Windows 10: Help determing why PC won't enter sleep mode

Discus and support Help determing why PC won't enter sleep mode in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a webcam that is apparently preventing my computer from sleeping. I have the following listed when I run powercfg /requests:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Citizen Snips, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Help determing why PC won't enter sleep mode

I have a webcam that is apparently preventing my computer from sleeping.

I have the following listed when I run powercfg /requests:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg /requests
    DISPLAY:
    None.

SYSTEM:
    [DRIVER] HD Webcam C615 (USB\VID_046D&PID_082C&MI_00\7&3772e1ad&0&0000)
    An audio stream is currently in use.
    [DRIVER] Legacy Kernel Caller

AWAYMODE:
    None.

EXECUTION:
    None.

PERFBOOST:
    None.

ACTIVELOCKSCREEN:
    None.

I then added a request override to prevent the webcam from blocking sleep:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg /requestsoverride DRIVER "HD Webcam C615 (USB\VID_046D&PID_082C&MI_00\7&3772e1ad&0&0000)" SYSTEM

I then verified the override was present by running the following:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg /requestsoverride
    [SERVICE]

[PROCESS]

[DRIVER]
    HD Webcam C615 (USB\VID_046D&PID_082C&MI_00\7&3772e1ad&0&0000) SYSTEM

The override appears to exist, yet every time I wake up in the morning my computer is fully on, i.e. all GPU and motherboard lights are on, and touching the mouse or keyboard immediately wakes up the monitor and brings me to the desktop with everything exactly as I left it. Prior to plugging in the webcam, I would wake up in the morning to find all of my computer's lights off, and touching the mouse or keyboard would make the computer go through the boot up process again, but would then restore my desktop as I had left it before.

I then ran the following to look at the diagnostics:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg /systemsleepdiagnostics
    System Sleep Timeline report saved to file path C:\WINDOWS\system32\system-sleep-diagnostics.html.

I cannot quite figure out how to interpret the results. Here is a screen capture from last night (technically early this morning):

Help determing why PC won't enter sleep mode gVTG4jA.jpg

The "TIME USER WENT IDLE", 01:56:22, is correct based on when I left my computer to go to bed. The "IDLE DURATION" implies that something woke my computer up at around 5:45 AM. I live alone and know that no one touched the computer at this time, and from looking at the report the "Power Requests" from "HD Webcam C615" are highlighted in red, along with the /Dev below it. Does that mean the webcam woke my PC up? Did my PC even go to sleep to begin with? The "System Idle Events" at the bottom of the screenshot shows a lot of events with the description "The system idle time was reset because: The system detected user input.", all of which correspond to times I was actually at my computer.

The next session in the diagnostics file is as follows:

Help determing why PC won't enter sleep mode EkwFRTf.jpg

It appears the computer went idle again after being woken up at the end of the previous session, but was then woken up at around 7:30 AM. Again, no one physically touched the computer at this time. When looking at "Power Requests", I again see "HD Webcam C615" and "\Dev" listed in red, and a VS background service listed in yellow. What is the difference between a red entry and a yellow entry?

Also the "System Idle Events" says "The system idle time was reset because: The system detected user input." at 05:45:26, but again I live alone and was not awake at that time.

Can anyone help me interpret these results and figure out how to make Windows ignore the webcam for purposes of putting the PC to sleep, other than manually unplugging and replugging it every time?

Windows version: 1909 (OS Build 18363.900)

:)

Citizen Snips, Jun 28, 2020

2. Urgent help with PC that wont stay in sleep mode!

I really need some help. I have a custom built PC. Ever since then I haven't been able to go into sleep mode. As soon as I click Sleep the system powers down for few seconds then powers straight back on to show me login screen. For better insight on the issue I would suggest looking at >this<. The link directs you to Microsoft Community website, and what you will see is my thread asking for help. Knowing Microsoft Community I feel as if they just give basic steps then thinking out of the box so that's why i'm here.

What I've tried so far is doing a reset with Windows 10 Pro to wipe everything but keeps files on SSD which is my primary. I disconnected my HDD which is for gaming and music so that it wont get touched. As I'm typing this the issue hasn't been fixed. The only thing that I did was some updates for OS, and that's it! I'm completely puzzled by what is happening.

