Windows 10: Help, first I have black screen of death with cursor after upgrading to windows 10 from 7,...

Discus and support Help, first I have black screen of death with cursor after upgrading to windows 10 from 7,... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; As you can see I have the above going on. Now I have googled and googled and read lots of stuff. I have created a USB drive. I should say this is my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Madfish44, May 28, 2020.

1. Madfish44 Win User

Help, first I have black screen of death with cursor after upgrading to windows 10 from 7,...

As you can see I have the above going on. Now I have googled and googled and read lots of stuff. I have created a USB drive. I should say this is my lap top which is a asus k450c series and is about 5 years old. I created the usb on my new lenovo computer. First of when I try system restore there is no point to restore from. Then I have tried cmd prompt and starting in safe mode, wont work. I should also say my command prompt only has X: \Sources at the begining, I have tried following methods to skip this using bcdedit, again nothing happens and am unable to type anything else in.

I should also say I couldn't force the computer into safe mode it wouldn't do anything when I turned it on and off 3 times. I also do not have start up settings in the troubleshoot menu, I only have Startup Repair, UEFI Firmware settings, Command Prompt, System Restore and when I do this is asks for me to restart the computer and choose a operating system, which of course I cannot do, Uninstall Updates and system recovery image. All of which do nothing. I have also tried to do a factory reset from command propmt, I should also say this computers hard drive is partitioned I think, as I had a C drive and a D drive and remember seeing this when I was in settings when I did use computer. I am not very computer literate but can follow instructions. I have spent hours researching it so anything you can google I have already tried. I am not worried about keeping anything on computer as had already cleared it, so even if you can tell me how to wipe and start afresh Thanks !

:)

Madfish44, May 28, 2020

2. Windows 7 black screen of death

I read a report a little while ago that said the black screens were nothing to do with updates but due to a malicious program (it hit more than just windows 7 users - vista, xp and 2000 were also prone to the black startup screen of death if infected). My windows 7 install is fully up-to-date and i've never had the black startup screen.

Just run some decent anti virus and you should be safe (i suggest microsoft security essentails since it's free and pretty decent). When you've installed an anti-virus i'd suggest doing a full scen to be sure there's nothing there.

human_error, May 28, 2020
  3. 95Viper Win User
    Black screen after 'Starting Windows' sequence

Sounds like the old... windows black screen of death.

Try this quoted from "VisiHow" article "Repair Windows 7 Black Screen of Death":

They, also, have some other options there, too.
    Google search and you will find a lot of the "Windows Black Screen of Death with cursor" fixes.

95Viper, May 28, 2020
  4. Help, first I have black screen of death with cursor after upgrading to windows 10 from 7,...

windows 10 black screen of death how do I fix this ? cursor is gone

Windows 10 ("Black Screen Of Death") No Cursor either, I am using a Dell desktop ! Help

Americanwonder9, May 28, 2020
Thema:

Help, first I have black screen of death with cursor after upgrading to windows 10 from 7,...

1. Help, first I have black screen of death with cursor after upgrading to windows 10 from 7,... - Similar Threads - Help black screen

2. Black screen with cursor Windows 7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen with cursor Windows 7: Last week, I got a BSoD on my PC and after it restarted a black screen with nothing but a cursor showed up. So I decided to restart my computer assuming that it'll fix it but it didn't, instead it said it failed to started so I decided to attempt a Startup Repair as I've had...
  3. Windows showing black screen with cursor at first, but then no cursor

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows showing black screen with cursor at first, but then no cursor: Hello,I’ve been having issues with booting up my laptop lately. Today I turned it on like normal because I thought I needed to use my laptop, and I wasn’t paying attention, but I think what happened was my computer got to the login screen, but I just didn’t log in because I...
  4. Windows showing black screen with cursor at first, but then no cursor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows showing black screen with cursor at first, but then no cursor: Hello,I’ve been having issues with booting up my laptop lately. Today I turned it on like normal because I thought I needed to use my laptop, and I wasn’t paying attention, but I think what happened was my computer got to the login screen, but I just didn’t log in because I...
  5. Windows showing black screen with cursor at first, but then no cursor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Black screen of death with cursor and taskbar

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen of death with cursor and taskbar: I have the windows installation download on a USB but the computer is refusing to run the download and saying the system isn't ready https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/black-screen-of-death-with-cursor-and-taskbar/953fd52b-8a59-45ef-b7e9-99c9a97da03f
  7. Black screen of death and blinking cursor after login... HELP!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen of death and blinking cursor after login... HELP!: Hello everyone, I've been racking my mind and exhausted every possible forum for solutions. I hadn't done any updates so I'm assuming it might be due to an automatic update. When I tried to start the computer up this morning I got this black screen with a cursor after...
  8. black screen of death windows 10 no cursor

black screen of death windows 10 no cursor: the last time I was able to use my computer i shut it off AFTER an update was complete. i packed it up with bubblewrap and some pillows as i just moved a few hours away when i hooked everything up no signal. nothing on the computer would indicate its an external problem that...
  9. Black screen with cursor after install and first login

Black screen with cursor after install and first login: Just upgraded my bro-in-law's HP Pavilion desktop from 8.1 to 10. It's got an AMD processor, but I don't know which one exactly...probably one of the lower level ones. It was a refurb from Fry's, purchased a couple of months ago. It was running 8.1 just fine. The upgrade...
  10. Black screen with cursor after upgrade from 7 ultimate to 10

Black screen with cursor after upgrade from 7 ultimate to 10: I upgraded from windows 7 ultimate to windows 10. It seemed to install okay and asked me to log on and select setup preferences, which I did. I left it alone to finish setup and it went to sleep. Now I only get a black screen with an active cursor. I've tried multiple hard...