Windows 10: Help and advice required

Discus and support Help and advice required in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi all I'm after a little advice from someone with a little more experience with networking. My lad has figured out that if he changes his MAC... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by cunny, Jan 4, 2017.

1. cunny Win User

Help and advice required

Hi all

I'm after a little advice from someone with a little more experience with networking.

My lad has figured out that if he changes his MAC address he can bypass parental controls. So, i figured set it up only to allow x MAC addresses. However i was limited to 16 addresses, which then i needed more due to wireless devices.

Anyway. Adter all the messing with that router, it decided to give up the ghost and die. So i bought a TPLINK Archer c59, horrible device and it getting sent back to Amazon in the morning. Ive now got a Asus router, but that dont allow LAN MAC filtering, and the wireless MAC filtering seems a little hit and miss.

So, as the house has cat6e throughout, i thought ~~~~ it, get another NIC and put him through my PC by running a new CAT6e into loft where my pc is stationed.

So i want to know which would be easiest solution to block him at x time. Remember he can change his MAC/IP/PC Name i either need to disconnect him via my MAC address in router access table (would this work or would it act like a switch as its not data end point?)

Any suggestions ideas guys

:)

cunny, Jan 4, 2017

2. 6233: Advice required...

That's why it didn't crash - it was very old and probably relayed on mechanics rather than electronics in order to fly.

Otherwise, you should have done this: Menu - Settings - Connectivity - Bluetooth - Paired devices - Options - Pair new device. The phone would go "Searching for devices", then list the devices. Select "Boeing 737" or whatever plane type you find in the list,
    setup a passcode and start controlling the plane with your phone's joystick!

This is, of course, a joke. Use the flight mode, that's why it was implemented. I even patched my SE K750i's software so that it cuts off the GSM communication if I select the "Office" profile (this phone doesn't have a "flight mode" profile by default) so
    that I would be able to use it while flying, just like I can use my other phone, the huge disappointment called Nokia 6233.

catalinux---01, Jan 4, 2017
  3. korngear Win User
    6233: Advice required...

That sucks man.

What is the point?

korngear, Jan 4, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Help and advice required

Does his the computer have the capability to be connected by wired Ethernet, and if so can it be permanently disabled or so inconvenient as to make it impossible to connect without you knowing it?

The reason I ask is that most modern routers now have guest WiFi capability. You basically end up with two separate WiFi networks. My thinking would be that your primary WiFi network that the adults use will have a password that only the adults know. You can also hide the SSID so the adults would not only have the password to themselves, but they would also have to manually connect to the hidden network.

The guest WiFi would be for the child and most of the routers that have a guest WiFi channel also have all the settings available associated with it, included scheduling when it is available.

Another option would be relatively the same - your main WiFi you keep for yourself and you get a second router and or WiFi bridge that the child connects to and you set the schedule for when that router provides a connection.

Does your son have a cell phone with WiFi/data capability? It's pretty easy for him to use that as his own hotspot and connect the computer through it, BTW.

NavyLCDR, Jan 4, 2017
  5. cunny Win User
    Hi and thanks for the reply.

He has his own pc on a cat6e (well had waiting on new cable arriving)

I've considered this with guest network however there are only 'lease' times say 1 day 2 hours no set schedule like parental controls.

Atm I'm networking my main pc to my laptop to try severing mac address there however from trial it still passes though so this might not work.

cunny, Jan 4, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Then I would look at a second cheap router. What about your old one that you are replacing with the ASUS? The second router would fill the role you are currently trying to achieve with your PC.

NavyLCDR, Jan 4, 2017
  7. cunny Win User
    I have. Still serves no purpose. New main router handle all dhcp and Mac filtering won't work as it acts as a switch in ap mode so data passes through on its way to the end point

cunny, Jan 4, 2017
  8. John Galt Win User

Help and advice required

If your router will run DD-WRT, then you could get the MAC filtering and more.

Can't you take away his admin privilege on the computer in question?

John Galt, Jan 4, 2017
  9. Bree New Member
    Low-tech brute force method: Put a mini-hub (like this) between him and the router and plug its power supply into a timer switch (like this). Oh, and lock it away in a cupboard *Smile

Bree, Jan 4, 2017
  10. cunny Win User
    The switch mentioned I tried a netgear similar however it had no mac blocking/allow tables. Nor schedules.

I don't want to touch his pc to put admin control on as it's his,he bought it.

Other than timers on the electric outlet I can't believe there is no other way?

cunny, Jan 4, 2017
  11. John Galt Win User
    Just to be clear, you need working MAC address filtering at the router level and your ASUS router is spotty on this feature (at least on Wifi)?

