Windows 10: [HELP] Can’t play HEVC with Windows 10 movies app

Discus and support [HELP] Can’t play HEVC with Windows 10 movies app in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; It used to play them but all of a sudden it stopped working I tried removing the package then installing the one from that windows package archive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/rotiserrie25, Nov 19, 2020.

1. [HELP] Can’t play HEVC with Windows 10 movies app

It used to play them but all of a sudden it stopped working I tried removing the package then installing the one from that windows package archive site, it worked but was stuttering like 3 fps

I’ve fixed it before now it doesn’t work help

submitted by /u/rotiserrie25
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/rotiserrie25, Nov 19, 2020
  2. akgt94 Win User

Directories with HEVC/x265 or Hi10p/10bit video sluggish

This was working for me in the Anniversary Update and Creators Update, but has been slowly going downhill after the Fall Creators Update (build 1709). After updating to the Fall Creators Update, I could sometimes get thumbnails to show up in Explorer, sometimes
    not. I could sometimes get HEVC video to play in Movies & TV and Movie Moments, sometimes not. Now File Explorer won't create any HEVC thumbnails and HEVC video won't play in any of the Microsoft desktop or metro apps.

Here's what I've been able to piece together from a couple of different sources:

• Microsoft removed native HEVC support from the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update.
    • If you applied a feature update from a previous version (Creators, etc.), you were supposed to retain HEVC support. Wasn't quite true for me, which is how I found this thread. The work-around I mentioned in a previous reply has now stopped working.
    • Update KB4041994 enables SOME systems to ADD HEVC support back. There's a hidden app in the Microsoft Store called "HEVC Video Extension". Windows may add it manually. The app only enables HARDWARE HEVC decoding.
      You need a video card or processor released within the last ~year to get it though (Kaby Lake, Kaby Lake Refresh and Coffee Lake, and GPUs like AMD's RX 400, RX 500 and RX Vega 56/64, and Nividia's GeForce GTX 1000 and GTX 950 and 960 series.)
    • One of the sources suggests software HEVC decoding might become available as a paid app in the Windows Store in the future. No further info available.
    I did a clean install of the Fall Creators Update in Virtualbox. Applied all the updates and installed the "HEVC Video Extension" from the store. MP4 opens in Movies & TV metro app; HEVC video is blank, but HE-AAC audio plays. The slow folder refresh issue
    with HEVC files exists.

I have a mid-range desktop processor and video card from early 2013. VLC plays 1080p HEVC using just a couple of percent CPU. I can encode 480p 30FPS in real time using the x.265 Medium preset. My system doesn't need hardware-accelerated encoding / decoding.

As for the original issue. I took someone's suggestion and installed Icaros. Explorer refresh is speedy and I get thumbnails not only for HEVC MP4/MKV, but also FLV (like Icaros claims - anything FFMPEG can decode).

Additional info:

akgt94, Nov 19, 2020
  3. Surface Pro HEVC Support

I have downloaded 1080p movies encoded in the new h.265 (HEVC) format on my 1st gen Surface Pro. I read online prior to getting Windows 10 that HEVC/h.265 will be supported. I now have Windows 10, but when I go to play the videos it plays, but just the
    audio. My question is, is it the Surface that isn't compatible with the HEVC movie, or is Windows 10?

bryanedwards441, Nov 19, 2020
  4. newtekie1 Win User

[HELP] Can’t play HEVC with Windows 10 movies app

PC for playing HEVC

I don't know about that, my N2930 struggles to smoothly play 1080p HEVC videos.

But my Pentium G4600 plays 4k HEVC just fine, so I'm sure the i3-8100 will easily.

newtekie1, Nov 19, 2020
Thema:

[HELP] Can’t play HEVC with Windows 10 movies app

1. [HELP] Can’t play HEVC with Windows 10 movies app - Similar Threads - HELP Can’t play

2. HEVC not playing properly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HEVC not playing properly: Hi I have videos from my Samsung phone in HEVC format which are not playing properly in Windows 10. I have bought HEVC codec from Microsoft Store but still these videos are only playing half screen and rest is grey/green color. I can play these videos in VLC player but not in...
  3. HEVC not playing properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HEVC not playing properly: Hi I have videos from my Samsung phone in HEVC format which are not playing properly in Windows 10. I have bought HEVC codec from Microsoft Store but still these videos are only playing half screen and rest is grey/green color. I can play these videos in VLC player but not in...
  4. HEVC not playing properly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Videos won't play-Movies & TV app Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Videos won't play-Movies & TV app Windows 10: Windows 10-Videos Movies & TV is set as my default app in settings. When I double click on a video, the video image loads OK, but when I hit the play button, nothing happens. However, when the same clip isopened with Windows Media Player, it plays fine. Question: If...
  6. No audio when playing HEVC videos using Windows Movies & TV

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    No audio when playing HEVC videos using Windows Movies & TV: I own a laptop capable of decoding HEVC (i7-8550U, MX150) . I have HEVC Video Extensions from Microsoft store installed. Movies & TV is able to decode x265 images, but no audio. Does anyone know how to fix this (I know I can switch to VLC or other program, but I would love to...
  7. Unable to play hevc files in Movies and TV app

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to play hevc files in Movies and TV app: [ATTACH] Please Help, I can't play some videos in Movies and TV app, whenever I click on the file, The App goes into a weird full screen with dark no video and then immediately crashes. I've noted the codec from VLC, a screenshot of codec information of the file is posted...
  8. Windows 10 Movie won't play

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Movie won't play: Hi, I made a video using Windows Movie Maker 10 but it will only play when I am connected to the internet at work. If I try to play the video at home, it won't work. Any ideas how I can get the video to play at home. It is my holiday video so I want to share it with my...
  9. Movies and TV app not playing movies in vr headset

Movies and TV app not playing movies in vr headset: The app shows a black screen in my HTC Vive headset when trying to play movies. Plays fine on my monitor. In headset only sound, subtitles and the pop up showing what the film is when loading, but no film. Can watch Netflix fine, Youtube fine. Unsure if this has always been a...
  10. Play dvd in windows 10 movies and tv app

Play dvd in windows 10 movies and tv app: I don't know how to play dvd in windows 10 movies and tv app and I've been trying for over half an hour now, can anyone help this idiot child? - X (the idiot child)...