Windows 10: Help! Deleted D: drive and now I can't extend volume to C: ???

Discus and support Help! Deleted D: drive and now I can't extend volume to C: ??? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I don't even know where to start. My C: drive was reaching the red zone on space, so found and started following a help video on how to move the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Usakobrii, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Usakobrii Win User

Help! Deleted D: drive and now I can't extend volume to C: ???

I don't even know where to start. My C: drive was reaching the red zone on space, so found and started following a help video on how to move the majority of my computers storage space from D: to C:

In the video, he says to delete D: disk, and to then extend the volume of C:

But after I deleted D: disk, the only option I have is to shrink Volume. Extend volume is grayed out. Obviously in the video the guy didn't have this problem. He basically just extends volume and says: "You did it!"

I tried system restore to go back to a couple weeks ago to make it go back to normal, and when that didn't work I re-set windows 10 in hopes that it would magically come back, and still nothing. I can see the unallocated space, but how can I move it to C: ?

Sorry.. I've been away from the computer scene for years so I feel vaguely lost and easily confused.

I feel completely defeated, is there any hope to restoring my lost space?
    Thanks in advance.

:)

Usakobrii, Apr 5, 2020

2. how to merge c drive and d drive

It depends on a couple things.

If you have two separate physical C and D drives, you can't merge them.

If the D drive is a partition (not a drive) and its to the right of C:\ in Disk Management, you can right click C:\ then click Extend.

Press Windows key + X

Click Disk Management

Take a screenshot then post in a reply here.

If the layout is similar to how I described it, try the following. Make sure important data is backed up if there is any.

Select the D:\ partition

Right click the ‘D:\’ in Disk Management, on the contextual menu, click the ‘Delete Volume’ option. Click ‘Yes’ when the warning dialog appears.

The Volume you deleted will now appear as ‘Free space’, you will also notice that the disk icon no longer appears in the list of volumes.

Right click the Free space partition, and click Delete, click Yes on the Disk Management warning that appears.

The volume will now appear as Unallocated. Our next step is to merge back that unallocated free space with the system partition (C:\). Right click the System volume and click the ‘Extend Volume’ option on the contextual menu, click ‘Yes’ when the warning appears.

A wizard will now begin that will guide through the steps to merge back the unallocated space with your system partition.

The wizard provides a simple procedure to merge back the unallocated space with the system drive. Once you have selected the space, click Next, at the end of the wizard, you will see the amount allocated.

Andre for Directly, Apr 5, 2020
  3. OS (CHelp! Deleted D: drive and now I can't extend volume to C: ??? :) Drive - Extending the Volume

I've recently purchased a new laptop and came across a problem regarding the storage volume. It seems there's an arbitrary partition where C: drive has 100GB allocated and the remaining 900GB+ is unallocated. When I tried to extend the volume of C: to include
    the 900GB, the option to extend the volume was grayed out and unusable.

Unfortunately, I just don't know enough to figure out why all that space is unallocated and why I can't extend the volume of the C: drive. Searching for the answer yielded a lot of suggestions for third-party software, but I'd like to avoid that solution
    if possible. Are there any other options?

Raseleanne, Apr 5, 2020
  4. -xKevin- Win User

How to extend C partition

the delete volume is grayed out

-xKevin-, Apr 5, 2020
Thema:

1. Help! Deleted D: drive and now I can't extend volume to C: ??? - Similar Threads - Help Deleted drive

2. I can't extend the volume for c partition ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't extend the volume for c partition ?: I can't make extend for partition C by clicking right and the extend volume is hidden. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-extend-the-volume-for-c-partition/df31e888-1daf-45fe-a189-d6062b047d92
  3. How can i extend my C drive volume to D

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can i extend my C drive volume to D: I am using Windows 10 and my C drive is almost full how can I extend the space to D so that I can install other apps to in my C drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-extend-my-c-drive-volume-to-d/60806b96-dcc3-42e7-b0fa-c091cac59d7f
  4. How can i extend my C drive volume to D

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can i extend my C drive volume to D: I am using Windows 10 and my C drive is almost full how can I extend the space to D so that I can install other apps to in my C drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-extend-my-c-drive-volume-to-d/60806b96-dcc3-42e7-b0fa-c091cac59d7f
  5. How can i extend my C drive volume to D

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Extend Volume C Drive

Extend Volume C Drive: Hi i was able to shrink my D Drive storage volume. but, when I want to extend my C Drive, it is GREYED out. I can't select it. Anyone can help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/extend-volume-c-drive/58720e3a-eb98-462e-8e6c-a559bb97fdc8
  7. Can't Extend C: Drive Volume

Can't Extend C: Drive Volume: I just replaced my hard drive with a 2TB Seagate and need to expand the storage volume to take advantage of newly available space. The drive is formatted as NTFS and I signed on as Administrator, but the Extend Volume option is grayed out. Q: How can I expand the C: drive...
  8. I deleted D drive in order to extend c drive but c drive will not extend

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I deleted D drive in order to extend c drive but c drive will not extend: So I have 237gb of storage on my C drive and it is nearly full, my D drive has 931gb of storage and is completely empty. in an attempt to solve this problem I went online looking at different forums and articles and many recommended that I delete D drive so i can extend C...
  9. extending the volume of C drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    extending the volume of C drive: Inspite following the instruction of extending drives, i still find to have trouble doing the same. i want to extend the volume of c drive which is consuming 106.09 gb and i find difficult to install updates for windows..please help me resolve thi issue. with regards SID...
  10. Extend C: drive volume

Extend C: drive volume: Hi, I need some help trying to extend my C: drive volume. I removed the volume that had my Ubuntu because I don't need it anymore and I want Windows to have 1TB, not 500GB. This is what Disk Management looks like for me: [ATTACH]When I try to extend the C: volume, the option...