IMG]

Tony K, Dec 23, 2014
  2. WHS
    whs Win User

Thanks. I saw that but never tried it. Will now experiment.

3. Tony K Win User
    Tony K, Dec 23, 2014
  4. Hell Freezes Over: Users Now Want the Start Screen in...

lool. I was knowing it....

Fahadking07, Dec 23, 2014
  5. Clam Win User
    Can you explain how exactly is it easier?

6. Edwin New Member
    Perhaps the likes of this will satisfy all:

Edwin, Dec 24, 2014
  7. BunnyJ New Member
    That would work.. IMO,
    YMMV

BunnyJ, Dec 24, 2014
  8. swarfega Win User

I actually prefer the Windows 8.1 screen, its actually quicker to find what your looking for.

swarfega, Dec 24, 2014
  9. Edwin New Member
    A little bit more refined concept than my previous post. The design is a bit crude but I think the options are very doable including the Shutdown Options on the task bar.
    Also an advanced color palette for colorizing either the Start Menu or Start Screens would be nice.
    Grouping and naming Tiles in the Start Menu would be a little tough though, with it's ability to shrink and expand.

Edwin, Dec 25, 2014
  10. Petey7 Win User
    Can you explain how exactly is it easier? As Swarfega said, its much faster to find what you're looking for, and you have so many options with how the apps are arranged. Lets say I want to open the desktop calculator program. With the start menu, I have to open it, click all programs, scroll down, click accessories, scroll down, click Calculator. With the start screen, I press the windows key and click on calculator. If I have it set to show pinned tiles first, I hit the windows key, scroll down, click calculator. That's it. Now, which is more efficient, a 6 step process or 2-3 step process? The other thing is, the start menu is limited to a corner of the screen. The start screen uses the middle of the screen. It may be subtle, but there is an increase in efficiency with that as well.

Petey7, Dec 26, 2014
  11. Edwin New Member
    You could accomplish the same with 2 clicks with the Start Menu as well.

I like both but I find the Start Menu to be way more versatile, positioning, dragging and dropping, etc.

Edwin, Dec 26, 2014
  12. WHS
    whs Win User
    I guess as usual, we'll get used to it. Remember the uproar when the Windows 8 start screen came out - and now a lot of people love it (including myself).

13. Edwin New Member

Yep! I'm good with all of it. A few minor annoyances here and there but nothing a can't live with. *Smile

Edwin, Dec 26, 2014
  14. Can you explain how exactly is it easier? As Swarfega said, its much faster to find what you're looking for, and you have so many options with how the apps are arranged. Lets say I want to open the desktop calculator program. With the start menu, I have to open it, click all programs, scroll down, click accessories, scroll down, click Calculator. With the start screen, I press the windows key and click on calculator. If I have it set to show pinned tiles first, I hit the windows key, scroll down, click calculator. That's it. Now, which is more efficient, a 6 step process or 2-3 step process? The other thing is, the start menu is limited to a corner of the screen. The start screen uses the middle of the screen. It may be subtle, but there is an increase in efficiency with that as well. If you had the Calculator pinned to the Start Menu, it would take fewer clicks (two). If you pinned it to the task bar, that would take still fewer clicks (one). Or you could press the Windows key and start typing Calculator.

I have over a hundred programs installed on my desktop machine and I use every one of them although most are rather infrequently. Since there is no way I'm going to remember the names of all of them, having a menu is essential for me. Scanning an alphabetical vertical list is one heck of a lot easier and faster than scrolling horizontally through over a hundred tiles.

Lady Fitzgerald, Dec 26, 2014
  15. dencal Win User
    Can you explain how exactly is it easier? As Swarfega said, its much faster to find what you're looking for, and you have so many options with how the apps are arranged. Lets say I want to open the desktop calculator program. With the start menu, I have to open it, click all programs, scroll down, click accessories, scroll down, click Calculator. With the start screen, I press the windows key and click on calculator. If I have it set to show pinned tiles first, I hit the windows key, scroll down, click calculator. That's it. Now, which is more efficient, a 6 step process or 2-3 step process? The other thing is, the start menu is limited to a corner of the screen. The start screen uses the middle of the screen. It may be subtle, but there is an increase in efficiency with that as well. If you had the Calculator pinned to the Start Menu, it would take fewer clicks (two). If you pinned it to the task bar, that would take still fewer clicks (one). Or you could press the Windows key and start typing Calculator.

I have over a hundred programs installed on my desktop machine and I use every one of them although most are rather infrequently. Since there is no way I'm going to remember the names of all of them, having a menu is essential for me. Scanning an alphabetical vertical list is one heck of a lot easier and faster than scrolling horizontally through over a hundred tiles. You obviously have your preferences, but others can see the benefits in both the APPS Screen and the desktop menu.

In the APPS Screen everything is in alphabetical order, the same as the desktop menu even grouping each manufacturers apps together, you also have other options, including the most used apps thereby shortening the list to choose from. Again a useful aide memoire for those with memory problems.
    Hopefully both options will be included in the final W10 release to the public which should then satisfy everyone.

dencal, Dec 26, 2014
Thema:

1. Hell Freezes Over: Users Now Want the Start Screen in... - Similar Threads - Hell Freezes Users

2. PC now starts randomly freezes or randomly starts restarting

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC now starts randomly freezes or randomly starts restarting: As the question stated, the PC either or just freezes or just randomly restarts. Been googling this on my brothers PC, could be a disk issue or a virus. We used HDTune to test the disk errors and there were 0 errors, this was done on safemode without networking since I was...
  3. PC now starts randomly freezes or randomly starts restarting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC now starts randomly freezes or randomly starts restarting: As the question stated, the PC either or just freezes or just randomly restarts. Been googling this on my brothers PC, could be a disk issue or a virus. We used HDTune to test the disk errors and there were 0 errors, this was done on safemode without networking since I was...
  4. PC now starts randomly freezes or randomly starts restarting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. blue screen hell

in Windows 10 Gaming
    blue screen hell: My pc keeps blue screening. it wont create a meomory dump file although i have all the settings. i believe its because it doesnt get the chance. when my pc blue screen it freezes on the bluescreen "screen" for about 1 second. the screen is faded so im assuming it didnt load....
  6. blue screen hell

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    blue screen hell: My pc keeps blue screening. it wont create a meomory dump file although i have all the settings. i believe its because it doesnt get the chance. when my pc blue screen it freezes on the bluescreen "screen" for about 1 second. the screen is faded so im assuming it didnt load....
  7. Rogue Start screen takes over

in Windows 10 Customization
    Rogue Start screen takes over: since last update, the Start screen takes over even when I want to go to another site, like email. And if they are open, when I try to move from one to another, Start shows up and shuts them down. I've tried turning off stuff under settings, but it still makes me lose work....
  8. I want to reset and start my PC over again

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I want to reset and start my PC over again: I want to reset and start my PC over again. Should I Fresh Start or Reset PC? My Wondows 10 says it is activated with a digital liscence linked to my Microsoft account. I Don't need to keep any of my files, i already backed them up. I don't need to save my settings either....
  9. start screen two users

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    start screen two users: how do I set the start screen to have two users with or without log ins? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-screen-two-users/e2c145f2-0595-48c4-9983-c70f44bf8d7e"
  10. Starting over

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Starting over: I recently upgraded to Win 10 and did something that wasn't too bright. I did the SFC / scannow in the prompt and got the "corrupt files but wasn't able to fix them all" after it was finished. I looked into doing the advanced restart to fix it but thought better about doing...