Windows 10: HELP! Changed location for 'Desktop' has overwritten my 'User' - How do I fix?

Discus and support HELP! Changed location for 'Desktop' has overwritten my 'User' - How do I fix? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I was preparing my PC by changing the default locations of the folders such as Videos, Photos, Documents etc, so that they would be on my OneDrive on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/JonnyMaby, Dec 26, 2020.

1. HELP! Changed location for 'Desktop' has overwritten my 'User' - How do I fix?

I was preparing my PC by changing the default locations of the folders such as Videos, Photos, Documents etc, so that they would be on my OneDrive on the C:\, which I had just moved across from my J:\ which I am replacing.

My Desktop 'location' was also set to my J:\ drive. As mentioned, I am replacing my J:\ so I tried to change my Desktop 'location' (Via Desktop Properties (right click desktop icon in file explorer)).

This has however caused a problem where it has overwritten my 'user' under C:\users\.

Previously, my user was C:\users\jon\

Now, it is C:\users\Desktop

If I go back into Desktop Properties, it recognises it as C:\Users\jon\Desktop still, however, when I physically go to C:\Users, there is no 'jon' and it's 'Desktop', with the Desktop Icon.

How can I fix this? I feel like I've hugely broken my Windows by doing this and don't want to lose anything!!

submitted by /u/JonnyMaby
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/JonnyMaby, Dec 26, 2020

2. Can I Change My Default Desktop Location??

Hello Lucas,

You may change the default location for the desktop and library folders on Windows 10.

To change the default location of the folders, please follow these steps:

• Click Start, type This PC and press
      Enter
    • Right-click the Desktop folder and select Properties.
    • Go to Location tab and click Move.
    • Find the new location for the Desktop folder and click
      Select
      Folder.
    • Click OK to finish.

The steps must be done on each of the library folders.

Regards.

Devlin Sco, Dec 26, 2020
  3. Nicrite Win User
    Vista Ultimate - 'User' Folder Location

No tried that.

Can copy the entire folder to D; but Windows still points to C as the location. Can change personal folders location to a folder on D;, but this still leaves hidden files etc on C;. Thus meaning there are 2 Users folders. Have managed to change the Public folder location to D;, with some registry tweaks, but this doesnt seem to work for the entire folder.

any more suggestions

Nicrite, Dec 26, 2020
  4. HELP! Changed location for 'Desktop' has overwritten my 'User' - How do I fix?

Private and User Desktop Switched Places

"The desktop" can be stored in any folder, and there's a setting for where you want it to be. It can also be "easily" changed by drag-dropping, which often causes issues like you see.

To fix it, is probably just a few things:

• Go to your C:\Users\Jgo folder. Right-click the desktop folder and choose Properties. On the location tab, make sure it's correct there. If not correct, change it to the right place and restart. At the end you still may need to drag your icons from the
      public folder back to your real desktop.
    • If still no success, or if the location tab doesn't show up, you can use the steps here to fix it: Desktop folder moved

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Dec 26, 2020
Thema:

HELP! Changed location for 'Desktop' has overwritten my 'User' - How do I fix?

1. HELP! Changed location for 'Desktop' has overwritten my 'User' - How do I fix? - Similar Threads - HELP Changed location

2. When I start my PC, it shows the Desktop located at user/OneDrive/Desktop. How do I change...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I start my PC, it shows the Desktop located at user/OneDrive/Desktop. How do I change...: When I start my PC, it shows the Desktop located at user/OneDrive/Desktop. How do I change so that it starts at user/Desktop instead https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-i-start-my-pc-it-shows-the-desktop-located-at/5e7c8f1b-6ff0-4af3-8504-45e227810df7
  3. When I start my PC, it shows the Desktop located at user/OneDrive/Desktop. How do I change...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When I start my PC, it shows the Desktop located at user/OneDrive/Desktop. How do I change...: When I start my PC, it shows the Desktop located at user/OneDrive/Desktop. How do I change so that it starts at user/Desktop instead https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-i-start-my-pc-it-shows-the-desktop-located-at/5e7c8f1b-6ff0-4af3-8504-45e227810df7
  4. How do i change user

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do i change user: Ive tried to move user accounts off C: drive. Than i made a new user to see if files appear on the mew location. They didn't nor did they appear on C drive. I restarted the PC thinking it might solvr the issue.On login screen only the newly made test account is visible....
  5. the layout of my desktop icons has changed, how do i restore it?

in Windows 10 Customization
    the layout of my desktop icons has changed, how do i restore it?: the layout of my desktop icons has changed, how do i restore it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-layout-of-my-desktop-icons-has-changed-how-do/e2f781aa-ca3b-4300-af66-9aed5fa81032
  6. How do I change the location of a user's directory (C:\Users\User)?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How do I change the location of a user's directory (C:\Users\User)?: Hello! Version 20H2 (19042.867) I would like to change the directory of a user's directory (%HOMEPATH%) or C:\Users\User I know that I can change the directories of Documents, Music, Videos, etc. but I want to change the whole User Directory and move it to a different...
  7. How do I change the desktop location back to its default location?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I change the desktop location back to its default location?: Hi I have a ZBook 17 G3 running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. I was copying some files to my external HD. I don't know what I did, but somehow I changed the Desktop's location to the External drive. How do I correct this? I see where to change the location but I'm not...
  8. Changed my only user profile to 'Desktop' by mistake, how can I fix?

in Windows 10 Support
    Changed my only user profile to 'Desktop' by mistake, how can I fix?: To provide some context, I was preparing my PC by changing the default locations of the folders such as Videos, Photos, Documents etc, so that they would be on my OneDrive on the C:\, which I had just moved across from my J:\ which I am replacing. My Desktop 'location' was...
  9. My Desktop Has Blurry Font - How Do I Fix This?

in Windows 10 Support
    My Desktop Has Blurry Font - How Do I Fix This?: My desktop has produced blurry font. I never changed the scaling or whatsoever. I dont know if this has anything to do with the Win 10 Anniversary Update that i installed a few days ago. But how do I fix this? 64200
  10. how do i change the location of 'documents'?

in Windows 10 Support
    how do i change the location of 'documents'?: Recently I've reset my laptop so i could use it for my education. However, since the reset the 'my documents' (and Pictures) user-folder at 'my PC' has been changed to the onedrive equivalent. I've tried turning off onedrive by changing my group policy, but it turned out...