Windows 10: Help: how to separate ethernet and wifi in Network & Sharing Center / SecPol

Discus and support Help: how to separate ethernet and wifi in Network & Sharing Center / SecPol in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Both my office and gaming PCs are connected to my router via ethernet. I sometimes simultaneously connect both those PCs to the same router via... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/cpprdt, Nov 14, 2019.

1. /u/cpprdt Win User

Help: how to separate ethernet and wifi in Network & Sharing Center / SecPol

Both my office and gaming PCs are connected to my router via ethernet. I sometimes simultaneously connect both
    those PCs to the same router via wireless as well.

On my office PC, the connections show as two separate networks in Control Panel (Network and Sharing Center) and I can give them two separate names in Local Security Policy (Network List Manager) since there are two separate entries there.

On my gaming PC, the connections are combined in Network and Sharing Center as two access types (ethernet and wifi) under one network, and there is only one entry in Local Security Policy.

(See the attached image depicting the above two situations.)

I would like to make my gaming PC like my office PC since I want the wifi network name to be its SSID and I want the ethernet network name to be something different. I have tried to make all the settings in my gaming PC match my office PC but I can't get the two separate networks.

Any suggestions?

submitted by /u/cpprdt
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/cpprdt, Nov 14, 2019
  2. matake Win User

configure two network type wifi public and Ethernet private

Hello,

I have two network adapters in Windows 10 one wifi for connecting to internet and one Ethernet for local network.
    I need to configure wifi adapter to public network and Ethernet to private network but i can't.

Inverse it work ( wifi to private and Ethernet to public ) but I don't need that.
    (only wifi adapter have option to be discoverable by others pd in Network Settings -> advanced options )

I need to share files by Ethernet AND NOT by wifi.

Any suggestion?

Thank you

matake, Nov 14, 2019
  3. FreDel Win User
    script for sharing wifi via ethernet in Windows10?

I'd like to script a procedure I manually do through windows 10's GUI that shares a computer wlan via ethernet.

Here's the GUI procedure:

1. open "Network and Sharing Center"
    2. click on the Wi-Fi Connection to open "Wi-Fi State" window
    3. click "Properties"
    4. open "Sharing" tab
    5. enable "Allow other network users [...]"
    6. select "Local Area Connection"

I've been reading about netsh but couldn't find a way to share/unshare the wifi connection with this command? Is this only possible?

Any help appreciated!

FreDel, Nov 14, 2019
  4. srdavis Win User

Make Windows 10 connect/disconnect to WiFi based on Ethernet connection status

Steps:

1. Go to Control Panel\ All Control Panel Items\ Network and Sharing Center > click on 'Change adapter settings' then use the 'alt button' to show menus and select Advanced Settings...
    2. Under Connections section, select Ethernet, and use the arrows to the right to move Ethernet above WiFi.
    3. Click OK.

Windows will now prefer the Ethernet over the WiFi for connecting to the internet. This should apply for Windows 8, 8.1, and 10.

srdavis, Nov 14, 2019
Thema:

1. Help: how to separate ethernet and wifi in Network & Sharing Center / SecPol - Similar Threads - Help separate ethernet

2. unable to access network and sharing center

in Windows 10 Customization
    unable to access network and sharing center: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 19045.2251Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4180.0how to resolve this issue? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-access-network-and-sharing-center/235f8ac7-fe87-4727-ad43-bbaa4cd7e684
  3. Network/wifi sharing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network/wifi sharing: I'm trying to share wifi network from a windows 11 laptop to a windows 10 pc but I don't know how I could go about that https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/networkwifi-sharing/21a9c658-b418-4b21-87f2-ed6f2e09f9e8
  4. Network/wifi sharing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network/wifi sharing: I'm trying to share wifi network from a windows 11 laptop to a windows 10 pc but I don't know how I could go about that https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/networkwifi-sharing/21a9c658-b418-4b21-87f2-ed6f2e09f9e8
  5. Network/wifi sharing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Secpol?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Secpol?: In secpol I have activated Interactive logon and changed it and now I can't change it to Not Defined again. Not even as administrator. What to do now? Peter From another Pc: [ATTACH]...
  7. How to set up mixed WiFi & Ethernet sharing on a network?

How to set up mixed WiFi & Ethernet sharing on a network?: I am trying to share files and a printer on a network made up of computers with Ethernet and WiFi connections. Simply turning on network discovery and sharinng does not seem to do job....
  8. Network and Sharing center

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Network and Sharing center: Hi I am not able to open Network and Sharing center, when I click on Network and Sharing center from control panel, control panel freezes. I am stuck with an hour glass, cannot close control panel when clicking on the X, cannot open any other programs in control panel when...
  9. Network Discovery in Network and Sharing Center resets

Network Discovery in Network and Sharing Center resets: Hello. I got a laptop a week ago with Windows 10. This morning when I tried to copy a document from the main PC (Windows 7) via WiFi, an error appeared "Network discovery is turned off. Network computers and devices are not visible. Please turn on network discovery in Network...
  10. Help with Network Sharing via Ethernet

Help with Network Sharing via Ethernet: Hi, I'm having problems with trying to share my Wi-Fi connection to another device via Ethernet. When I plug the cord in it says, "Unidentifiable network" and "no access type" If I run the troubleshooter, it says, "One or more network protocols are missing on this computer"...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. separate ethernet and wifi