Windows 10: [HELP] Disabling Autoplay functionality to avoid malware?

Discus and support [HELP] Disabling Autoplay functionality to avoid malware? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have a USB drive that is potentially infected with virus/malware, since I inserted it in a computer at my university library. I now wish to use it in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Vanaj Vidyan, Aug 15, 2022.

1. [HELP] Disabling Autoplay functionality to avoid malware?

I have a USB drive that is potentially infected with virus/malware, since I inserted it in a computer at my university library. I now wish to use it in my laptop, but under no circumstances want my it to be infected. If I disable the Autorun/Autoplay functionality and then scan the USB using Windows Security, is there any probability of the virus still infecting my laptop? Or is there any other way I can run the scan without the USB infecting my laptop? For reference, my laptop is running the latest Windows 11. Thanks!

:)

Vanaj Vidyan, Aug 15, 2022
  2. Junaid_A Win User

Disable AutoPlay when audio devices connected

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To have a clarity on the issue and guide you accordingly, kindly help us with the following information:

• Which build of Windows 10 is installed on the machine?

(Search winver from the Start menu to know the same)

The issue could be because of the AutoPlay option being enabled on the device. I suggest you to disable
    AutoPlay for all media and devices and see if the issue persists.

• Open Settings and click on Devices.
    • On the left pane, choose AutoPlay.
    • Toggle off Use AutoPlay for all media and devices,
      and exit Settings.
    • Reconnect the speaker to see if the media files continue to play.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Aug 15, 2022
  3. dalchina Win User
    Disabling Autoplay/Autorun

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/enable...toplay-windows

If as suggested here, the end result is exactly the same registry change, there is no difference.

You can test that for yourself using a free utility called regshot. This takes a snapshot of the registry; you then make the change; take a second snapshot, then compare them.

All changes made between the two are listed.

dalchina, Aug 15, 2022
  4. Tenforo Active Member

[HELP] Disabling Autoplay functionality to avoid malware?

Program doesn't exist for Autoplay

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to set the Autoplay settings and check if it helps.

Follow the steps below.

• Press Windows key +X, select Control Panel.
    • Go to Control Panel and locate AutoPlay.
    • In AutoPlay settings make sure that you check Use AutoPlay for all media and devices.
    • Next click the Reset all defaults button. Your Autoplay settings should be reset to default.

[HELP] Disabling Autoplay functionality to avoid malware? autoplay-problems-windows-10.png

• Insert USB or DVD to see if Autoplay is working.

You can also try downloading Windows Media Player 10

https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=20426

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Tenforo, Aug 15, 2022
Thema:

[HELP] Disabling Autoplay functionality to avoid malware?

1. [HELP] Disabling Autoplay functionality to avoid malware? - Similar Threads - HELP Disabling Autoplay

2. Autoplay not autoplaying

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Autoplay not autoplaying: Recently, my radio station stopped autoplaying. I searched and found How to Enable or Disable Media Autoplay in Microsoft Edge in Windows - Microsoft Community to remember where the setting resides. I checked and the url is still in the Allow section. Why won't it autoplay?...
  3. Autoplay not autoplaying

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Autoplay not autoplaying: Recently, my radio station stopped autoplaying. I searched and found How to Enable or Disable Media Autoplay in Microsoft Edge in Windows - Microsoft Community to remember where the setting resides. I checked and the url is still in the Allow section. Why won't it autoplay?...
  4. [HELP] Disabling Autoplay functionality to avoid malware?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    [HELP] Disabling Autoplay functionality to avoid malware?: I have a USB drive that is potentially infected with virus/malware, since I inserted it in a computer at my university library. I now wish to use it in my laptop, but under no circumstances want my it to be infected. If I disable the Autorun/Autoplay functionality and then...
  5. How to disable the F1 Help key in Windows 10 to avoid accidental Help

in Windows 10 News
    How to disable the F1 Help key in Windows 10 to avoid accidental Help: [ATTACH]The Function Keys (F1 to F12) on the Windows keyboard have specifically assigned roles. […] This article How to disable the F1 Help key in Windows 10 to avoid accidental Help first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  6. can't get autoplay to function properly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    can't get autoplay to function properly: purchased a lenovo330 laptop 4 days ago windows 10 v18...; can't get autoplay to function properly. after inserting disc in cd rom, have to use the d:/ command to get the disc to play. have itunes selected as the default app for music....
  7. Autoplay Disc Help

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Autoplay Disc Help: I recently got a game for my computer on a disc (I'm guessing it was a DVD-ROM), and when I dug through the files, I happen to notice a file called "autorun" on the disc. I did some research and discovered that it is used to load the game automatically. That got me thinking;...
  8. Disabling Autoplay/Autorun

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Disabling Autoplay/Autorun: I am doing myself a system security audit and I would like to clear some confusion on the differences between the Autoplay settings in the Windows 10 Control Panel and the settings that are on the Group Policy Editor. If I Disable Autoplay within the actual Windows 10...
  9. AutoPlay non-functional in Win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    AutoPlay non-functional in Win 10 Pro: Windows 10 PRO. AutoPlay isn't working in Windows 10. The SETTINGS|DEVICES menu has it turned ON. In Control Panel, it's turned on and configured to PLAY a CD. It's not disabled in the Group Policy editor. Neither of the two optical drives (a CD and DVD) will auto play...
  10. Locky malware, lucky to avoid it

in Windows 10 News
    Locky malware, lucky to avoid it: You may have seen reports of the Locky malware circulating the web; we think this is a good time to discuss its distribution methods, and reiterate some best-practice methods that will help prevent infection. We’ve seen Locky being distributed by spam email, not in itself...