Windows 10: Help! can't delete file with special characters

Discus and support Help! can't delete file with special characters in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I downloaded a video using video download helper from youtube. didnt realize the filename had special characters and now i can't delete it. I tried... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/zapfino, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Help! can't delete file with special characters

I downloaded a video using video download helper from youtube. didnt realize the filename had special characters and now i can't delete it. I tried using cmd, installed farmanager and 7zip but every time i try to delete the file, the program just hangs there.

submitted by /u/zapfino
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/zapfino, Dec 2, 2020

2. Can't delete folder in Windows 10 with special character

I have a similar problem as in Can't delete folder (in Windows 10) that contains special character in that I get the exact same error message when trying to delete a specific folder.

From Can't delete folder (in Windows 10) that contains special character and from Can't delete folder in Windows 7, it seems the work-around is to try to use the 8.3 DOS name.

But, when I do a dir /x, I don't get an 8.3 DOS name... Per the dir help page:

So, I guess in my case my directory does not have an 8.3 equivalent and that's apparently a "normal" thing. I did not see any other suggestions on how to delete directories with special characters, short of booting a live version of Linux...

Any other ideas?

Markus Lankeit, Dec 2, 2020
  3. LittleJay Win User
    ALT Key Codes for Special Characters List

Thanks for this PDF file list of special characters! It will come in very handy, *Thumbs

LittleJay, Dec 2, 2020
  4. JeanWall Win User

Help! can't delete file with special characters

How do I use or find Help for using Character Map?

Below are instructions I have followed to a T. It does not work. I have had my husband and daughter follow these directions and they get nothing.

How do I insert a special character into a document?

• Open Character Map by clicking the Start button . ...
      • Click the Font list, and then click the font you want to use.
      • Click the special character you want to insert into the document.
      • Click Select, and then click Copy.

• More items...

Using special characters (Character Map ... - Windows

windows.microsoft.com/.../windows/using-special-chara...

Microsoft Windows

JeanWall, Dec 2, 2020
Thema:

Help! can't delete file with special characters

1. Help! can't delete file with special characters - Similar Threads - Help can't delete

2. how to delete temp special character folder?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to delete temp special character folder?: Hi, How can I delete a special character folder in windows 10? the folder contains zero bytes. I try to delete cmd, but it doesn't work out. [ATTACH]...
  3. Dropping a special character into text

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dropping a special character into text: A few years ago I used to have a facility, when typing a document, to drag a special character, eg a mathematical symbol, from a small font app displayed at the side of my text, and drop it into the body of my document. I have looked everywhere for this little app which,...
  4. Special characters in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    Special characters in Windows 10?: Where is the program that shows special characters with their Alt keys? 148825
  5. special character ¥

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    special character ¥: I usually use three languages, English, Traditional Chinese and Japanese. And I, always, need to type the specail character "¥" using the keyboard combination of [ALT]165, but this cannot be done using English language keyboard, it will return a "?", only when I switch to...
  6. My special characters are not working.

My special characters are not working.: I have installed both french and spanish keyboards but somehow it is not possible to do a trema above letters or use the wave spanishn or a single accent on an e etc.. I have checked with my on screenkey board and my ctrl are both being registered when used. However, when I...
  7. having problem typing special characters @ and "

having problem typing special characters @ and ": Just cleaned the keyboard after switching off my laptop. Since then I am having problem typing @ and " characters. May be coincidental. Have checked and the language input is on English (US). Please help...
  8. Corrupt thumb drive - files with special characters can't be removed

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Corrupt thumb drive - files with special characters can't be removed: I have a work thumb drive with a ton of data on it. Unfortunately between using several computers I think I picked up a virus, although no viruses have been detected. I have tried using my CMD controls to delete these files. I can the actual / real files are there, but...
  9. Special characters in Win10

in Windows 10 Support
    Special characters in Win10: Hi, we have a bit of a weird issue with special characters. (kind of hard to explain but I`ll try) We are currently running a Win10 pilot, and the users are saying that the special characters, like é and õ, differs from Windows 7, even though the language input (norwegian) is...
  10. Searching for special characters

in Windows 10 Support
    Searching for special characters: Hi all! I just purchased a new Dell with Windows 10. I had a Dell with Windows XP SP3 for ages, and when I made the mistake of updating one of my drivers... Well, it was getting to be time to update... I've a few more grey hairs now. Anyway, in my old machine, when I...