Windows 10: Help! File sharing broken, have tried everything!

Discus and support Help! File sharing broken, have tried everything! in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; File sharing is broken on my “Theater” computer which is my home theater and multimedia server machine with all my music and videos on it. It’s been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DrWizard, Sep 11, 2018.

1. DrWizard Win User

Help! File sharing broken, have tried everything!

File sharing is broken on my “Theater” computer which is my home theater and multimedia server machine with all my music and videos on it. It’s been broken for a couple of weeks now, and I have spent countless hours troubleshooting with no success.

I consider myself to be quite computer literate. I’ve worked in the computer biz for over 40 years including networking and IT, engineering, and software development.

The machine shows up in “Network” in File Explorer, and its 2 shares “Music” and “Videos” show up when you double-click or open the “Theater” machine.

However, when you try to open a share, you get the message that “Windows cannot access the share”. “Details” returns an error 0x80070035, “The network path was not found”. “Diagnose” detects the problem that “The remote device or resource won’t accept the connection”. This happens even when the Theater machine attempts to open its own shares.

I have:
    • Pinged all machines, NAS, router, and switches from all other machines to this one, and from this one to all others. No problems. Reply always 4ms or less.
    • Verified, and re-verified and verified again the IPv4 addresses, subnet mask, gateway, DNS, and DHCP settings (IP: Static 10.3.7.137, Mask: 255.255.248.0, GW: 10.3.7.1, DNS: 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8. MAC: D4:3D:7E:55:83:1D has DHCP reserved IP of 10.3.7.137) (All machines normally used fixed IPs, but also have their IP reserved in DHCP based on MAC as a fallback)
    • Remote desktop works to and from the Theater machine. The Plex Server at port 32400 is available to all other machines on the network.
    • I have turned off windows firewall and defender anti-virus. No 3rd party firewall or anti-virus is installed. Controlled folder access is off.
    • Even though the Firewall is turned off, I have carefully looked through all the rules (in and out) and allowed anything and everything that seems like it might apply.
    • Windows Update is up to date. All device drivers including for the NIC are up to date.
    • I have liberalized sharing permissions. “Everyone”, “Users”, “Administrators”, and “Wizard” (That’s me!) all have full access in sharing security and file security. No-one has any “Denies”.
    • I have reset TCP/IP and Winsock and flushed DNS from administrator command prompt, and then rebooted, on all machines.
    • NetBIOS is enabled over TCP/IP (in Network Adapter -> IPv4 -> Advanced -> WINS) on all machines.
    • "Client for Microsoft Networks" and "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" is installed and enabled for the NIC.
    • The “Reliable Multicast Protocol” has been added and enabled to all machines.
    • Windows “Server”, “Workstation”, and “Computer Browser” services are all running. Network discovery and file sharing are turned on in the “Network and Sharing Center”.
    • “Network Security: LAN Manager authentication Level” is set to “Send LM & NTLM – use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated” in security policies on all machines.
    • Cleared all credentials from the credentials manager on all machines.
    • Most machines are on Window 10 Pro release 1803. (Note that Homegroups were removed by Microsoft starting with release 1803.)
    • The network mode/location is set for “Private” (Home).
    • Most of the machines, including Theater, are hardwired with ethernet cable.
    • The Theater machine shows up in a SoftPerfect NetScan of the network, but NetScan does not see or list any available shares on that machine (unlike other machines on the network, where it does see/list the shares).
    • All machines are on the workgroup “WORKGROUP”.
    • There is no domain or domain controller/server.
    • I HAD Ivacy VPN client installed on that machine. I have uninstalled it. It’s still on one of my other machines though, and is not interfering with its shares.
    • IPv6 is installed/enabled on all machines. IPv6 address set for obtain automatically, All IPv6 addresses start with FE80:: DNS set to 2606:4700:4700::1111 (CloudFlare) and 2001:4860:4860::8888 (Google)
    • Shares on other machines can be opened without any problem, including from the Theater machine.
    • I have dug all through the event logs in event viewer and I can only find one error that seems relevant:

Clues: in the Event Viewer -> Application and Service Logs -> Microsoft -> Windows -> SMBClient -> Connectivity there are errors:
    “Failed to establish a network connection.
    Error: The transport connection attempt was refused by the remote system.
    Server name: THEATER
    Server address: 10.3.7.137:445
    Instance name: \Device\LanmanRedirector
    Connection type: Wsk
    Guidance:
    This indicates a problem with the underlying network or transport, such as with TCP/IP, and not with SMB. A firewall that blocks TCP port 445, or TCP port 5445 when using an iWARP RDMA adapter, can also cause this issue.”
    (Note, as previously mentioned, the Windows Firewall is turned OFF)

So what I have missed or overlooked? What further tests or diagnostics should I run?

