Windows 10: Help Getting an Encrypted Hard drive to read

Discus and support Help Getting an Encrypted Hard drive to read in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello I am new to Windows 10 and was pretty much forced to change over. I had a windows 7 laptop that I took into my local computer shop and when I got... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by EmDee8907, Feb 23, 2019.

1. EmDee8907 Win User

Help Getting an Encrypted Hard drive to read

Hello I am new to Windows 10 and was pretty much forced to change over. I had a windows 7 laptop that I took into my local computer shop and when I got it back they had swapped out the 1TB Barracuda hard drive with a smaller one. they told me it was encrypted. I dont recall or even know how to encrypt it but I would like to try and access it and see if I can figure out the password. I have a 2.5 HDD enclosure that I have had around and this one fits the hard drive. when I plug it in to the laptop the hdd lights blue but there are no pop ups on the laptop installing and it never shows on my pc.

Like I said I am very new to 10 and have tried googling but nothing worked. the hard drive itself was less than 6 months old.

Im not sure if it matters but the old laptop was hp as well DV6000 entertainment pc windows 7 now i am using a windows 10 hp.

thank you in advance for the help and I look forward to learning windows 10

:)

EmDee8907, Feb 23, 2019

2. BitLocker Encrypted Hard Drive to MAC

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

I suggest you to perform below mentioned steps to disable BitLocker.

To disable BitLocker I would suggest you try the following steps and see if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Control Panel.

• Change View by from Category
      to Large Icons/Small Icons.

• Click on BitLocker Drive Encryption and click on
      Turn BitLocker Off.

• Follow on screen instructions. Click on Decrypt the Drive
      when the message appears.
    I would suggest you click on the link below and refer the following article.

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee424315(v=ws.10).aspx

(You can refer the steps in the above link as they are applicable for Windows 10 as well)

Check if it helps.

I hope the information helps. Please keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Feb 23, 2019
  3. Device Encryption not avaiable

Hello Fraczek,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

We understand your concern in this regard.

• Are you referring to BitLocker Drive Encryption?
    • What preventing you from doing this?
    • Did you get any error message or code while doing this?

Before you come up with the above information, suggest you to refer the article

Help protect your files using BitLocker Drive Encryption
    and see if it help you.

Do refer the article
    Windows BitLocker Drive Encryption Step-by-Step Guide
    and check if it help you with the required information.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Feb 23, 2019
  4. Marc Cai Win User

Encrypted External Drive that cannot be opened.

Hi Sana,

It is a good idea to use Bitlocker to protect hard drives. Please provide the following needed information:

1. How do you try to access the drive?

2. Do you get any pop-up message when trying to access the drive?

3. Is this an external hard drive?

You can turn off Bitlocker Drive Encryption by following these steps:

• Login as Administrator to your PC.

• Click Start, click Control Panel, click
      Security
      , and then click BitLocker Drive Encryption.

• From the BitLocker Drive Encryption page, find the volume on which you want BitLocker Drive Encryption turned off, and click
      Turn Off BitLocker Drive Encryption.

• From the What level of decryption do you want dialog box, click either
      Disable BitLocker Drive Encryption or Decrypt the volume as needed.

Regards.

Marc Cai, Feb 23, 2019
Thema:

1. Help Getting an Encrypted Hard drive to read - Similar Threads - Help Getting Encrypted

2. Cannot get in to repair Bitlocker encrypted hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot get in to repair Bitlocker encrypted hard drive: Split from this thread. I am running Windows 10 on a Lenovo Desktop. Yesterday when entering my pin to log in, I was unable to use any of the alphabet keys, only the numbers keys in my PIN.Took it to our local repair center and he said the system is encrypted and I need a 48...
  3. Cannot get in to repair Bitlocker encrypted hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot get in to repair Bitlocker encrypted hard drive: Split from this thread. I am running Windows 10 on a Lenovo Desktop. Yesterday when entering my pin to log in, I was unable to use any of the alphabet keys, only the numbers keys in my PIN.Took it to our local repair center and he said the system is encrypted and I need a 48...
  4. Cannot get in to repair Bitlocker encrypted hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Encrypted External Hard Drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Encrypted External Hard Drive.: I have External WD Drive that I encrypted, some hove confused with use of BitLocker. I need the data on the drive but can not access it any more. Any help-solution please.Thank you.MD...
  6. Reading External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Reading External Hard Drive: How do I open the files on my external hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reading-external-hard-drive/54ea6c70-619c-40b0-bd81-d9778007ec97
  7. Secure encryption for removable hard drive?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Secure encryption for removable hard drive?: I'm considering keeping a USB hard drive with some file backups in my car. I'm already backing up my entire computer to a drive in my home office; the car copy would just be critical files as a kind of catastrophic protection (in case of fire, etc). Since there would be...
  8. Secure encryption for removable hard drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    Secure encryption for removable hard drive?: I'm considering keeping a USB hard drive with some file backups in my car. I'm already backing up my entire computer to a drive in my home office; the car copy would just be critical files as a kind of catastrophic protection (in case of fire, etc). Since there would be...
  9. Bitlocker partially encrypted my hard drive - password not working - unable to read data.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bitlocker partially encrypted my hard drive - password not working - unable to read data.: Hi, I attached a removable hard drive with my office laptop. I mistakenly choose to bitlocker encryption. Bitlocker started encryption and stopped at 76%. After waiting for long time I removed it from laptop. After that I tried to read the data using my office laptop and home...
  10. Encrypting a hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Encrypting a hard drive: Good day all, I don't even know if this is the correct place to ask this so if anyone has a better place either on this forum or elsewhere I would appreciate it. Basically I know very little about encryption beyond the basics of what it is. What I'm looking for is a program...