Windows 10: Help! How to stop WIndows Performance Recorder?

Discus and support Help! How to stop WIndows Performance Recorder? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Norton Security tech support installed WPR on my Win10 system to try and help track down a problem with their software. At the end of the support... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TPARN, Aug 20, 2019.

1. TPARN Win User

Help! How to stop WIndows Performance Recorder?

Norton Security tech support installed WPR on my Win10 system to try and help track down a problem with their software. At the end of the support session they apparently forgot to turn it off, although they did remove the ADK via Add/Remove Programs. My C drive was completely filling every day (almost 300GB of a 465GB disk). I didn't know what was going on the first few days but discovered a reboot would give me back my free space. Finally discovered the huge WPR files and contacted Norton to get them to turn it off. (Never call Norton for support - they don't have any) The tech deleted the WPR.exe file. That stopped my disk from filling up on a daily basis but it turned out that something was sill eating my free space, just more slowly. Again using File Explorer to search for large files I discovered WPR logs were still being created. I searched for WPR.exe - even though I saw the tech delete it - and found there was still a copy - or else a new copy had magically appeared - somewhere under the Windows folder. I deleted that WPR.exe file but I'm still getting WPR logs created on the slower basis. Searched for WPR.exe again but got no results. I have no idea how to stop these WPR logs from being created. Downloaded the ADK and installed WPR on the hope that it would give me some option to turn off whatever is driving these logs but running WPRUI.exe only gives me the option to start logging. Looking for any advice on stopping whatever is creating these logs. Before the original Norton "support" session where they installed WPR, my disk utilization was stable and I could run Windows for however long I wanted (weeks) without a reboot unless some Windows update required it. Now I'm forced to reboot every couple of days due to the slow filling up of the disk.

Just now I told WPR to start a recording in the hope that it might reset whatever has been creating these large WPR files. Stopped it after a few seconds. I have 2 new folders in my Documents folder - WPA and WPR. WPR contains a relatively small file named WINDOWS4K.08-20-219.18-49-21.etl. (WINDOWS4K is my PC name) The large WPR file that has been eating up my disk is named WPR_initiated_WPR Event Collector.etl and is located under my User directory in AppData/Local/Temp. It is currently 84GB. It has an accompanying 1GB file named WPR_initiated_WPR OnOff Event Collector.etl.

I have no idea how to get rid of these large logs and no idea how they are being created since WPR.exe hasn't been on my system - at least that I can find - for days. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

:)

TPARN, Aug 20, 2019
  2. Ryan Fra Win User

Can not record audio.

Hi,

We suggest that you run troubleshooting for Audio Recording by following these steps:

• Type troubleshooting on the search box.
    • Click View all.
    • Select Recording Audio.
    • Follow the steps to troubleshoot Recording Audio.

Let us know if you need further help.

Ryan Fra, Aug 20, 2019
  3. How to record a window build

Help
    I have been tasked to build a window's image for our work, but I was trying to find something to keep a record on how to keep all the steps on the build. any one got a suggestion in what to use.

many thanks

*Biggrin

MacScottie62, Aug 20, 2019
  4. weybrew Win User

weybrew, Aug 20, 2019
Thema:

1. Help! How to stop WIndows Performance Recorder? - Similar Threads - Help stop Performance

2. windows performance recorder wont start recording

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows performance recorder wont start recording: it gives me an error saying "the requested resource is in use. Profile id: GeneralProfile.Verbose.Memory. error code: 0x800700aa the requested resource is in use."...
  3. windows performance recorder wont start recording

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows performance recorder wont start recording: it gives me an error saying "the requested resource is in use. Profile id: GeneralProfile.Verbose.Memory. error code: 0x800700aa the requested resource is in use."...
  4. How to create custom scenario for Windows Performance Recorder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to create custom scenario for Windows Performance Recorder?: I have this intermittent problem with resuming hibernated PC Windows 11 Pro. The machine resume takes 4 minutes if I hit the problem. Normal wakeup/resume/boot takes 20-40secI tried to catch it with WPA but it doesnt work for me. The WPR put the machine to hibernate and then...
  5. Windows Gamebar Record Stop Help Need

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Gamebar Record Stop Help Need: Hi, I want to record my screen with Windows Gamebar Record it works well. but when I minimize/close the browser or apps the Gamebar Record Stop automatically.when I open it again it shows...
  6. windows performance recorder

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows performance recorder: how do i record the high dpc latency from the windows performance recorder.I am encountering audio cracking/popping accompanied with fps drops in games. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-performance-recorder/c08a00b7-dbb9-40a3-95db-761185420741
  7. Windows Performance Recorder and Analyzer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Performance Recorder and Analyzer: I'm trying to figure out why one of my computers is snappier than the other when they both have virtually identical hardware. These two Windows performance tools seem like a good way to go, but they present the user with a daunting quantity of data. I'm starting with...
  8. Wndows Performance Recorder ?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Wndows Performance Recorder ?: I noticed something strange in what windows is now recording. This seems to of started right after 1903 18362.175. I have on 3 different system, several WPR files that reside in the Windows->Log subdirectory. Does anybody know anything about 1903 activating WPR or using the...
  9. Windows Performance Recorder

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Performance Recorder: Windows 10 with latest updates. Trying to install Windows Performance Recorder from the SDK toolkit. First the install failed because .NET 4.6.3 was not installed so installed 4.6.2 was all I could find. Now the install is failing. Log file says Failed to verify hash of...
  10. Windows performance recorder will not install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows performance recorder will not install: When trying to install the Windows performance recorder from the sdk for windows 10, once I get to the windows kits privacy page and click next, nothing happens, or rather, the whole install box disappears. I'm running it as admin. It;s from here; Windows performance recorder...