Windows 10: Help! File Explorer and "This PC" are not working at all

Discus and support Help! File Explorer and "This PC" are not working at all in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey Brink.. You are so kind to try and help. I did switch to Icons view (duh) and accessed file explorer and made sure This PC was selected. That... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by LyndaB, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Winuser Win User

Help! File Explorer and "This PC" are not working at all

I don't know if this is what your talking about or not. Right click on the desktop. Choose Display Settings and move the slider to the setting you want.

Winuser, Jan 16, 2016
  2. LyndaB Win User

I started in Safe Mode. All my drives are sitting there, as well as File Explorer. I restarted the computer and still the start menu nor any of the shortcuts to This PC or File Explorer are working. I'm at a loss as to what went wrong. Thanks

LyndaB, Jan 16, 2016
  3. LyndaB Win User
    Tried that.. resizing didn't really help either. All I get is a desktop reset when I click on either This PC or File Explorer.. Grrr!! Thanks!

LyndaB, Jan 16, 2016
  4. maarkr Win User

can u right click the windows icon and select file explorer?

maarkr, Jan 17, 2016
  5. LyndaB Win User
    Thanks maarkr.. Tried that. I got the usual desktop reset. Something about the shortcuts to File Explorer and This PC is messed up. I sure wish there were system restore points. Everything else is working fine in the start menu. I keep trying to think why are these two items not working when everything else is? Having access to my drives is critical. I use a couple of photography programs and if my SD card is in the reader (as another drive), I can access them from within Photoshop CC and also Phase One/Capture One.But if I remove the card from the reader.. they are gone.. Poof! I have close to 400 images I need to get onto my PC and off my card. This is crazy.

LyndaB, Jan 17, 2016
  6. Edwin New Member
    Are you able to create a new shortcut on the desktop using %windir%\explorer.exe as the location?

Edwin, Jan 17, 2016
  7. LyndaB Win User
    Fixed!! I found the system restore points and went back to Jan 13th. Everything was working but Google Chrome. Weird. Downloaded a new 64 bit Chrome and all is well..
    Thanks to everyone on this forum.. Whew! I just hope it stays that way. Not shutting down for a while.. I think it may have been an update last night that caused it but I'm not positive.*Smile

LyndaB, Jan 17, 2016
  8. OldMike65 Win User

That is GREAT NEWS LyndaB !!!! *Party Now would be a good time to make a complete image backup of your OS, and store it on a 2nd drive. Just for added insurance. *Smile
    Mike...

OldMike65, Jan 17, 2016
  9. LyndaB Win User
    Thanks OldMike 65. I did that. No worries.. Still not sure what happened that caused me to waste an entire day and rip my hair out..lol I'm getting too old for all this drama.*Rolleyes This forum is great. Wonderful people willing to help. Thank you all..

LyndaB, Jan 17, 2016
  10. OldMike65 Win User
    Very glad you got everything fixed LyndaB, also happy to hear you made your image backup toooo!!! Welcome LyndaB to Windows 10 Forum too. *Biggrin Mike.

OldMike65, Jan 17, 2016
  11. Winuser Win User
    I'm very glad to hear you solved your problem. Making a image backup of the working system was a good idea. *Smile

Winuser, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Help! File Explorer and "This PC" are not working at all - Similar Threads - Help File Explorer

2. help with file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    help with file explorer: file explorer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/help-with-file-explorer/b588f261-a6eb-448c-9407-98ea723afcff
  3. help with file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    help with file explorer: file explorer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/help-with-file-explorer/b588f261-a6eb-448c-9407-98ea723afcff
  4. File Explorer Not Working (Send Help)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File Explorer Not Working (Send Help): Hello gamers, I come to you in a time of great need. My Windows 10 device is currently on strike and I need aid in resolving this issue. This issue occurs within the mighty File Explorer. Whenever said File Explorer is booted up everything seems to be normal, but as any good...
  5. File explorer help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer help: [ATTACH] HI i was wondering why my file explorer looks like this and not the default, Thanks https://preview.redd.it/x0w9tfrsil261.png?width=1920&format=png&auto=webp&s=909768854ceff1c6d962020a7bca9e121e775743 submitted by /u/cborges662 [link] [comments]...
  6. all to do with working in w10p file explorer ...

in Windows 10 Support
    all to do with working in w10p file explorer ...: whenever i want to do any work in file explorer, say with a page containing .mp3 files (excluding any programme that happens to be showing in file explorer) and want to save something, i've never been able to save any of my file explorer work. for example, when i'm wortking...
  7. File Explorer is working slow now or not at all

File Explorer is working slow now or not at all: I don't know what is going on with Windows 10 but now when I open file explorer it only shows Quick Access tab and Desktop tab on the left and nothing else. THen it has a green progress bar going across that takes about 2 minutes to show other drives and folder. And if I...
  8. "This PC" in File explorer not working

"This PC" in File explorer not working: In File Explorer, when I select "This PC", the little blue circle goes around, and around, and around, not ending, even after an hour or so, and does not give the list. Program indicates "Not Responding". How do I correct this?...
  9. File Explorer's Play all command stopped working

File Explorer's Play all command stopped working: File Explorer's Play all command stopped working with folders that contain flac files. Returns error message "Unable to find a playable file". Double-clicking in a file in the same folder successfully plays the file....
  10. File Explorer Help?

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Help?: I can't find any setting or info on the internet as to why one of my drives is not showing on the left hand side of the File Explorer window.... Things to note: the drive in question is a software raid, syncing is done Anyone have any ideas? 40680