Windows 10: Help - How to get out of hibernation if a batch file is repeating a hibernation command?

Discus and support Help - How to get out of hibernation if a batch file is repeating a hibernation command? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I need some help. I was writing a script to automatically abort shutdowns from Windows Updates. I was intending to use shutdown -a ("a" for abort)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Vlad1mir, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Vlad1mir Win User

Help - How to get out of hibernation if a batch file is repeating a hibernation command?

I need some help.

I was writing a script to automatically abort shutdowns from Windows Updates. I was intending to use shutdown -a ("a" for abort) and set it to repeat every 15 minutes, but I wasn't paying attention. I accidentally put shutdown -h ("h" for hibernation) instead. To make matters worse, I set it to repeat every 15 milliseconds instead of every 15 minutes, so now it keeps going back into hibernation instantaneously as soon as I come out of it.

I tried cutting the power completely including unplugging the cord to hopefully end the Windows session, but when Windows boots up it is still hibernating and the batch file starts executing automatically before I can see the desktop to do anything.

I tried booting from the Windows 10 DVD and clicking to repair the startup, but it said it failed to repair the startup. Not sure if it has to do with the fact the computer is in hibernation mode. What else can I do with the Windows 10 DVD? I feel like the solution may be on there somewhere. There is a command prompt as one of the options, but I'm not sure what I would need to type or if that can even connect to the Windows session on the C drive. Any way to boot into safe mode from this DVD?

I need to somehow close out that Windows session to stop the script but do not know how. It's like I gave myself a computer virus.

I thankfully do have a second computer to work with (the one I am posting this from).

Thanks for any help.

:)

Vlad1mir, Mar 12, 2019

2. About the Hibernate Command in Win10

I updated from 8.1 to 10 Home and cannot hibernate anymore

in 8.1 I created a batch to hibernate with the command "shutdown -h"

now I tried the same but no success.

I opened a command prompt with admin rights an typed: powercfg /hibernate on as suggested on several internet pages to add the hibernate option to the shutdown menu but w/o success.

If I execute shutdown -h from the admin command prompt I get the error message:
    The request is not supported.(50)

I applied the above mentioned Method 1... no help, then Method 2 and the first command returned with No component store corruption detected, even so I ran the second command.

BTW, in my registry the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power reads
    HibernateEnabled REG_DWORD 0x00000001 (1).

Any help here? Is there perhaps another way to workaround this issue and enable hibernation in the registry?

cheers

FAB

FranzBraun, Mar 12, 2019
  3. Missing hibernate button

Hi Yusak,

We would like to isolate this issue that you're having right now. Will you be able to provide the exact error message that you recieved?

We suggest that you try to enable hibernation on your device using the Command Prompt.

To make hibernation available, follow these steps:

• Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
    • In the search results list, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator.
    • When you are prompted by User Account Control, click Continue.
    • At the command prompt, type powercfg.exe /hibernate on, and then press Enter.
    • Type exit, and then press Enter to close the Command Prompt window.

We will wait for your response.

Regards.

Leviozar Gam, Mar 12, 2019
  4. Help - How to get out of hibernation if a batch file is repeating a hibernation command?

hibernating windows 10

Hi Henry,

We appreciate your time and effort to get back to us.

I suggest you to enable the Hibernate option from power settings and check if you are able to access the Hibernate in power options. Follow the below steps.

Please try the steps and check if it helps.

• Press Windows + R keys on the keyboard to open Run command.

• Type powercfg.cpl to open the power settings.

• Click on the Choose what power buttons do on the left navigation pane.

• Click on Change settings that are currently unavailable (Enter the admin credentials if prompted)

• Check the Hibernate box.

• Click on Save changes.

• Restart the computer.

• Check if you are able to see the Hibernate option in power options
    I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Mar 12, 2019
Thema:

Help - How to get out of hibernation if a batch file is repeating a hibernation command?

1. Help - How to get out of hibernation if a batch file is repeating a hibernation command? - Similar Threads - Help hibernation batch

2. Getting out of Hibernation Mode using Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Getting out of Hibernation Mode using Desktop: HelloNormally I use 'Sleep Mode' but have recently turned to using Hibernation Mode because of the Logi Options+ software installed on my Desktop which takes a long time to reactivate when coming out from 'Sleep Mode'. This Logi Options+ software tends to launch in the...
  3. Getting out of Hibernation Mode using Desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Getting out of Hibernation Mode using Desktop: HelloNormally I use 'Sleep Mode' but have recently turned to using Hibernation Mode because of the Logi Options+ software installed on my Desktop which takes a long time to reactivate when coming out from 'Sleep Mode'. This Logi Options+ software tends to launch in the...
  4. Getting out of Hibernation Mode using Desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Batch File Command???

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Batch File Command???: I want to run a batch file that starts a backup program, but does not execute the next command until that program completes? How do I do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/batch-file-command/3af2ce6b-ace3-43cb-b6fb-5cbff8998736
  6. Unable to hibernate from the command line

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to hibernate from the command line: I used to be able hibernate Windows 10 from the command line using a shortcut but for some reason it’s stopped working. The command has always been "shutdown.exe /h /t 0" but the shortcut no longer works. When I copy and paste the same line into a Command Prompt window it...
  7. Windows hibernation help

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows hibernation help: Hi All Since updating to the 20h2 update any time i hibernate it hibernates but when it come out of hibernation there is no application that i left open there and it says on the time on go to resume with that The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This...
  8. The "hibernation" command has disappeared

in Windows 10 Support
    The "hibernation" command has disappeared: Good evening I updated to the latest (Italian) version of W10 (18362.239) and for some time, I don't remember when, that I wasn't using hibernation, today I needed it and I discovered that I miss this command. I made the direct command, as an administrator, "powercfg.exe /...
  9. How to get out of hibernation if batch file repeating hibernation cmd?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to get out of hibernation if batch file repeating hibernation cmd?: Hello, I got myself into a bit of trouble here. *Huh I was writing a script to automatically abort shutdowns from Windows Updates. I was intending to use shutdown -a ("a" for abort) and set it to repeat every 15 minutes, but I wasn't paying attention. *Sleepy I accidentally...
  10. Sleep and hibernate command line

in Windows 10 Support
    Sleep and hibernate command line: How to do them without breaking something? Sleep in my computers are hybrid (desktop) and not hybrid (laptop). Quick boot is off. 94012