Windows 10: Help! How do I secure a network drive?

Discus and support Help! How do I secure a network drive? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; After trying to follow tutorials, and winging it, I have ended up here with no idea how to fix it. I have a compute with a drive made using storage... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/slip-shot, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Help! How do I secure a network drive?

After trying to follow tutorials, and winging it, I have ended up here with no idea how to fix it.

I have a compute with a drive made using storage spaces (2 drives in parity). The security settings are Everyone: full access and the password protection in advanced sharing is turned off. As I understand it, this makes me vulnerable to external attack and I‘m at a loss for how to secure the drive. Anything I try results in the other computers losing access.

any help is appreciated.

submitted by /u/slip-shot
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/slip-shot, Sep 5, 2020

2. Welcome to our Networking Section Help! How do I secure a network drive? :)

Ya... security is not networkings but...

OK!

Networking and Security Forum

FTW

PVTCaboose1337, Sep 5, 2020
  3. Help needed with simple wired network

Step one- Connect all PC's to router, and then the router to the modem. PC's go to router by the ports labeled "1-4" on the back of the router. WAN port goes to router. Power up all network equipment, and then systems.
    Step two- Power on the computer connected to port one. Go into router settings at 192.168.0.1 and configure internet, dyndns, firewall, etc.
    Step three- Go to "network set up wizard" in windows. (Network places- network set up wizard). The rest is self explanatory.
    Step four- right click on each drive and printer you want to share, and then configure sharing preferences. Should be easy enough.
    Step five- right click my computer, and the select "map network drive". Using the network address for each piece of hardware you shared, assign network drive letters.

Congratulations, you have a fully operational network. Happy Gaming! *Toast :toast:

zekrahminator, Sep 5, 2020
  4. qubit Win User

Help! How do I secure a network drive?

Corporate Security Solution

That made me so facepalm. Some people have absolutely no clue. I hope they don't take you for granted with all this you're doing for them.

SonicWall is a good security product, so Mindweaver's suggestion sounds like a good one and should make for a rather bigger baby step. Let's hope they take it.

qubit, Sep 5, 2020
Thema:

Help! How do I secure a network drive?

1. Help! How do I secure a network drive? - Similar Threads - Help secure network

2. I don't know how network drive's security works

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I don't know how network drive's security works: Even if smb service doesn't work in outside [in here, mobile carriers don't provide smb service], Though I'm concerning that activated smb service with mounted, itself make such a problem in security, which provide ways to intrude to my window and nas.I've encountered many...
  3. I don't know how network drive's security works

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I don't know how network drive's security works: Even if smb service doesn't work in outside [in here, mobile carriers don't provide smb service], Though I'm concerning that activated smb service with mounted, itself make such a problem in security, which provide ways to intrude to my window and nas.I've encountered many...
  4. I don't know how network drive's security works

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. How do I scan to a network drive via RDP?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I scan to a network drive via RDP?: Hi, we have scanners connected to local computers that log into the terminal server via mstsc/remote desktop but we cannot scan whilst in the remote desktop session and save directly to a network drive.Is this even possible?We currently have two known options:1. Minimise the...
  6. How do I scan to a network drive via RDP?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I scan to a network drive via RDP?: Hi, we have scanners connected to local computers that log into the terminal server via mstsc/remote desktop but we cannot scan whilst in the remote desktop session and save directly to a network drive.Is this even possible?We currently have two known options:1. Minimise the...
  7. How do I get help signing into One Drive?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I get help signing into One Drive?: I can't sign into OneDrive. I enter my email address and then my password. Then the circle just goes round and round doing nothing after I enter my password. Nothing happens and I can't get in. It lasts forever until I cancel it. Any ideas?...
  8. How do I know the network credentials when accessing another network drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I know the network credentials when accessing another network drive?: [ATTACH] I tried going to Credential manager and there are a lot of things written under Generic Credentials. I don't know which credentials should I use. I want to know the username and password.I know I can just turn of password protection but I still want to know how to...
  9. How do I set security to access a mapped drive on another network computer

How do I set security to access a mapped drive on another network computer: I have set up a private network and a mapped drive on another network computer. I can see the mapped drive from the my PC in my network locations. When I try to open the mapped drive from my PC, I get a "Windows cannot access this device" since I do not have permission error....
  10. how do I make my network secure instead of open?

how do I make my network secure instead of open?: how do I make my network secure instead of open? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/how-do-i-make-my-network-secure-instead-of-open/be44c6d3-8c62-4792-a675-ee9be75477f4