Windows 10: Help folders are read only, can't change attribute no security tab, no group editor Windows...

Discus and support Help folders are read only, can't change attribute no security tab, no group editor Windows... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi all, I recently lost a hard drive and got a new portable hard drive. My backups were cloned and copied to the hard drive I keep my data on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by AnnoPZ, Jul 9, 2020.

1. AnnoPZ Win User

Help folders are read only, can't change attribute no security tab, no group editor Windows...

Hi all,

I recently lost a hard drive and got a new portable hard drive. My backups were cloned and copied to the hard drive I keep my data on protable drives However, I now have the problem that the folders on this drive are read only. When I change the attribute to not read only, it doesn't stick and the file remains read only. It is admin account and I have Windows 10 Home.

I can't use the fixes I've found which are: change permission with security tab no security tab, to add a security tab, it is recommended to use group policy editor. However, group policy editor been disabled in the Home version. I've tried installing it but it doesn't work.

I would prefer to have a security tab and be able to change this files.

I'm very frustrated and I'd appreciate any help I could get.

:)

AnnoPZ, Jul 9, 2020

2. Read Only Attribute in Win 10

Hi Alexandru,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

I will be glad to help you with the issue you have with the computer. I understand the frustration when things don't work the way it should.

You may experience any of the following symptoms:

• You cannot view or change the Read-only or System attributes of a folder by using the
      Properties dialog box for the folder. For example, you may experience the following symptoms:
      • When you view the General tab of a folder's Properties dialog box, the
        Read-only check box is not available, and there is no check box to change the System attribute.
      • You click to clear or click to select the Read-only check box on the
        General tab of a folder's Properties dialog box. When you click
        OK or Apply, you receive the following message:
        Confirm Attribute Changes

You have chosen to make the following attribute changes:

unset read-only

Do you want to apply this change to this folder only, or do you want to apply it to all subfolders and files as well?
        If you click Apply changes to this folder only, the Read-only attribute is changed for all the files in the folder. However, the Read-only attribute is not changed for the folder, its subfolders, or any files in its subfolders. If you click
        Apply changes to this folder, subfolders, and files, the Read-only attribute is changed for all files in the folder and all files in the subfolders. However, the Read-only attribute is not changed for the folder or its subfolders.
    • Some programs may display error messages when you try to save files to a folder that uses the Read-only or System attribute. As a result, these programs may not be able to save files to the folder.
    To work around this problem, use the Attrib command at a command prompt (Cmd.exe) to view or to remove the Read-only or the System attributes of folders. To view or to remove the Read-only or the System attributes of folders
    Warning If you remove the Read-only or System attribute from a folder, it may appear as a ordinary folder and some customizations may be lost. For example, Windows customizes the Fonts folder and provides a special folder view that permits you
    to hide variations, such as bold and italic. It also permits you to change the folder's view settings in ways that are specific to fonts. If you remove the Read-only and System attributes of the Fonts folder, these customized view settings are not available.
    For folders that you have customized by using the Customize tab of the folder's
    Properties dialog box, the folder icon and other other customizations may be lost when you remove the Read-only attribute.

If a program cannot save files to a folder with the Read-only attribute, such as My Documents, change the Read-only attribute to System by using the Attrib command at a command prompt.

Note If the Run command is not listed on the
    Start menu, do the following: Click Start, click
    All Programs, click Accessories, and then click
    Run.

To remove the Read-only attribute and to set the System attribute, use the following command:

attrib -r +s drive:\<path>\<foldername>
    For example, to remove the Read-only attribute and to set the System attribute for the C:\Test folder, use the following command:
    attrib -r +s c:\test
    Be aware that some programs may not operate correctly with folders for which the System attribute and the Read-only attribute are set. Therefore, use the following command to remove these attributes:
    attrib -r -s c:\test

Hope this information is helpful. Please post in case you have any further issues, we will be glad to help you further.

Thank you.

Ruth Buruga, Jul 9, 2020
  3. change read only attribute

Hi Luisdel,

• What exactly are you trying to do?
    • What happens you try to change it?
    After upgrading to Windows 10, some users are reporting that files in their \Documents folder are read only when they try to access them in an Office app. This may be caused by incorrect permissions on the files.

You can fix this using these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later. Please let us know if it’s working.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Jul 9, 2020
  4. Help folders are read only, can't change attribute no security tab, no group editor Windows...

How to remove Read Only attribute from Files and Folders?

Old title: Read Only

Hello Charles,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Let us know few things to assist you better in this regard.

Are you concerned about removing Read Only Attribute from Files/Folders option?

Are you referring to the error Read Only while accessing files/folders?

Do you have any problem in unchecking Read Only option?

Windows Explorer uses the Read-Only attribute to determine whether or not the folder is customized. However you can't remove the attribute permanently from the Files/Folder options. Instead you can make changes accordingly if you're getting Read only error
    while accessing files or folders.

• Open the properties of the main
      User Profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc.). You can open the properties of a particular folder by
      Right-clicking on it and select Properties from context menu.

• Go to the Security tab and click
      Advanced.

• Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click
      Ok.

Keep us posted for any concerns with windows, we're glad to assist you.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Jul 9, 2020
Thema:

Help folders are read only, can't change attribute no security tab, no group editor Windows...

1. Help folders are read only, can't change attribute no security tab, no group editor Windows... - Similar Threads - Help folders are

2. Cannot change Read-Only attribute in any folders.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot change Read-Only attribute in any folders.: I am an admin and only user of my PC Win 10 10.0.19045 Build 19045I tried to remove the Read Only attribute of the Download folder or Program Files folder and none would work. It would always revert back to Read-Only. For that reason, I am unable to install a software.I have...
  3. Cannot change Read-Only attribute in any folders.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot change Read-Only attribute in any folders.: I am an admin and only user of my PC Win 10 10.0.19045 Build 19045I tried to remove the Read Only attribute of the Download folder or Program Files folder and none would work. It would always revert back to Read-Only. For that reason, I am unable to install a software.I have...
  4. Cannot change Read-Only attribute in any folders.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Changing read-only folder attributes troubleshooting

Changing read-only folder attributes troubleshooting: Hello.I recently did a clean uninstall of my Windows 10 64 bit OS and thought I had backed all of my programs and data to DVD-RW. After doing so, I realized I had not. I have used my all in one Canon printer to scan printed documents and had hoped to convert them using online...
  6. Changing read-only folder attributes troubleshooting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing read-only folder attributes troubleshooting: Hello.I recently did a clean uninstall of my Windows 10 64 bit OS and thought I had backed all of my programs and data to DVD-RW. After doing so, I realized I had not. I have used my all in one Canon printer to scan printed documents and had hoped to convert them using online...
  7. Changing read-only folder attributes troubleshooting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. windows 10 can't change read only attribute

windows 10 can't change read only attribute: I'm trying to turn off the read only attribute for a set of folders, except it wont change. According to the research i've done online the option that would give me the ability to turn that setting off is under virus & threat protection -> manage settings. The problem is...
  9. windows 10 read only attribute change

windows 10 read only attribute change: I'm trying to turn off the read only attribute for a set of folders, except it wont change. According to the research i've done online the option that would give me the ability to turn that setting off is under virus & threat protection -> manage settings. The problem is...
  10. Cannot change "Read Only" folder attribute.

Cannot change "Read Only" folder attribute.: I need to know how to fix the issue. The issue is "How do you change the folder's attributes so that it will no longer be "Read Only". I've gone into my PowerShell (Admin) and did the whole "attrib -r +s <drive>:\<folder>" thing -- it didn't work. I need some options....