Windows 10: Help! External device Not working, shows up as local disk, freezes PC

Discus and support Help! External device Not working, shows up as local disk, freezes PC in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have an external drive with lots of important files. Suddenly it just stops working. When plugged in it shows up as a local disk without the capacity... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by gideeip123, May 24, 2020.

1. Help! External device Not working, shows up as local disk, freezes PC

I have an external drive with lots of important files. Suddenly it just stops working. When plugged in it shows up as a local disk without the capacity bar. RIGHT CLICKING does NOT work, and as soon as i do that windows explorer freezes. Disk management does not work shows loading indefinitely until i unplug the disk. As soon as i unplug disk, everything is normal. Chkdsk also shows absolutely nothing, as if disk isnt even there.

and yes, i have tried plugging into other PCs and same thing happens. The exact same problem here: https://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/371491-external-hdd-showing-local-disk.html , except this one got randomly fixed by luck. I guess i may have to contact geek squad, but thats expensive.

please help me! Thanks

:)

gideeip123, May 24, 2020

2. external hard drive shows as local disk instead of label under My PC, shows up under Device Manager, freezes Disk Mangement

Hi.

These steps might help you.

Step 1: Right click on Start menu and open Command Prompt (Admin.)

Step 2: When it asks you to allow the app to make changes to your PC, click on Yes.

Step 3: When command prompt opens, give the command as "chkdsk (DRIVER LETTER) (like C, D, E, etc.) DRIVER LETTER:/f

Here f is for FIX.

Once this is done, the Hard Disk must work perfectly fine then....

I hope that this helps.

The solution is from this link: External Hard Drive showing up as Local Disk (J:)

-Hannah Smith

purplecolorz, May 24, 2020
  3. external hard drive shows as local disk instead of label under My PC, shows up under Device Manager, freezes Disk Mangement

>>First off, HELP?!

>>I have OS build 10586.753 after backing up a build, the version being 1511 currently. The latest update on windows 10 made my external hard drive, a 4tb Seagate desktop plus desktop drive, show up as 'local disk' when I go to 'my pc', instead of the personalized
    label of '4TbHd'. It does show under device manager, but makes disk management freeze up when the external is plugged in. I have tried going to device manager to uninstall everything concerning the external, I've tried downgrading the version to the ones
    listed now. I'm looking for all the help I can get, because though the external is 1/3 full, I've got countless items on it that I can not lose because of a stupid windows update. If I have to, I'd be willing to do a clean install on the pc, just to fix
    this, and as you can tell, I'm getting highly frustrated.

>>The external worked perfectly before this latest update, minus 'chkdsk F:\f' taking forever and pausing then disconnecting the external from the pc, making me have to physically unplug then replug it in. Regular didn't pause, but didn't seem to correct
    everything. Also, the external was purchased in 2014 from amazon. If I have to, I'd prefer to get everything off of the drive, reformat the drive, then save everything back on it again. I've heard it's easy to fix this problem, but so far, I haven't found
    the solution.

>>Thank you for listening to this rant, as it were, and I appreciate all the help I can get.

>>I have: Windows 10 home edition, 64-bit, HP, 1tb internal with 6GB ram, 4tb external.

darkpantherian, May 24, 2020
  4. seejp Win User

Help! External device Not working, shows up as local disk, freezes PC

external hard drive showing up in device management but not disk management

Hi,

I recently tried to use a brand new Seagate 2TB External HD, but it is not showing up. It initially showed up, but after I tried reformatting it to exFAT32, it disappeared from the disk management list.

I then tried:

• refreshing the disk management list,
    • inserting into a different USB port,
    • re-starting my computer, and
    • uninstalling the device from device manager/letting it refresh,

I still can't see it. There is no yellow error in the USB controller list.

I'm on Windows 10.

Intel i5-3317U @ 1.7GHz

Any suggestions? Thanks!

seejp, May 24, 2020
Thema:

Help! External device Not working, shows up as local disk, freezes PC

1. Help! External device Not working, shows up as local disk, freezes PC - Similar Threads - Help External device

2. External Hard disk not Showing up in disk management and diskpart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard disk not Showing up in disk management and diskpart: Hi, recently I wanted to format my fat32 external hard disk to NTFS. I copied the files and in between the copy was stopped and my laptop was hanged, when I unplugged the external hard disk the hang issue was sorted. When I again inserted my hard disk, it hung again, somehow,...
  3. External HDD showing up as Local Disk H: and Not Responding

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External HDD showing up as Local Disk H: and Not Responding: Greetings, I'm in desperate need of help. I have been using a Lenovo UHD F309 2TB HDD since 1 year , it seemed to work fine until today , when I connect it to the Laptop it shows up as Local Disk H: and the Storage bar is not shown , As shown in the picture. I tried right...
  4. External disk to local disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External disk to local disk: Hi! I have a laptop with only 118 gb of storage and a external disk with 300 gb of storage. Can I easily switch them so that my external drive becomes a local disk?...
  5. local disk is not showing up

local disk is not showing up: in my laptop windows 10 the local disk is not showing up there is only windows ssd :c and mcafee vaults but not local disk . i want to locate my local disk file so that i can agree to terms and policy of total pc cleaner app...
  6. External HDD not showing up in disk management

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External HDD not showing up in disk management: My 1TB external Seagate HDD is being detected in device manger, but I cannot see it on disk management. When I connect it, it beeps 5 times, no matter which port I use submitted by /u/vininhosts [link] [comments]...
  7. External Hard disk not showing up

External Hard disk not showing up: I've 4tb seagate backup plus hard disk which has 2 partitions out of which one partition with 2tb is bitlocker protected. I've initiated removal of encryption of that 2 tb hard disk but it stuck at 46% and after that disk is ejected automatically. Now I'm not able to see...
  8. seagate external hard disk not showing up

seagate external hard disk not showing up: Hi, Device manager indicates Unknown USB Device device descriptor request failed, Under Mass Storage - Properties - Error Code 45 Other HD and SDs are working good. Can someone help...............................
  9. External HDD showing up as Local Disk (F:) and Not Responding

External HDD showing up as Local Disk (F:) and Not Responding: Greetings, I'm in desperate need of help. I bought an WD My Passport HDD about 4 months ago , it seemed to work fine until today , When I connect it to the Laptop it shows up as Local Disk (F:) and the Storage bar is not shown , As shown in the picture. I tried right...
  10. External hard drive is showing up as local disk drive

External hard drive is showing up as local disk drive: For some reason it changed from USB Drive to Local Disk. Now i cant use a Label Name (like MyDrive). I try to change the drive Letter and still nothing happen. When i plug the USB Driver to an other computer i see it again as a local driver. If i go to Properties -> Label...