Please help! Thanks in advance.

AstroCoookie023, Jun 28, 2020
  3. Sleep mode

Hi,

This issue with sleep mode could have happened due to corrupted or outdated drivers. To resolve your issue, we suggest that you update your drivers. You can follow the steps provided in this

article

If the issue still persists, we also suggest that you change the settings in your Windows 10. You can follow the steps provided in this

article
    . This will give you steps to shut down, sleep, or hibernate your PC.

Update us with the result so we can further assist you.

Anthony Gal, Jun 28, 2020
  4. Wingo101 Win User

Help determing why PC won't enter sleep mode

Is it safe to put your pc in sleep mode?

My pc goes to sleep after about 1 hour of idle time. Is it safe to put the pc in sleep mode?

Won't it decrease the lifetime of the gpu, cpu, etc. If they are turned off and on straight-away?

Wingo101, Jun 28, 2020
Thema:

Help determing why PC won't enter sleep mode

1. Help determing why PC won't enter sleep mode - Similar Threads - Help determing why

2. New PC Won't Enter Sleep Mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New PC Won't Enter Sleep Mode: I bought a new PC running Windows 11 Pro. It will not enter sleep mode when I click Sleep from the start menu. The screen turns off, but the fans and RGB lights on my PC stay on and running. Any slight movement of the mouse instantly turns to screen on with no hesitation. I...
  3. New PC Won't Enter Sleep Mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New PC Won't Enter Sleep Mode: I bought a new PC running Windows 11 Pro. It will not enter sleep mode when I click Sleep from the start menu. The screen turns off, but the fans and RGB lights on my PC stay on and running. Any slight movement of the mouse instantly turns to screen on with no hesitation. I...
  4. Windows 11 Desktop Won't Enter Sleep Mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Desktop Won't Enter Sleep Mode: I upgraded to Windows 11 last fall November and for the most part everything has been working ok. Within the last month, I've had an issue where my desktop will not enter sleep mode. If I select sleep, my keyboard and mouse will shut off but my desktop will idle with the fan...
  5. Windows 11 Desktop Won't Enter Sleep Mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Desktop Won't Enter Sleep Mode: I upgraded to Windows 11 last fall November and for the most part everything has been working ok. Within the last month, I've had an issue where my desktop will not enter sleep mode. If I select sleep, my keyboard and mouse will shut off but my desktop will idle with the fan...
  6. PC Won't go into sleep mode. NEED HELP

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PC Won't go into sleep mode. NEED HELP: Hello, So I'm having a problem with my pc not going into sleep mode. I have run the troubleshooters for Microsoft in the power saving tab and it says it fixes it but nothing changes. In the end, my pc stays on and running and it is very bright and literally won't let me go...
  7. PC won't enter sleep automatically

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC won't enter sleep automatically: I'm running Windows 10 PRO version 2004. I set my power plan so that the PC should go into sleep mode after a certain amount of time, but won't do so automatically. I can manually put the PC to sleep and it stays asleep until I wake it up. I tried putting a clean install...
  8. PC won't enter sleep mode on its own:

in Windows 10 Support
    PC won't enter sleep mode on its own:: Hi. As of a few days ago my HP desktop running Windows 10 2004 stopped entering sleep mode. The computer is only about 3 years old or so. I have never encountered this problem before. I can put it to sleep manually and it will stay asleep until I wake it or a scheduled scan...
  9. Help determining why PC won't enter sleep mode

Help determining why PC won't enter sleep mode: I have a webcam that is apparently preventing my computer from sleeping. I have the following listed when I run powercfg /requests: C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg /requests DISPLAY: None. SYSTEM: [DRIVER] HD Webcam C615 (USB\VID_046D&PID_082C&MI_00\7&3772e1ad&0&0000) An audio...
  10. PC not entering sleep mode.

PC not entering sleep mode.: I have the settings set to automatically sleep after 30 minutes, but it isn't going to sleep. Changing this to an earlier time does nothing. Powercfg /requests returns nothing. It is possible that the recent 2004 windows 10 update could be a cause, but I can't say for...