Windows 10: Hello! Recently transferred my hard drive to a new pc, can't activate Win 10 on new...

Discus and support Hello! Recently transferred my hard drive to a new pc, can't activate Win 10 on new... in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Can anybody help me figure out how to register my old Windows activation key on my new pc? I know that it can be done, but I"m apparently missing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by JBanks1, Apr 21, 2020.

1. JBanks1 Win User

Hello! Recently transferred my hard drive to a new pc, can't activate Win 10 on new...

Can anybody help me figure out how to register my old Windows activation key on my new pc? I know that it can be done, but I"m apparently missing something somewhere.

Thanks!

:)

JBanks1, Apr 21, 2020
  2. PKJ
    pkj Win User

Transfer a Windows 10 license to a new PC

I have purchased a new PC and I would like to transfer Windows license from my old PC to the new one. I am using Windows 10 (which was upgraded from Win 8.1) on my older computer and is activated with a licence linked to my Microsoft account. On my new PC, I have installed fresh copy of Win 10 using Media Creation Tool. To activate Windows on the new PC, I attempted the following, but have not deactivated Windows on the old PC (deactivation procedure described here)-

Settings > Update & Security > Activation> Troubleshoot> I changed hardware on this device recently> Logged into my connected Microsoft account > This is the device I’m using right now > Activate.

After performing the above, I am unable to activate Windows on my new PC. Please help me with the following-

1. Do I need to deactivate windows on older PC first?
    2. Does Microsoft entitle users to transfer licenses to new PC?
    3. Is there anything else which I have missed out?

If this helps- slmgr -dli gives the following

Hello! Recently transferred my hard drive to a new pc, can't activate Win 10 on new... LTP2X.jpg

3. Transfer Win 10 license to a new PC

Hello,

I bought a new PC and read that I can transfer my Windows 10 license to it and I have a few questions.

Few years ago I used Win 7 Pro license to install my two PC's.

When FREE update came I upgraded both of them to Windows 10 x64 PRO.

Yesterday I assembled a new PC which will replace one of them and I want to transfer the license to it from the one it is replacing.

The question is if I transfer the activation license will I lose the activation on the second PC or not?

What are the steps to do the actual license transfer?

Vladimir Jelovac, Apr 21, 2020
  4. PKJ
    pkj Win User

Hello! Recently transferred my hard drive to a new pc, can't activate Win 10 on new...

Transfer a Windows 10 license to a new PC

The process was rather simple, but I could not find the solution anywhere on the internet. The process detailed on How to transfer a Windows 10 license to a new PC or hard drive did not helped me.

I contacted windows support and they told me that I can activate Windows 10 on my new PC using the Windows 8.1 key which I used to upgrade to Win 10; this worked for me after deactivating Windows 10 on older PC using slmgr /upk.

Thema:

1. Hello! Recently transferred my hard drive to a new pc, can't activate Win 10 on new... - Similar Threads - Hello Recently transferred

2. Backup options for transfer of hard drive to new PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backup options for transfer of hard drive to new PC: Hello and thank you ahead of time for any input.I am building a PC with a new mobo, processor and cooler, and case. I'll be transferring my graphics card, RAM, and hard drives boots to SSD and there's a HDD for storage. I'm going from a Lenovo prebuilt PC with Lenovo mobo and...
  3. Backup options for transfer of hard drive to new PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Backup options for transfer of hard drive to new PC: Hello and thank you ahead of time for any input.I am building a PC with a new mobo, processor and cooler, and case. I'll be transferring my graphics card, RAM, and hard drives boots to SSD and there's a HDD for storage. I'm going from a Lenovo prebuilt PC with Lenovo mobo and...
  4. Backup options for transfer of hard drive to new PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. transfer hard drive to new DIY pc build

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    transfer hard drive to new DIY pc build: I have an old Dell desktop ~8 years old with two much newer Western Digital hard drives that I would like to use in a new DIY build. Are there possible problems, either with the Microsoft Windows 10 license or with interfacing into a new motherboard?...
  6. transfer win 10 to new pc

transfer win 10 to new pc: i already made post regarding this but i guess could not clearly explain there so i am buying new desktop assembled pc and i want to use same key and microsoft account i am using currently in my old pc . now my windows 10 home is retail version came with USB stick. i use...
  7. Transfer Windows to new Hard Drive?

Transfer Windows to new Hard Drive?: I have a laptop that came with Windows preinstalled. I recently bought a SSD to replace the HDD with, but I don't have any ability to clone the old hard drive to the new. I have all the files I need, but I don't want to have to buy Windows again. Is it possible to transfer...
  8. Transfer windows 10 to new hard drive

Transfer windows 10 to new hard drive: Windows 10 was installed on my computer when i bought it, about to upgrade hard drive, how do i get window10 on new drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-windows-10-to-new-hard-drive/8416286a-0f0e-412a-a166-567a3667d147
  9. Transfer OS to new hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transfer OS to new hard drive: Hello, I just ordered a new Seagate Barracuda 2tb HDD for my desktop and i was wondering how i could go about transferring my Windows 10 OS over along with some other software i have downloaded. I plan on combing my two hard drives into the new one, and trashing the...
  10. Transfer Win 10 to new PC

Transfer Win 10 to new PC: Windows 7 was upgraded to Windows 10 (32 bit). I have done a couple of clean installs since. I have built a new desktop and would like to transfer windows 10 (32 bit) to new comp and at the same time install 64 bit version. How do I go about it? Windows 7 was given to me as a...