Windows 10: Help choosing default app for files

Discus and support Help choosing default app for files in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi, I have a good amount of webp images in my computer and I like to use the default Photos app to visualize them. I downloaded something called... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/SorryRefrigerator, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Help choosing default app for files

Hi, I have a good amount of webp images in my computer and I like to use the default Photos app to visualize them. I downloaded something called 'codecs webp' or similar so I could see my images on the default photo visualizer and it worked fine.

Today, when I was going to open an image, Windows didn't open the image automatically, instead asked me what app I wanted to use to open the file. Photos is not an option, just Chrome or Paint. If I click on 'another app' Photos is not an option. If I go to 'Look for an app on your PC' I don't know where the Photos app is, and the only option left is Microsoft Store. What should I do to use Photos to open webp images? It worked perfectly fine until this morning. In fact you can see the mini images on the file explorer.

If I go to settings 'choose default app for file type' or something similar (my computer is not in English) the options are much more limited. I don't know if this is the right sub to ask this but any help would be very appreciated.

I found Windows really anoying to be honest, I have had similar problems with the most simple options like using a different app to open PDF files, Windows keeps ignoring that I set another default app to open PDFs and it automatically uses Edge, and the search bar is a joke, when I type a file or an app that I know perfectly that is stored in my computer it says that he couldn't find it and sends me to Bing...

submitted by /u/SorryRefrigerator
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/SorryRefrigerator, Nov 3, 2019
  2. Argel Obm Win User

Choosing Default Apps & Insider Programme

To resolve your concern, kindly choose the default apps by file type. To do this, follow these steps:

• Click the Windows logo (Start button).
    • Click the gear icon (Settings).
    • Choose System.
    • Select Default apps.
    • Click Choose default apps by file type.
    • Check all of the video file type, and then check if you can change the default app to your preferred application.
    After performing the steps, kindly share with us the result

Argel Obm, Nov 3, 2019
  3. kormath Win User
    Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done Help choosing default app for files :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Nov 3, 2019
  4. Help choosing default app for files

How to set Microsoft Photos App as default

Hello,

We understand the issue you are facing and will assist you.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Navigate to Start>Settings>System.
    • In the left pane, click on Default Apps.
    • In the right pane, click on Choose default apps by file type.
    • Set the default App to open .jpg files and check for status.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Nov 3, 2019
Thema:

Help choosing default app for files

1. Help choosing default app for files - Similar Threads - Help choosing default

2. Can't find .jar files in "Choose default apps by file type"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't find .jar files in "Choose default apps by file type": When I try to find the .jar extension so I can change its default app, it is literally not there. I've seen screenshots, and I do everything right, yet the .jar extension isn't even there for me....
  3. Can't find .jar files in "Choose default apps by file type"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't find .jar files in "Choose default apps by file type": When I try to find the .jar extension so I can change its default app, it is literally not there. I've seen screenshots, and I do everything right, yet the .jar extension isn't even there for me....
  4. Can't find .jar files in "Choose default apps by file type"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. .pdf will not show up in the list of files at "Apps">"Default Apps">"Choose defaults by...

.pdf will not show up in the list of files at "Apps">"Default Apps">"Choose defaults by...: Hi.When i open any .pdf file from file explorer, the default app to open and view such files is Notepad.I want to change so that the default app is Google Chrome. This should be easy to do, by going to "Apps">"Default Apps">"Choose defaults by file type", scroll down until i...
  6. .pdf will not show up in the list of files at "Apps">"Default Apps">"Choose defaults by...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    .pdf will not show up in the list of files at "Apps">"Default Apps">"Choose defaults by...: Hi.When i open any .pdf file from file explorer, the default app to open and view such files is Notepad.I want to change so that the default app is Google Chrome. This should be easy to do, by going to "Apps">"Default Apps">"Choose defaults by file type", scroll down until i...
  7. unable to choose a default app to open a file type

unable to choose a default app to open a file type: OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Education N OS Version: 10.0.18362 N/A Build 18362 7/‎17/‎2019 Feature update to Windows 10, version 1903 I restored file mapping to default via Default Apps Setting "reset to Microsoft recommended defaults"...
  8. Choose Default apps by File type (.laccdb)

Choose Default apps by File type (.laccdb): I had recently reinstalled Microsoft Windows 10 to try and fix the file associations. For the most part it fixed my issues. However, there is still one file association I have noticed that when trying to choose a default app by file type for (.laccdb) does not provide me the...
  9. Choosing Default Apps

Choosing Default Apps: I have about 20 or so apps on my computer but only 3 or 4 of them are presented as choices when I try to set one as default. The default I want is installed but it doesn't show up in the SET DEFAULT APPS process. VERY FRUSTRATING....
  10. choose default apps by file type

in Windows 10 Customization
    choose default apps by file type: I want .tif and .tiff files to be opened by MODI. MODI is installed on my computer but does not show up as an option https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/choose-default-apps-by-file-type/a23e84d5-6337-4040-84b4-2b7902e0f665