Windows 10: HELP - Firefox and Windows 10

Discus and support HELP - Firefox and Windows 10 in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Ever since I installed windows 10 (and never before) My firefox has been showing a repeated annoying problem. Within certain sites where I wish to... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Shlaymeh, May 14, 2016.

1. Shlaymeh Win User

HELP - Firefox and Windows 10

Ever since I installed windows 10 (and never before) My firefox has been showing a repeated annoying problem.

Within certain sites where I wish to open a new window (to open and expand a small picture for instance) - often (not always) it causes causes multiple unwanted identical windows to open simultaneously. Then I must manually click each window to close them all.

I have searched for a solution for MONTHS - so far no one seems to even have the same problem.

Frustrated..

:)

Shlaymeh, May 14, 2016
  2. mlg63 Win User

How do I keep Firefox my default browser?

There might be a problem with Firefox. Make sure you have the latest version. Download and install Chrome. You can have several browsers installed. Pick Chrome as the default for both email and browser temporarily and see if that works. If it does, check
    with firefox support for news about using it with windows 10. There have been reports of problems with earlier versions of firefox and win 10.

See it this helps-- A Few Tips for Using Firefox 40 with Windows 10 - Thurrott.com

mlg63, May 14, 2016
  3. Jsssssssss, May 14, 2016
  4. mrgeek Win User

Can you post a link to test and/or a screen shot ?

mrgeek, May 14, 2016
  5. Shlaymeh Win User
    I suppose it is possible - it is never predictable and not constant. It can happen a few times in a row or not for a few days.
    What you would see is 10 to 20 identical windows opening all within about 1.5 seconds , all on top of each other. On the bottom of the page - the tool bar -10-20 identical little boxes next to each other. It happens more regularly on one particular site but also on two other sites where clicking on a link is meant to produce the opening of one window.

Shlaymeh, May 14, 2016
  6. Edwin New Member
    Type about:config in a new tab, then navigate to dom.popup_maximum and double click to set the value to 0 then save.
    You could also middle click links to open in a new tab instead of a new window.

HELP - Firefox and Windows 10 [​IMG]

Edwin, May 14, 2016
  7. Shlaymeh Win User
    In that case do I not want to leave the possibility for ONE pop-up which I actually wish to appear? (so should I change it to 1 instead of 20 there?)

Shlaymeh, May 14, 2016
  8. Edwin New Member

Yes, that should work fine.

Edwin, May 14, 2016
  9. Shlaymeh Win User
    In that case do I not want to leave the possibility for ONE pop-up which I actually wish to appear? (so should I change it to 1 instead of 20 there?)

Shlaymeh, May 14, 2016
  10. Shlaymeh Win User
    OK - I changed it from 20 to 1

Lets give it a few days and see what happens - (or hopefully does NOT happen)

Shlaymeh, May 14, 2016
  11. Shlaymeh Win User
    Apparently changing the dom-popup_maximum from 20 to 1 did not help. It still just now opened 12 identical popup windows.
    here:

Any other ideas?

Shlaymeh, May 14, 2016
  12. Shlaymeh Win User
    Could it be because I did not restart the firefox
    the change in the config is still holding as I changed it

here

Shlaymeh, May 14, 2016
  13. Edwin New Member

I'm not sure what kind of links you're clicking on to cause these pop-ups, but, here's a couple more settings you could experiment with:

browser.link.open_newwindow.restriction, set to 0,
    (this will open the links in a new tab instead of a new window)

privacy.popups.disable_from_plugins, set to 3

Also, check pop settings in Content Settings

Edwin, May 14, 2016
  14. Shlaymeh Win User
    Yes I do use a popup blocker to stop advertisements - but I am not trying to stop pop ups - I am trying to stop a desired pop up from opening multiple identical (unwanted) windows. I want one not 12

Shlaymeh, May 14, 2016
  15. Rocky Win User
    From reading through this whole thread it sounds to me like it could be a mouse problem. Check the batteries if it is a wireless mouse and check the driver to see if it is up to date.

Rocky, May 14, 2016
Thema:

1. HELP - Firefox and Windows 10 - Similar Threads - HELP Firefox

2. Firefox Gobbles Up Too Much CPU.. Help!

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox Gobbles Up Too Much CPU.. Help!: Hi guys.. firefox gobbles up too much cpu on my win 10 PC. I checked task manager and found many processes of firefox are running at the same time which is weird. Check the screen shot. How do i fix this? 179995
  3. Help removing 'Open With...' context menu item (Specifically, Firefox)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help removing 'Open With...' context menu item (Specifically, Firefox): After an attempt a few months ago, I jumped back to Firefox and then immediately remembered what prevented me from staying before. It is now showing in my context menu under 'Open With...' for PDFs. I use two programs to open PDFs, the secondary also starting with 'F,' so...
  4. Windows 10 opening Adobe Illustraor help search in IE not defailt browser (Firefox)

Windows 10 opening Adobe Illustraor help search in IE not defailt browser (Firefox): Whenever I search in the help box in Adobe Illustrator, the browser that opens is IE - despite my default browser being Firefox. On my Windows 10 machine, if I look in: C > Programme Files (86) > Common Files > Adobe > Help > en_GB > Illustrator > 14.0 I can find the...
  5. While using Photoshop and Firefox, my PC randomly crashes and this is the error. Any help,...

While using Photoshop and Firefox, my PC randomly crashes and this is the error. Any help,...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/LeuxD [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lrbrcg/while_using_photoshop_and_firefox_my_pc_randomly/
  6. PR_END_OF_FILE_ERROR Firefox Help please

PR_END_OF_FILE_ERROR Firefox Help please: I need to access my universities website but can't because of this error. I have a card reader and try to log into my universities homepage but I cant because of the Error code in the title. I turnt off VPN, checked about:config, checked about:profiless, disabled kaspersky,...
  7. Help Required after windows update 4556799 firefox passwords gone

Help Required after windows update 4556799 firefox passwords gone: Hi all, first time poster so apologies if posting in wrong place. My laptop updated windows recently says kb4556799 failed to install with this error 0xc1900401. KB4552931 was the last successful install. When i restarted the laptop i think i got a Internet explorer page...
  8. Web Camera help? Works on Discord but not Google chrome, firefox etc.

Web Camera help? Works on Discord but not Google chrome, firefox etc.: Anyone else? As soon as I try to go on a site like omegle or chatroulette I an error that says "You have denied access to the devices" etc But I have not, I have not gotten any popups, going into google chrome settings and firefox I have tried having it so they ask or even...
  9. Needing help tinkering with Firefox browser 67.0 (Buttons Issue)

in Browsers and Email
    Needing help tinkering with Firefox browser 67.0 (Buttons Issue): I have just figured out how to move the buttons for my add-ons to underneath the the main buttons area. Which makes my browser look a bit more organized and clean. But I still have problems with the buttons that are inside the main search bar. Like the "Toggle Reader View"...
  10. Help Microsoft has hijacked Firefox and Chrome

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Help Microsoft has hijacked Firefox and Chrome: I am on windows 10 PRO (that I paid for no less) version 1709 (Build 16299.726), the last update to my machine was KB4090007. Now no matter what I do Chrome and Firefox ( even I.E and Edge) open to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/. I have set the start page in all browsers to...