:)

DrWizard, Sep 11, 2018
  2. Akumos Win User

File Sharing

Ermmm, where are the files stored? Server or one of the machines you listed?

Should be easy enough to help you through the forum, you may not need a help site.

Akumos, Sep 11, 2018
  3. File Sharing

Hi Dwayne,

The ability to share files within your homegroup can be set based on your preference in the HomeGroup settings. For us to identify if the file sharing issue is caused by the update or an option not being retained in the HomeGroup setting, we'd like to ask
    for additional details. Please answer the following:

• Aside from installing an update, have you also made any recent changes to the HomeGroup settings?
    • What specific update have you installed before the file sharing stopped working? To check the Update history, follow these steps:
    • On the Search bar, type Settings.
    • Open the Settings app from the search result.
    • Click Update & security and check the Windows Update section.
    • Click the Update history link.
    • Have you already checked if the file and printer sharing is enabled in the
      Advanced sharing settings
      in the Control Panel?
    • What build and version of Windows 10 are you using?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried based on the threads that you've read?
    For initial troubleshooting, you can run the built-in troubleshooter for HomeGroup by following the steps below:

• On the Search bar, type Troubleshoot.
    • Open the Control Panel from the search result.
    • Click View all and locate HomeGroup.
    • Click HomeGroup and follow the on-screen guide to run the troubleshooter.
    We hope to hear from you soon.

Jennifer Cha, Sep 11, 2018
  4. Help! File sharing broken, have tried everything!

Cannot access shared network drive

I could scream! so much time wasted on this stupid error, as if time is not precious enough!
    It probably would work fine if I could see the other computer! But I cannot see the other computer!

sharonspost, Sep 11, 2018
Thema:

Help! File sharing broken, have tried everything!

1. Help! File sharing broken, have tried everything! - Similar Threads - Help File sharing

2. help fixing broken icons on windows 10 tryed everything

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    help fixing broken icons on windows 10 tryed everything: thumbnails work fine when bigger ihave tried deleting the icons.db rebooted used sage thumbs icon rebuilder nothing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/help-fixing-broken-icons-on-windows-10-tryed/cc4064b6-0b34-4a5e-8525-58a10cd6b6f5
  3. help fixing broken icons on windows 10 tryed everything

in Windows 10 Gaming
    help fixing broken icons on windows 10 tryed everything: thumbnails work fine when bigger ihave tried deleting the icons.db rebooted used sage thumbs icon rebuilder nothing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/help-fixing-broken-icons-on-windows-10-tryed/cc4064b6-0b34-4a5e-8525-58a10cd6b6f5
  4. help fixing broken icons on windows 10 tryed everything

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. No pdf previews tried everything. the file explorer is broken.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No pdf previews tried everything. the file explorer is broken.: still no previews on PDFS in file explorer I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING. brand new pc.re installed windows, clean install nothing.adobe acrobat general settings, nothing.regeadit fix, nothing.tried the change it to adobe acrobat in properties, nothing.even tried PowerToys ,...
  6. No pdf previews tried everything. the file explorer is broken.

No pdf previews tried everything. the file explorer is broken.: still no previews on PDFS in file explorer I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING. brand new pc.re installed windows, clean install nothing.adobe acrobat general settings, nothing.regeadit fix, nothing.tried the change it to adobe acrobat in properties, nothing.even tried PowerToys ,...
  7. Tried everything file is not deleting help pls

Tried everything file is not deleting help pls: I TRIED CHANGING ADMINISTRATOR , i tried finding process in resource monitor , i tried stopping windows explorer , i did restart many times but i cant find where the file is in use plz help...
  8. Tried everything file is not deleting help pls

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tried everything file is not deleting help pls: I TRIED CHANGING ADMINISTRATOR , i tried finding process in resource monitor , i tried stopping windows explorer , i did restart many times but i cant find where the file is in use plz help...
  9. Tried everything file is not deleting help pls

10. Is File Sharing Just Broken?

Is File Sharing Just Broken?: I have never been able to get this feature working, going back to Windows 7 and on numerous different machines. Recently I built a new desktop and thought I'd give it another shot - trying to make files available to my laptop. Shockingly, it worked .... briefly. A couple of...