Windows 10: Help for displaying photos in File Explorer

Discus and support Help for displaying photos in File Explorer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, something has changed somewhere. I like to use File Explorer to look at single photos and for slide shows. Before, When I clicked on a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by EricGuy19, Nov 28, 2019.

1. EricGuy19 Win User

Help for displaying photos in File Explorer

Hello, something has changed somewhere. I like to use File Explorer to look at single photos and for slide shows.

Before, When I clicked on a single photo, a 'More than' symbol appeared on the right to be able to move to the next slide.

Now, when I click on some photos, the symbol does not appear, and I cannot move to the next photo.

However, this problem does not occur for each photo.

Any ideas? Thanks

:)

EricGuy19, Nov 28, 2019
  2. Billb1111 Win User

Displaying Thumbnails for .jpg files in Windows 10 File Explorer

Thanks for your suggestion.

As "recommended for Windows 10", "Photos" is the default app for "Photo viewer" (.jpg isn't really listed as the file extension in the settings).

Do you have another app you would suggest?

By the way, my photos open and display just fine, the issue is the general absence of thumbnails in File Explorer.

Billb1111, Nov 28, 2019
  3. Billb1111 Win User
    Displaying Thumbnails for .jpg files in Windows 10 File Explorer

Certified_Friend,

Thank you for your continued suggestions and patience. I would like to respond to your questions in some detail and hope it can help us discover/determine a viable solution.

Regarding which files do not have thumbnails: .jpg, .bmp, .avi, .mp4, etc.
    They have different icon designs, but no thumbnails.

Regarding installing Windows Live Photo Gallery:

• It is certainly possible I did something wrong, but I started by clicking on the link you provided:
      Windows Live Photo Gallery 2012 (Windows) - Download
    • From the web site, on the same line as Windows Live Photo Gallery 2012, I clicked on the Green Button labeled “Free Download, Safe download”.
    • On the next page, I chose not to sign-in with either Facebook or Google+, but selected the Alternative Download.
      That downloaded a file “wlsetup-web.exe” which I saved and then executed through File Explorer.
    • Navigating to the file in File Explorer, I did a right click and selected Troubleshoot Compatibility.
    • Next, I selected Troubleshoot Program, then the first choice, “The program worked in an earlier version of Windows, but won’t install or run now”.
    • In the next window, I selected Windows Vista (SP2). [Actually I tried them all, but you specifically said Vista.]
    • I then clicked Test the program. When asked by the User Account Control on my computer, I said yes, I wanted to allow changes to my computer which began the Windows Essentials 2012 Preparing to install.
    • That was very shortly followed by “Couldn’t Install program”…just as before.
    • Did I miss something here?

Regarding previous installation of Windows Live/Essentials: This is a new PC purchased in the last year and it would not let me install any of the Windows Live/Essentials right from the beginning.
    I have gone through all the programs listed in Control Panel/Programs and Features/Uninstall a Program and cannot find any program listed that appears to address Microsoft and Windows Live and/or Essentials.

All of that having been said, I have found some more interesting, but not necessarily helpful, idiosyncrasies.

• Changing the default photo viewing program from Photos to Paint changes the design of the icons displayed in File Explorer, but does not result in the thumbnails being displayed.
    • Opening a .jpg file in Paint and saving it as a .bmp does result in the thumbnail displaying in File Explorer.
    • Interestingly enough, opening a .jpg file in Paint and resaving it as the same .jpg file also results in the thumbnail displaying.
    • Even more interesting is that opening a .jpg file in Photos and selecting Edit & Create, Edit, then Save a copy, results in the thumbnail subsequently displaying in File Explorer WHETHER OR NOT the file is actually saved (the final step in saving a copy).

I guess the bottom line is that there appears to be an issue between the files as saved on my PC and File Explorer which may not be influenced by either Photos and/or Paint.
    Note these exact same files backed-up/duplicated on my Laptop (purchased only a couple months after the PC) properly display as thumbnails in File Explorer.

Certainly, I could spend an indeterminate amount of time going through hundreds of photos, opening each one and resaving them, but that clearly seems inappropriate…there has to be a better way.

Thank you again for your efforts at trying to sort out this weird and annoying situation.

Bill

Billb1111, Nov 28, 2019
  4. Help for displaying photos in File Explorer

I have added the file count column to my folder in File Explorer. However, the actual file count is not displaying.

Hi Loren,

I appreciate if you could answer a
    few questions to narrow down the issue and to provide you better assistance.

• How did you added file count column for folders in File Explorer? What are the steps did you followed?
    • When you say, "actual file count is not displaying" is this issue specific to any folder or happening with all folders?
    • Have you installed any third party anti-virus on your system?
    Meanwhile, I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if this helps.

• Open File Explorer.
    • Click on View from navigation pane and choose Detail pane.
    Write to us with the above information and status of the issue to assist you further.

Thank You.

ThofikhAhamad, Nov 28, 2019
Thema:

Help for displaying photos in File Explorer

1. Help for displaying photos in File Explorer - Similar Threads - Help displaying photos

2. windows explorer crashing and photos display in explorer problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows explorer crashing and photos display in explorer problems: I have been having issues with windows explorer. There are mainly two issues that could be related.1. The windows explorer crashes intermittently not always. All explorer windows close and processes stop. 2. I work with photos a lot. In the explorer if I have hundreds of...
  3. photos and file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    photos and file explorer: I have a new windows 11 laptop which came with the new photos app. All my photos get saved in one drive to this app. How do I get the new photos I've just taken to save in my file explorer on this pc? I need to work with the photos in file explorer not the new windows 11...
  4. photos and file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    photos and file explorer: I have a new windows 11 laptop which came with the new photos app. All my photos get saved in one drive to this app. How do I get the new photos I've just taken to save in my file explorer on this pc? I need to work with the photos in file explorer not the new windows 11...
  5. File Explorer and photos

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer and photos: I'm usually good with this sorta stuff but I cant figure this out: How do I make my pictures from file explorer open in Photos? I've tried pressing the open in thing but photos is not showing, I also tried looking in settings on the photos app....
  6. Most photos do not display in File Explorer or Insert

Most photos do not display in File Explorer or Insert: Lately, when I go to look at an image in File Explorer or to insert an image in Word or Facebook, most of the images are not shown. I checked Task Manager and CPU, memory and disk are not much busy. After a full 15 minutes, File Explorer still has not shown almost all the...
  7. File explorer slideshow displays random photos

in Windows 10 Customization
    File explorer slideshow displays random photos: I have been able to show all my photos for years in alpha/numeric sequence in file explorer slide show; but now the show them in a random sequence, including all my old files which previously showed them as alpha/numeric. Please could you tell me how I can disable random play...
  8. Photos on File Explorer

Photos on File Explorer: I have been able to show all my photos for years in alpha/numeric sequence in file explorer slide show; but now the show them in a random sequence, including all my old files which previously showed them as alpha/numeric. Please could you tell me how I can disable random play...
  9. File Explorer / Photos

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File Explorer / Photos: Hello, Through One Drive I have all of my pictures on PC. Today I accidentaly pressed Group By button in File Explorer and all of my photos are in different order. I've tried every single button grouping by Name, Time and even None anyhow all the photos aren't in the same...
  10. Photos not displaying in Windows Explorer

Photos not displaying in Windows Explorer: I have Windows 10. I'm wondering what setting I must have changed, because in Windows Explorer, I have icons instead of photos. I can't find where to change it back!...