Windows 10: Help - Default folder icon corrupted.

Discus and support Help - Default folder icon corrupted. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Empty folders look fine. The folder icons that show a preview of files inside the folder are messed up. The last change I made was re-enabling... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Sqrly, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Sqrly Win User

Help - Default folder icon corrupted.

Empty folders look fine. The folder icons that show a preview of files inside the folder are messed up.

The last change I made was re-enabling windows Defender (using Winaero Tweaker 17.1). I had temporarily disabled (using Winareo Tweaker) it while moving a large amount of archives to hot plugged external drives.

Help - Default folder icon corrupted. [​IMG]

Help - Default folder icon corrupted. [​IMG]

:)

Sqrly, Sep 26, 2020

2. Changing and locking a custom icon to a folder?

thanks, well i know how to change a folder icon i just want to know a way i can make it stick permanently so i can more it with out the folder converting back to the default icon.

dont worry i found how

Live OR Die, Sep 26, 2020
  3. psyko12 Win User
    Start menu default internet acces icon screwed?

Hey guys I need your help fixing the default access icon on the start menu, as far as google searches suggested default user access and all it only fixes the IE icon, but when I chose fire fox to display it's just a globe when clicked on it still displays IE's properties but doesn't start firefox instead. Help please? *Respect :respect:*Cry :cry:

BTW it was not like this before, I just wanted a clean install for my browser.

Help - Default folder icon corrupted. prob.jpg

psyko12, Sep 26, 2020
  4. jasonm Win User

Corrupt NTUSER.DAT file in Default Folder

After chasing this for a while i have finally gotten it fixed... or at least its working for me in my scenario

The scenario:
    i tried to create users, but when i tried to login, i got an error "The user profile service service failed to load. The profile could not be loaded"
    So the system created the users, however the folder structure and the registry entries were not created.
    This is because the c:\users\default folder was corrupt, and so all new users were not able to be created from a copy of the default folder.

What i tried: updating windows, creating a new account, logging in as administrator to copy the NTUSER.dat, using windows repair tools for ACL's, permissions on folders and others of the like

What i found out along the way:
    • somewhere in the update process win 8.1 to 10, and then the latest versions, the NTUSER got corrupted, and so no users could be added at all, even the hidden administrator would not load because i had never logged in with it.
    • If you extract the install.wim from the ESD using DISM (mentioned later), you Cannot open the extracted WIM with 7Zip, you must mount the wim using DISM

Quick guide on how to get it sorted:
    1. create backups of the c:\users\default folder by renaming it, and appending it with .bak or similar
    2. Using the Windows 10 media creation tool, download and create an ISO of the OS version you are running
    3. Mount the ISO, or open it with 7zip
    4. Extract the ESD inside the ISO - (just extract it with 7zip is the easiest, its located in the ISO under )
    5. Use DISM to extract the install.wim of the version you require (there are many tutorials that cover this, just google DISM extract install.wim)
    6. create a folder to use as an offline mount location for the wim file. (when you mount the WIM in the next step, it wants to create a virtual link between the mount and a folder. I would recommend keeping it simple, like c:\offline or similar
    7. Use DISM to mount the install.wim
      1. dism /mount-wim /? will give you the command line to type
    8. If done properly, you should be able to browse to the folder you created in number 6 and you will have the mounted WIM.
    9. Use Xcopy to copy the default user folder to the c:\users folder
      1. Open raised command line then type
      2. xcopy c:\offline\users\default c:\users\default /E/H/O/Y
    10. unmount the WIM (unless you want to keep it there)
      1. Dism /Unmount-Image /MountDir:C:\offline /discard
    11. Try and login, or create the users again if you want to make sure. Mine worked straight after on both machines i was having the issues.
    12. Run an SFC /Scannow in a raised command prompt to check things over

If anyone wants more of a breakdown, just say and i can split it up more, however all the things are easily searched for in google because everyone is trying them.

jasonm, Sep 26, 2020
Thema:

1. Help - Default folder icon corrupted. - Similar Threads - Help Default folder

2. default folder icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    default folder icon: hello! whenever i make a new folder, my folder default icon doesn't show but it only shows a white paper kind-of icon. i just want to ask how can i put back my default folder icon back? because i've been having a hard time changing it in each folder manually.from, chy....
  3. default folder icon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    default folder icon: hello! whenever i make a new folder, my folder default icon doesn't show but it only shows a white paper kind-of icon. i just want to ask how can i put back my default folder icon back? because i've been having a hard time changing it in each folder manually.from, chy....
  4. Change default folder icon

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change default folder icon: Hello, I wanted to know if it is possible to change the icon of the yellow folder in explorer not only for one as you showed but for all the yellow folders in one action. thank you 169110
  5. Folder icon reverting back to default!?

Folder icon reverting back to default!?: Hello, I have been trying to change my folder icons on my desktop to clear up some space. This is happening for the 3 folders so i will keep it to talking just about the Games folder. files are being acquired from Microsoft store app 'icon8' maybe that's the company...
  6. Change folder icons by default?

Change folder icons by default?: Hello i have a server and i use because i have so many folders i have icons for the folders but when i access them on another pc there are only empty folders and i have to set them again i can save the icons https://www.gutefrage.net/frage/ordner-icons-standardmaessig-aendern
  7. corrupt / default icons on start page

in Windows 10 Support
    corrupt / default icons on start page: i can only see icons if the apps are on an internal drive. apps that are on an external drive i don't see the correct icons. they all look the same and i have to resize them from small to medium so i see the app's title. i'm running the latest Windows 10 build.. v1809...
  8. Is changing the default folder icon dangerous?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is changing the default folder icon dangerous?: Hi all! I am trying to help someone who has difficulty finding things on their HDD by customising the default folder icons. Right click on folder> Customise and then I change the default icon for folders (generic yellow one) with custom icons of my own. It works really...
  9. Is changing a the default folder icon dangerous?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is changing a the default folder icon dangerous?: Hi all! I am trying to help someone who has difficulty finding things on their HDD by customising the default folder icons. Right click on folder> Customise and then I change the default icon for folders (generic yellow one) with custom icons of my own. It works really...
  10. Corrupt NTUSER.DAT file in Default Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Corrupt NTUSER.DAT file in Default Folder: After reading the 7Forums link I cannot find a similar instruction set w/in Win 10; yet I know that this forum is far better than the 'like' Microsoft forum since people responding on the MS Forum seem incapable of actually answering the question and provide real-life...