Windows 10: Help! I can't remember how to find IP addresses of devices on network

Discus and support Help! I can't remember how to find IP addresses of devices on network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm very embarrassed because of this. Can anyone guide me, please? BTW router in use is Billion 8800NL v1. 104972 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by chipwood, Feb 24, 2018.

1. chipwood Win User

Help! I can't remember how to find IP addresses of devices on network

I'm very embarrassed because of this. Can anyone guide me, please?
    BTW router in use is Billion 8800NL v1.

:)

chipwood, Feb 24, 2018
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Port Acceribilities

With all due respect, I suggest you ask your questions to the person or organization who sold the Security DVR to you. IP addresses are not assigned to devices out of the box - they are assigned by your router.

Most normal people don't know what DHCP is and would fall asleep from boredom if they tried to find out. Here is a very quick explanation:

Just like every house on a street needs an address, every device on a network needs an address. That's how you find the house on the street and how software finds devices on a network. Buildings get their address from the local government; devices on a network
    get their IP addresses from your router. Your router hands out IP addresses in one of two ways:

1- It's got barrel-full of addresses waiting to be assigned. Whenever a new device joins the network, your router reaches into the barrel, pulls out an address and says "here - take this one." When the device leaves the network, it returns the address to
    the router. The next time the device joins the network, the router goes back into the barrel and pulls out another IP address that may be the same or different from the address the device got the first time. Got it? That's called
    DHCP. The beautiful thing about DHCP is that even if you know jack about networking, your devices will get an IP address and any software that needs to work with your device will be able to do so.

2- The other way is for you to assign a permanent IP address to your device. You do this by going into your router's management console and manually assigning an available IP address to your device. Of course, you have to know how to do this. Otherwise you
    can make a mess of your network. Don't ask how I learned that. Anyway, an IP address that doesn't change is called a
    static address. The beautiful thing about a static address is that any software that has to locate your device on the network already knows its address; otherwise it has to ask the router "what's the address of this device I'm looking for?" Now the
    software has to wait until the router puts down its beer, gets up out of its chair and goes to look. While all this is going on, your software and your device can't communicate with each other, which is not good, especially for a security camera.

Here is my guess for your situation: The software for your security device is pre-programmed with a specific IP address for the security device, and the vendor wants
    you to go into your router's management console and assign that static IP address to your device. Like you know.

It's not that hard, actually. It's like kissing a girl - a big mystery until you do it for the first time. Then you say "oh - so that's how it's done." This is the part where you ask your vendor for help. They've probably done the drill 10,000 times already.

P.S. Don't confuse an IP address with a MAC address. That's different. You're dealing with an IP address.

BulldogXX, Feb 24, 2018
  3. Lost0406 Win User
    Sender's IP address on touch screen

Like every one I use a touch screen. Ip addresses can't be found using such a screen so how do I find an ip address ? Especially since the only devices that I own are android.

Lost0406, Feb 24, 2018
  4. Barman58 Win User

Do you have admin access to the router - If so there should be a page that shows the IP addresses that the DHCP, ( Dynamic Host Control Protocol, a part of the router), server has allocated to the devices on the network

This will usually be decipherable as it will show the Computer names against the IP, but sometimes you will need to take the MAC address given and associate this with the hardware

If you open CMD window on a windows device - and Enter ipconfig /all this will provide a long list of network info including the IP address - other items that have IP addresses these days - Phones, TV's, Heating systems ETc have their own way of setting and finding IP addresses, MAC addresses and other data

If you wish you can get free tools to do all this for you

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=fr...hrome&ie=UTF-8 is a list that you can try to find the one you like best

Barman58, Feb 24, 2018
  5. chipwood Win User
    Thank you!
    I found the DHCP page in the router, but that shows is the computer and my wife's IPad. The router does seem not to exist. *Confused

chipwood, Feb 24, 2018
  6. Barman58 Win User
    There should also be a page that allows you to display the settings of the WAN - on my TP-Link it's a page called Status

You cannot set the external IP address, this is set by your service provider, but it should be shown somewhere in the router

Barman58, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Help! I can't remember how to find IP addresses of devices on network - Similar Threads - Help can't remember

2. I want to know IP address of my PC so how to find IP address?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I want to know IP address of my PC so how to find IP address?: I want to know IP address of my PC so how to find IP address ?thanks in advance https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-to-know-ip-address-of-my-pc-so-how-to-find/8305236f-7abe-4ced-99eb-98d2988b1ff8
  3. I want to know IP address of my PC so how to find IP address?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I want to know IP address of my PC so how to find IP address?: I want to know IP address of my PC so how to find IP address ?thanks in advance https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-to-know-ip-address-of-my-pc-so-how-to-find/8305236f-7abe-4ced-99eb-98d2988b1ff8
  4. I want to know IP address of my PC so how to find IP address?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. How to find the actual IP addresses.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to find the actual IP addresses.: Hi,I have been observing that there are suspicious network connections established with the following Microsoft domains from werfault.exe. These results have been generated from the EDR. umwatson.events.data.microsoft.com, kmwatson.events.data.microsoft.com :-...
  6. How to find the actual IP addresses.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to find the actual IP addresses.: Hi,I have been observing that there are suspicious network connections established with the following Microsoft domains from werfault.exe. These results have been generated from the EDR. umwatson.events.data.microsoft.com, kmwatson.events.data.microsoft.com :-...
  7. How to find the actual IP addresses.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  8. How Do I Find The Device I am Sharing An IP Address With?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How Do I Find The Device I am Sharing An IP Address With?: All the time my computer feels like someone is in the background typing or doing something to the software that I'm working with. Literally , as if they just re wrote a program for this time that I am using it. Then a minute later I will be allowed. That is just one of...
  9. How can I find a printer's IP address?

How can I find a printer's IP address?: How can I find a printer's IP address in Windows 10? I sometimes need to access a Windows 10 PC with TeamViewer remote software. I sometimes can't find the printer's IP address, it doesn't appear under Control Panel > right click on Printer > Properties > Web Services tab...
  10. How do I find my IP address?

How do I find my IP address?: I'm considering getting a VPN https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-find-my-ip-address/10492a2b-ab51-4ee8-8b4a-fde47545e59d

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant remember static ip address how to find