Windows 10: Help! File Explorer and "This PC" are not working at all

Discus and support Help! File Explorer and "This PC" are not working at all in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm unable to use either File Explorer and This PC. I need to access my drives and can't get to them. I did sfc/scannow and it says unable to use it. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by LyndaB, Jan 16, 2016.

1. LyndaB Win User

Help! File Explorer and "This PC" are not working at all

I'm unable to use either File Explorer and This PC. I need to access my drives and can't get to them. I did sfc/scannow and it says unable to use it. I opened up Task Manager - New File-as Admin and tried to run sfc/ scannow. Says it can't find a path. I'm stuck! The pinned start menu got all re-arranged (not by me) and now those 2 components are not working. I get a black screen and then the desktop when I try either one. I shut down and re-started my PC a bunch of times. Still nothing. Ran troubleshooter. Still can't access This PC or File Explorer. I have hundreds of photos that I can't download because I can't get to my drives. Nothing on the web to help either. I don't want to go back to Win 7. I love 10.. Until now. Any ideas? Or am I screwed? Thanks

:)

LyndaB, Jan 16, 2016

2. Please help me... " Nokia n97 "

Every single number.. No i've tested in on my mothers phone and her ID isn't set on private but still doesn't show. When i miss the call it automatically sends me a message saying who called, well if there number isn't on private.

hamburglar1, Jan 16, 2016
  3. Please help me... " Nokia n97 "

I've had this problem since ever... Whenever i recieve a call it doesn't show the caller. All it says is " Call ". Please someone help me get rid of this ! My settings are set as " Say caller's name; - On "

hamburglar1, Jan 16, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Lynda, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Did you by chance remove "Quick access" from the navigation pane in File Explorer?

If so, this could happen if you didn't set File Explorer to open to "This PC" instead of "Quick access". The tutorial below can help show you how to set this to fix this if this was the case.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...ck-access.html

Brink, Jan 16, 2016
  5. LyndaB Win User
    i can't open File Explorer at all, so I can't do this. Thanks for trying to help!

LyndaB, Jan 16, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jan 16, 2016
  7. LyndaB Win User
    I have to be able to access File Explorer to get to Options. Not there in the Control Panel. I tried the solutions in the link above. They all say open the file explorer panel. I can't open it. It isn't there.. ugh Thanks for trying..

LyndaB, Jan 16, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jan 16, 2016
  9. OldMike65 Win User
    Ok, did you also try pressing your Windows Key and your E key at same time?? That also opens file explorer. Just an idea....

OldMike65, Jan 16, 2016
  10. LyndaB Win User
    Hey Brink.. You are so kind to try and help. I did switch to Icons view (duh) and accessed file explorer and made sure This PC was selected. That didn't work, so I switched it to Quick Access (so I put it back). That didn't work either. As of now, I have no way to get to my drives. It's looking more and more like I will have to uninstall Win. 10 and go back to Win 7. Been researching all afternoon and have tried every option. The only thing I can't do, is switch my text views. I remember changing it to like 150% or 175%. There was a post somewhere that said try changing it back and now I can't remember how I did it. Tried looking that up and still can't find it. I know it's in there somewhere.. Thanks!

LyndaB, Jan 16, 2016
  11. OldMike65 Win User
    Actually you don't have to go back to Windows 7 ......worse comes to worse, you can RESET your computer and that should repair your Windows 10. Reset Windows 10

OldMike65, Jan 16, 2016
  12. LyndaB Win User
    Thanks.. I think worse has come to worse.. I was actually just reading that very same reset info. It looks like a pain in the patootey but not much else I can do. I just totally don't understand what happened. It's been working great until this morning. Been months since I upgraded. Still searching my PC for the percentage view text . Somehow I think that might be the problem. It's the only change I made and some people said by changing it worked. I'll keep searching.. Thanks!

LyndaB, Jan 16, 2016
  13. Winuser Win User

Winuser, Jan 16, 2016
  14. topgundcp Win User
    How about trying to boot Windows in Safe Mode to see if you can open File Explorer.:
    • Win + R -> msconfig
    • Click on Boot tab and put a check mark on Safe Boot then restart your PC

topgundcp, Jan 16, 2016
  15. OldMike65 Win User
    Ok Lynda, but just remember we have lots of VERY good folks on here that can help you solve this problem!!! Just have some patience and I'm sure we can help you solve your problem.
    And after you do get this problem fixed Lynda, PLEASE make an image backup of your C-drive, using a free program like Macrium Reflect, so if you have another problem like this one, you will be able to restore your computer, to when it was running good. *Smile
    Mike..

OldMike65, Jan 16, 2016
Thema:

1. Help! File Explorer and "This PC" are not working at all - Similar Threads - Help File Explorer

2. help with file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    help with file explorer: file explorer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/help-with-file-explorer/b588f261-a6eb-448c-9407-98ea723afcff
  3. help with file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    help with file explorer: file explorer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/help-with-file-explorer/b588f261-a6eb-448c-9407-98ea723afcff
  4. File Explorer Not Working (Send Help)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File Explorer Not Working (Send Help): Hello gamers, I come to you in a time of great need. My Windows 10 device is currently on strike and I need aid in resolving this issue. This issue occurs within the mighty File Explorer. Whenever said File Explorer is booted up everything seems to be normal, but as any good...
  5. File explorer help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer help: [ATTACH] HI i was wondering why my file explorer looks like this and not the default, Thanks https://preview.redd.it/x0w9tfrsil261.png?width=1920&format=png&auto=webp&s=909768854ceff1c6d962020a7bca9e121e775743 submitted by /u/cborges662 [link] [comments]...
  6. all to do with working in w10p file explorer ...

in Windows 10 Support
    all to do with working in w10p file explorer ...: whenever i want to do any work in file explorer, say with a page containing .mp3 files (excluding any programme that happens to be showing in file explorer) and want to save something, i've never been able to save any of my file explorer work. for example, when i'm wortking...
  7. File Explorer is working slow now or not at all

File Explorer is working slow now or not at all: I don't know what is going on with Windows 10 but now when I open file explorer it only shows Quick Access tab and Desktop tab on the left and nothing else. THen it has a green progress bar going across that takes about 2 minutes to show other drives and folder. And if I...
  8. "This PC" in File explorer not working

"This PC" in File explorer not working: In File Explorer, when I select "This PC", the little blue circle goes around, and around, and around, not ending, even after an hour or so, and does not give the list. Program indicates "Not Responding". How do I correct this?...
  9. File Explorer's Play all command stopped working

File Explorer's Play all command stopped working: File Explorer's Play all command stopped working with folders that contain flac files. Returns error message "Unable to find a playable file". Double-clicking in a file in the same folder successfully plays the file....
  10. File Explorer Help?

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Help?: I can't find any setting or info on the internet as to why one of my drives is not showing on the left hand side of the File Explorer window.... Things to note: the drive in question is a software raid, syncing is done Anyone have any ideas? 40680