Windows 10: *Help* Computer Restarts only when Idle

Discus and support *Help* Computer Restarts only when Idle in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Specs i7-9700k GTX 1070 MSI Z390 Gaming Plus 16 GB of Ram HDD Toshiba SDD WDC 600w Bronze PSU So weird problem I have been having. My... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Luck Luck Lose, Jul 31, 2020.

1. *Help* Computer Restarts only when Idle

Specs
    i7-9700k

GTX 1070

MSI Z390 Gaming Plus

16 GB of Ram

HDD Toshiba

SDD WDC

600w Bronze PSU

So weird problem I have been having. My computer out of the blue has gone on reboot loops. I naturally thinking this was a windows problem gone awry I had deleted the former updates and tried to update again. I chkdsk the drives and the C: Drive would not complete the check. I decided just to wipe the drives and do a full reinstall of windows 10. After I did that the problems stopped for about a day. Suddenly today the problem happened again. I ran the chkdsk and the hard drives are fine. So I ran a memory diagnostic thinking it could be the RAM and it also came back fine. Just to be 100% sure I also ran a power troubleshooter through the win10 troubleshooter and it also came back fine. If I am playing a game or doing anything the pc will not restart but if its left idling for any long period of time it will restart itself then it might do that two or three times in a row. The event log shows it is a kernel power issue but its a 64 which just means that power was stopped . . . it doesn't tell me whats wrong. Weirdly enough I can force the problem to manifest by telling windows to check for an update and then it will do it 10/10 times. I have never seen a problem like this before.

:)

Luck Luck Lose, Jul 31, 2020
  2. Jonas Flo Win User

Bluetooth still on while idle

Thanks for following the steps. Now, the settings won't take effect if you are only using normal PC idle mode. Normal functionality of Bluetooth and Wi-Fi settings are to stay connected even if PC is idle. With the settings that you have created, we would
    suggest that you set your PC to automatically go to Sleep or
    Hibernate
    once idle. In this way, the settings "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" should take effect.

To set your PC to automatically go to Sleep or Hibernate when idle, please follow these steps:

• Open Control Panel, set view by: Small
      icons.
    • Look for Power Options.
    • Click on Change when the computer sleeps on the left pane.
    • Set a timer.

Please try it out. Hope it helps. If you have any other concerns, don't hesitate to come back to us.

Jonas Flo, Jul 31, 2020
  3. dalchina Win User
    PC restarted by itself when it was idle how can i check why in

Hi, as I said, predicting the relevant event id's for a restart that occurred for unknown reasons is not straightforward. Try searching for 'What is the event id for a restart' for example, and you'll see what I mean.

I can only suggest you inspect the events around the period of interest , looking for a log off, shut down, restart... and if necessary using the link I posted to identify them. Trying to work out why a PC restarted just from the event viewer could be extremely time consuming, depending on the number of events.

If you're lucky and there are few, then it may be feasible to discover something.

First you'd need a list in time order - note that if you simply open the Event Viewer, the reports are categorised,which make tracking something through time impossible. as you know the time period, you could try this:

*Help* Computer Restarts only when Idle [​IMG]

But easier is to get this free program (title top left) which lists events in order:

*Help* Computer Restarts only when Idle [​IMG]

Much easier: look at your update history for that day: does it show an update being applied? If so, what is it? Does that update require a restart?

dalchina, Jul 31, 2020
  4. *Help* Computer Restarts only when Idle

Windows 10 infinite restart black screen

The tutorials provided are just a list of troubleshooting steps. Use only the steps which apply to you.

Since none of the troubleshooting steps here worked, I'd suggest you do a Clean install.

John

AmericanPharaoh, Jul 31, 2020
Thema:

*Help* Computer Restarts only when Idle

1. *Help* Computer Restarts only when Idle - Similar Threads - *Help* Computer Restarts

2. Random Restarts When Idle

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random Restarts When Idle: My computer keeps randomly restarting when left idle for a bit. I have attached my .dmp files. Assistance would be greatly appreciated!https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ZGwHST52tMmk0JeDmp37KhZA1E0kaT57?usp=drive_link...
  3. Random Restarts When Idle

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Random Restarts When Idle: My computer keeps randomly restarting when left idle for a bit. I have attached my .dmp files. Assistance would be greatly appreciated!https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ZGwHST52tMmk0JeDmp37KhZA1E0kaT57?usp=drive_link...
  4. PC bluescreens, but only when idle.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC bluescreens, but only when idle.: My PC has been having issues with freezes and then crashes for seemingly no reason. I have found out this info while troubleshooting: -Disk usage ramps up to 100% before it bluescreens.-Running on full load temporarily stops the crashes from happening.-After the BSOD, it...
  5. PC bluescreens, but only when idle.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC bluescreens, but only when idle.: My PC has been having issues with freezes and then crashes for seemingly no reason. I have found out this info while troubleshooting: -Disk usage ramps up to 100% before it bluescreens.-Running on full load temporarily stops the crashes from happening.-After the BSOD, it...
  6. Computer FULL FREEZING only when left idle.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer FULL FREEZING only when left idle.: Hello, i would appreciate any help this is driving me crazy! I recently updated my bios with a flashdrive containing the update from MSI's website and this completely messed my computer up. First it wouldn't even boot up windows. (I fixed this by changing my boot priority...
  7. Computer restarts when left idle/untouched for 5 minutes

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer restarts when left idle/untouched for 5 minutes: Yesterday, my computer restarted itself when I left it idle to eat dinner. It happened again when I took a shower. Today, it's happened around 4 times. When I try to put my computer to sleep, it does the same thing and restarts itself. My power & sleep settings are set to...
  8. Computer restarting when idling

Computer restarting when idling: I have had a series of problems following recent Windows 10 Updates. Everything seems to have slowed down. The most recent issue is that my PC is restarting whenever I leave it idling for any length of time. Can anyone help?...
  9. Computer randomly restarts when idle at desktop

Computer randomly restarts when idle at desktop: Ever since I upgraded my PC back in October of 2019, occasionally my PC will restart when it's sitting idle. For example, I'll be playing a game, then I'll quit to desktop, walk to the kitchen, hear it restart, walk in and see that it had restarted. Another example is in the...
  10. Computer restarts when idle after upgrade to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer restarts when idle after upgrade to Windows 10: After upgrading to Windows 10, my computer now restarts after I have left it idle for more than about an hour. I havent caught it in the act so I don't know exactly what it does when it restarts. I changed the update settings to notify me before restart so that shouldn't be...