Windows 10: Help: Can't Delete FIles From Desktop

Discus and support Help: Can't Delete FIles From Desktop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey all, I'm looking for advice on how to fix this strange problem: I cannot delete a subgroup of files from my desktop. - If I create a new file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Major Bystander, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Help: Can't Delete FIles From Desktop

Hey all,
    I'm looking for advice on how to fix this strange problem: I cannot delete a subgroup of files from my desktop.

- If I create a new file (using Notepad) I can easily delete the file
    - I can move an offending file to another folder but am still unable to delete it
    - I changed the file properties ('read only') several times but am still unable to delete
    - I used Unlocker (1.9.2) but it reports no lock on the file in question. Even so, I *was* able to delete the file using Unlocker
    - Attempting the same on copies in Onedrive yields the same result
    - Latest Windows 10 with most recent updates installed
    - I followed a 'solution' offered by a msft rep on a forum. It involved sfc, some other steps and Powershell script but it did not work

Any ideas what's caused this? Any ideas how to solve?

Tia - MB

:)

Major Bystander, Jan 11, 2019
  2. MohanC Win User

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Jan 11, 2019
  3. Cant Delete Files From Desktop

Well, ran into a weird bug with vista, for some reason i cant delete files from desktop, this normaly happens to .exe files, the ONLY fix seems to be to KILL explorer.exe, and delete the file, then restat explorer, anybody got any idea why this happens?

Rebo&Zooty, Jan 11, 2019
  4. Help: Can't Delete FIles From Desktop

All Desktop Files & Folders Deleted Overnight! Please Help!

I logged on to Win 10 Professional this morning to find all of my desktop files were deleted. NOT HIDDEN!!

• I have gone to look for the folders and files via windows explorer, and they are not there. (c:\users\user\desktop). I also checked Public, Default and Default.migrated (last modified 10/5/2016).
    • The last time User (that's me) was updated was 10/9/17. Desktop was last updated 10/9/17 at 10:08 p.m. (I'm not sure if I was logged on at that time or not).
    • Interestingly, the attributes for Desktop is set to Read-only. Hmmmm
    • I've checked the event viewer and see nothing out of the ordinary.
    • Apps that I left running were still up-and-running
    • One file I created yesterday, that was still up and running (a .txt file) was still there.
    • Windows Firewall is running
    • All security patches are up-to-date
    • Computer is regularly scanned for malware
    • Scan this morning turned-up nothing
    • The only listed users are System, myself and Adminstrators
    • Both my password and pin are strong
    • I do not have a folder entitle "window.old" as another solution herein suggests looking in
    • There are no "funky" services running
    • Searching for the files and folder yields nothing

Oh, thank god! They were in my recycle bin.... but I did not do do this. First, all of the folders and files would have to have been selected, delete hit, confirmation requested and given. I definitely did not go through these steps.

What could have done this?

Thank kindly!

Signed, Anxious

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Desktop, Start, & personalization / PC

DermodIves, Jan 11, 2019
Thema:

Help: Can't Delete FIles From Desktop

1. Help: Can't Delete FIles From Desktop - Similar Threads - Help Can't Delete

2. Can't delete a file from my desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't delete a file from my desktop: I downloaded a file from a tax website onto my desktop. The file was automatically labelled by the provider as follows:"1099 E-File, E-File 1099-MISC, 1099-K Form Online, 1099-INT Form Online, 1099-DIV Form Online, 1042-S Form Online, 1099-A Form Online, 1099-B Form Online,...
  3. Can't delete a file from my desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't delete a file from my desktop: I downloaded a file from a tax website onto my desktop. The file was automatically labelled by the provider as follows:"1099 E-File, E-File 1099-MISC, 1099-K Form Online, 1099-INT Form Online, 1099-DIV Form Online, 1042-S Form Online, 1099-A Form Online, 1099-B Form Online,...
  4. Can't delete Excel file from desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't delete Excel file from desktop: You probably think, "Go check the thousands of other posts and replies about the problem!" but trust me, nothing works!I'll try to keep it short. Got an email from the boss with an xlsx attachment. The attachment didn't 'save as' due to permission issues but 'right click ->...
  5. Can't delete Excel file from desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't delete Excel file from desktop: You probably think, "Go check the thousands of other posts and replies about the problem!" but trust me, nothing works!I'll try to keep it short. Got an email from the boss with an xlsx attachment. The attachment didn't 'save as' due to permission issues but 'right click ->...
  6. I can't delete or rename a file from the desktop!!!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I can't delete or rename a file from the desktop!!!: Hello, so I've been trying to delete a file from my desktop, but it just doesn't seem to work. I try to ove it to the recycle bin but either nothing happens or the progress bar appears but it doesn't progress anything, I even tried shredding the file with File Shredder, but...
  7. Deleting files from desktop.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting files from desktop.: For some reason, my Windows 10 operating system says I need permission first, in order to delete a folders and its files for Adobe Acrobat Reader. How do I get permission to do this?...
  8. Can't delete files on desktop

Can't delete files on desktop: Hi I've had this problem for a while now...I can't delete or move items on my desktop unless I restart my PC. Please don't post links on how to set permissions, I've tried that MANY times. It does say I don't have permission but I'm the ONLY user and it works fine after...
  9. Can't delete files from my desktop

Can't delete files from my desktop: I saved 2 files as PDFs. I couldn't rename them and now I cannot delete them from the desk top. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-delete-files-from-my-desktop/e94377c9-6ed5-4b7b-9aec-c0dab6d14ba7"
  10. Can't delete file on Desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't delete file on Desktop: There is a rar file on my desktop which I can not delete. It was from a wallpaper pack I was downloading from MEGA but I had cancelled it before it finished. Now it is on my desktop and no matter what I do it won't be deleted. I am not able to press delete as it says it needs...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant delete from desktop

2. cant delete files on desktop

3. why i cant delete file from server desktop

4. load of files on desktop and cant delete,
  5. cant delete folders on desktop,
  6. calalina cant delete from desktop,
  7. eda-server.properties cant delete from desktop,
  8. i cant delete files from desktop,
  9. cant delete documents from desktop,
  10. cant delete desktop files on windows,
  11. cant delete files windows 10 desktop