Here are a few thoughts:

0. Report defect on mac wifi filtering to ASUS
    1. Firmware update from Asus..are you running the latest?
    2. Turn your idea around: turn off DHCP, use static IP addresses assigned by the router at the MAC address level...if it has that feature...and this may be problematic
    3. Reflash your router with DD-WRT, if your router supports DD-WRT and you are up for reflashing your router with non-stock firmware, this will probably have the features you need. Here are a few links to review:

Access Restrictions - DD-WRT Wiki
    Adding security to your WIFI network with a MAC whitelist. | SnazCom Information Technology Consultants, Surrey, BC.

4. If all this fails, then maybe look at using DNS level filtering instead of MAC based filtering:

Introducing FamilyShield Parental Controls, the Easiest Way to Keep Kids Safe Online | OpenDNS
    Web Content Filtering and Security – OpenDNS

John Galt, Jan 4, 2017
  12. RolandJS Win User
    "...I don't want to touch his pc to put admin control on as it's his,he bought it..." Yes, however, it is your house, your modem/router, your network, your rules -- that ought to trump his bypassing the computer behavior rules of the household; by the way, how old is this lad?
    You did not give details as to what he does after bypassing parental rules, however, if he ever crosses certain lines, the blowback might be also on you. Maybe it's time to gently, firmly, have a few sit-downs [with lots of listening on both sides] during quiet times to give features and benefits of obeying household computer rules and at least some of the possible consequences of running afoul of certain boundaries.

RolandJS, Jan 4, 2017
  13. cunny Win User

Help and advice required

I know exactly what you mean and he has been punished however as it's his last year of school I wanted to automate it kicking him off at x time on x x day.

If I put the Internet connection via a pcie card, his through the motherboard, putting my pc to sleep on x day at x time should work as won't it power down the pci/e slots

cunny, Jan 5, 2017
  14. cunny Win User
    Thanks for all the input guys. Looks like it will be another router to allow LAN MAC filtering. Or I use the pc as mentioned.

Can windows 10 be set to sleep/wake at certain times?

cunny, Jan 5, 2017
  15. John Galt Win User
    John Galt, Jan 6, 2017
Thema:

Help and advice required

1. Help and advice required - Similar Threads - Help advice required

2. I need help or advice

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need help or advice: My pc will boot normally and everything hit it won’t connect to my monitor and my mouse also doesn’t work. I’ve tried restarting. The pc, fully powering everything down, checking connections on different ports tried removing all the peripherals and restarting, removing and...
  3. I need help or advice

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I need help or advice: My pc will boot normally and everything hit it won’t connect to my monitor and my mouse also doesn’t work. I’ve tried restarting. The pc, fully powering everything down, checking connections on different ports tried removing all the peripherals and restarting, removing and...
  4. need advice and help with my tower

in Windows 10 Gaming
    need advice and help with my tower: i have and older tower thats dell windows xp microsoft that im trying to get back up for my 74 year old friend and i needed a little help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-advice-and-help-with-my-tower/5cf17205-db85-4244-bc7a-90637708c87b
  5. PCIe SATA advice required please

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PCIe SATA advice required please: I've hit the limit of 6TB drives with my motherboard although no mention of it in the manual and zero response from the manufacturer. So I need a PCIe card which will enable a couple of SATA 8TB drives - no RAID. Have tried one today and apparently that had a 4TB limit...
  6. Anyone able to help or give advice?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Anyone able to help or give advice?: I recently shut down my computer to update as I do regularly. However, when I turned the system back on, I am logged into a temporary account, with none of my files and none of my data etc. I’ve spent 4 hours looking up how to get back into my permanent user, and I just can’t...
  7. Help required

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help required: I was running the insider 19645 build till this morning but then i got a notifcation saying this build of windows is going to expire soon, i then updated to 20161 but the notification didn't go away Edit: I'm on Windows 10 Preview Release Pls help me submitted by...
  8. help please, need advice

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    help please, need advice: Hi guys, my dad is wanting to find some software to help write short storys on youtube. He has seen people videos where the books scrolls itself down the page like a virtual book, some have imagines like a word pad in the background, we have looked all over for some simple...
  9. Hardware upgrade advice required

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hardware upgrade advice required: My PC has ECS - H61H2-M2 motherboard. It has 8GB DDR3 RAM. The processor is i3-2100 @3.10 GHz. The graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 of 2GB capacity. The power supply is 450W. The motherboard, processor, one stick of 4GB DD3 RAM, power supply were bought in 2011 or 2012....
  10. Help and or advice needed

in Windows 10 Support
    Help and or advice needed: I am running Windows 10. I currently attach a hdmi cable from laptop to tv. Is it possible to stream one thing from laptop onto tv screen and simultaneously surf the net using laptop monitor? Thanks 39170