Windows 10: Help! (How do you want to open this file) pops-up at the start of the windows. I have...

Discus and support Help! (How do you want to open this file) pops-up at the start of the windows. I have... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] submitted by /u/abhishekkc [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/abhishekkc, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Help! (How do you want to open this file) pops-up at the start of the windows. I have...

/u/abhishekkc, Dec 9, 2019

2. Corrupted file RAR

If the archive has been created using WinRAR, why don't you try WinRAR itself? It has a built-in repair feature for repairing corrupted archive (ZIP as well as RAR). Follow the steps given below:
    • Open WinRAR application in your system.
    • Now click on File tab > Open or simply press Ctrl+O.
    • A small window "Find Archive" will pop up. Locate the corrupt RAR archive from your system directory and select it.
    • Now click Open button.
    • Click Tools tab > Repair archive or simply press Alt+R.
    • Again a small window "Repairing File name.rar" will pop up.
    • Now click Browse to select a location to save the repaired archive.
    • Check the box "Treat the corrupt archive as RAR" and click OK.
    • WinRAR will start repairing of corrupt RAR archive. Once it gets completed click Close.
    I hope the above steps will help you repair the corrupted RAR archive.

Thanks.

Lincoln Dunne, Dec 9, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 9, 2019
  4. Help! (How do you want to open this file) pops-up at the start of the windows. I have...

"open with" and opening of files slow

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Since when are you facing this issue?
    2. Have you made any changes on your computer, prior to this issue?

To fix issues with Word documents opening slowly, I suggest you to attach a different template to the document and check if that helps. Follow the below steps to attach a templates.

Steps:-

1. Open Word application.
    2. Click on File and select Options.
    3. Select Add-Ins from the list.
    4. Under Manage Select Templates and click on
      Go.
    5. In the pop up, type Normal in the Document template.
    6. Click on Ok.

To fix issues with Adobe files opening slowly follow the below troubleshooting steps and check if that helps.

Steps:-

1. Open Adobe application.
    2. Click on Edit.
    3. Select Preferences option.
    4. Tap on General.
    5. Uncheck Enable protected mode at startup.

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Dec 9, 2019
Thema:

Help! (How do you want to open this file) pops-up at the start of the windows. I have...

1. Help! (How do you want to open this file) pops-up at the start of the windows. I have... - Similar Threads - Help open file

2. Pop up "How do you want to open this file?"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Pop up "How do you want to open this file?": Since a few days, whenever I turn on my pc this pop up always come.It says, "How do you want to open this file?" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pop-up-how-do-you-want-to-open-this-file/747ed767-c458-4d29-8fb9-c4e944d0e74e
  3. Pop up "How do you want to open this file?"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pop up "How do you want to open this file?": Since a few days, whenever I turn on my pc this pop up always come.It says, "How do you want to open this file?" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pop-up-how-do-you-want-to-open-this-file/747ed767-c458-4d29-8fb9-c4e944d0e74e
  4. Pop up "How do you want to open this file?"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. The "How do you want to open this file?" pop up pops up every time I restart my laptop and...

The "How do you want to open this file?" pop up pops up every time I restart my laptop and...: My Laptop: Samsung Galaxy Book Flex2 AlphaVersion of Windows: Windows 11 Home https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-how-do-you-want-to-open-this-file-pop-up-pops/4e787132-faec-4c63-9c93-495c5b01c8f4
  6. The "How do you want to open this file?" pop up pops up every time I restart my laptop and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The "How do you want to open this file?" pop up pops up every time I restart my laptop and...: My Laptop: Samsung Galaxy Book Flex2 AlphaVersion of Windows: Windows 11 Home https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-how-do-you-want-to-open-this-file-pop-up-pops/4e787132-faec-4c63-9c93-495c5b01c8f4
  7. how do you want to open this file every start up

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    how do you want to open this file every start up: idk if this was asked before here but just wanna ask how to stop this. the file name is the first name of my username and i saw somewhere that deleting the file in the users folder with the same file name would do. only I am not sure if that would not mess up the whole...
  8. “How do you want to open this file?” I messed up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    “How do you want to open this file?” I messed up: Hey All, Hoping that someone has a fix for me. I was having issues opening a few exe files so followed some online instructions to fix the issue. CMD>registry editor>updated exe default to “% 1” %” The last bit should have been * instead of “ and then I reset my computer....
  9. endlessly battling "how do you want to open this file" pop up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    endlessly battling "how do you want to open this file" pop up: How do you want to open this file????? I don't know because the list of programs that are presented to me have no effect on resolving the issue, I have really no idea what file it is trying to open, i just know that it is completely random in it's coming, and the only way to...
  10. "How do you want to open this file?" keeps popping up despite default!

"How do you want to open this file?" keeps popping up despite default!: As above - I've been using Win 10 x64 for sometime already. Recently, however, I keep encountering this issue. The dialog box pops up and asks me what program I want to use even though I've already set the defaults. It remembers the app once and forgets once I shut down the...