Windows 10: Help! can't delete file with special characters

Discus and support Help! can't delete file with special characters in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I downloaded a video using video download helper from youtube. didnt realize the filename had special characters and now i can't delete it. I tried... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/zapfino, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Help! can't delete file with special characters

I downloaded a video using video download helper from youtube. didnt realize the filename had special characters and now i can't delete it. I tried using cmd, installed farmanager and 7zip but every time i try to delete the file, the program just hangs there.

submitted by /u/zapfino
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/zapfino, Dec 2, 2020

2. Can't delete folder in Windows 10 with special character

I have a similar problem as in Can't delete folder (in Windows 10) that contains special character in that I get the exact same error message when trying to delete a specific folder.

From Can't delete folder (in Windows 10) that contains special character and from Can't delete folder in Windows 7, it seems the work-around is to try to use the 8.3 DOS name.

But, when I do a dir /x, I don't get an 8.3 DOS name... Per the dir help page:

So, I guess in my case my directory does not have an 8.3 equivalent and that's apparently a "normal" thing. I did not see any other suggestions on how to delete directories with special characters, short of booting a live version of Linux...

Any other ideas?

Markus Lankeit, Dec 2, 2020
  3. LittleJay Win User
    ALT Key Codes for Special Characters List

Thanks for this PDF file list of special characters! It will come in very handy, *Thumbs

LittleJay, Dec 2, 2020
  4. JeanWall Win User

Help! can't delete file with special characters

How do I use or find Help for using Character Map?

Below are instructions I have followed to a T. It does not work. I have had my husband and daughter follow these directions and they get nothing.

How do I insert a special character into a document?

• Open Character Map by clicking the Start button . ...
      • Click the Font list, and then click the font you want to use.
      • Click the special character you want to insert into the document.
      • Click Select, and then click Copy.

• More items...

Using special characters (Character Map ... - Windows

windows.microsoft.com/.../windows/using-special-chara...

Microsoft Windows

JeanWall, Dec 2, 2020
Thema:

Help! can't delete file with special characters

1. Help! can't delete file with special characters - Similar Threads - Help can't delete

2. removing file extentions with special characters

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    removing file extentions with special characters: I have downloaded data but the files have additional extensions with special characters. I need to remove this but rename does not work as it doesn't recognise the special characters.the files names are as follow...
  3. Special characters in file names

Special characters in file names: Hi, since this morning out of a blue any of my files that contains special character Norwegian letters or files that stored in a folder that contains special character can not be seen in the preview pane, only an error message "File not found" is shown.Is there any setting to...
  4. Special characters in file names

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Special characters in file names: Hi, since this morning out of a blue any of my files that contains special character Norwegian letters or files that stored in a folder that contains special character can not be seen in the preview pane, only an error message "File not found" is shown.Is there any setting to...
  5. Special characters in file names

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Editing an MP3 file with special characters

Editing an MP3 file with special characters: Every time I try to edit an mp3 file for the title using characters like "®" and also "ý" they either appear as a question mark in groove music or sometimes using old norse characters they just show up as regular alphabetical characters. Anyone know how to fix this?...
  7. Editing an MP3 file with special characters

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Editing an MP3 file with special characters: Every time I try to edit an mp3 file for the title using characters like "®" and also "ý" they either appear as a question mark in groove music or sometimes using old norse characters they just show up as regular alphabetical characters. Anyone know how to fix this?...
  8. Editing an MP3 file with special characters

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. how to delete temp special character folder?

how to delete temp special character folder?: Hi, How can I delete a special character folder in windows 10? the folder contains zero bytes. I try to delete cmd, but it doesn't work out. [ATTACH]...
  10. special character ¥

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    special character ¥: I usually use three languages, English, Traditional Chinese and Japanese. And I, always, need to type the specail character "¥" using the keyboard combination of [ALT]165, but this cannot be done using English language keyboard, it will return a "?", only when I switch to...