Windows 10: Help i can't use any Windows apps anymore because changing ownership/permission

Discus and support Help i can't use any Windows apps anymore because changing ownership/permission in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Recently I changed the ownership folder "Windowsapps" to me, now I want to change the ownership to the default but when I change it I can't open some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Faiz Alrazi Hidayat, Mar 27, 2021.

1. Help i can't use any Windows apps anymore because changing ownership/permission

Recently I changed the ownership folder "Windowsapps" to me, now I want to change the ownership to the default but when I change it I can't open some windows apps, some can open, some can't be opened, and some even get an error notification When I want to open it, I've been looking for a lot of online solutions to reset the ACL "Windowsapps" folder but the results are still the same, I still can't open windows apps, I've tried methods, namely icacls, cacls, and others but the results are still the same, PLEASE HELP!

:)

Faiz Alrazi Hidayat, Mar 27, 2021
  2. Scooze__ Win User

File Ownership, and Permissions

So, I've thoroughly messed up some files on my pc somehow, as I have what appears to be "Full Control" and "Ownership" of the files.

The problem however is that even though these things seem to be true, I'm still met with a message suggesting I need permission from a user that technically doesn't exist anymore. These are Windows.old files after I performed a recovery of the system.
    They are taking up a massive chunk of my OS drive, and I want that space.

I've done everything I know to do to take ownership, and subsequently add all the permissions to the files that I need. Beyond that I removed every other credential so that my primary account (which is also an administrator) would be the only one with full
    control of the files (System, admins as a group, and the account itself all have "Full Control" listed.)

Does anyone know why these ghost permissions are still in effect, and how I could remove it? This account it's saying I need permission from is NOT listed on any of it's permissions. Besides, the account literally doesn't exist anymore.

Help?

Scooze__, Mar 27, 2021
  3. Kursah Win User
    i need help copying and pasting inside windows 10 app folders and subfolders

• Can you give us the specific locations you are copying from and to?
    • Can you take screenshots of what's going on?
    • Can you take screenshots of the ownership of the directory you're experiencing issues with?
    If you're not comfortable sharing that information, I do understand...but I feel like what was suggested before should've resolved it. Have you tried modifying ownership at the hard drive level? Did you log off/log on or reboot after changing ownership permissions?

Possibly check Event Viewer security and system logs as well, might be something else...but likely you are getting closer to resolving this just don't have all the permissions adjusted accordingly. But maybe more specific details about your issue, where things are located that you're having issues with, etc. will assist us better in telling you what needs to be done to accomplish what you're seeking to resolve.

*Toast :toast:

Kursah, Mar 27, 2021
  4. Help i can't use any Windows apps anymore because changing ownership/permission

Permission/Ownership Issues WindowsApps Folders...

I have been tearing what little hair I have left out of my head trying to copy a file from my desktop to the appropriate folder in the Kodi folder buried in the XBMC… folder in Windowsapps in a brand-new fairly high-end laptop running Windows 10 Pro. I cannot get beyond first what appears to be a UAC “Destination Folder Access Denied” error message saying “You’ll need to provide administrative permission to copy to this folder.” If I click on the UAC “continue” button I get another “Destination Folder Access Denied” error box saying “You need permission to perform this action.” The second error box has only “Try Again” and “Cancel” buttons. Nothing is listed under “More details” in either error box.

Here is most of what I have tried:

1. changing ownership of Windowsapps and all folders below it to my Microsoft account user and granting full-control permissions to Windowsapps and all folders below it;
    2. changing ownership to administrators group for Windowsapps and all folders below it and granting full-control permissions to Windowsapps and all folders below it;
    3. enabling the “hidden” administrator account, going back to my Microsoft user account and granting full-control rights to the administrator account, returning to the administrator account, taking control with that account, granting full control permission to Windowsapps and all folders below it;
    4. creating a new administrator account and repeating 3;
    5. completely disabling UAC through the registry, once in the default administrator account and once in my Microsoft account user.
    6. adding and using the “Take Ownership” context option on a Windowsapps folder as described in the Tutorial at Add Take Ownership to Context Menu in Windows 10 ; and
    7. running the following commands in an administrator command window:

Code:
    as suggested at: Permission/Ownership Issues WindowsApps Folders... - Windows 10 Forums
    In fact, even if I do an explicit copy from an administrator command window, I get an “access is denied” notice.

None of the many sources I have looked at online are of any help in dealing with this blockage. Please help — not only do I need to get full-control access to Windowsapps and its subfolders for this purpose, I also need to get full-control permission to Windowsapps folders in order to get rid of an annoying McAffee startup.exe which pops an error box on every boot up even though I removed McAffee in the normal way.

How can I get assured access to Windowsapps folders???

jedpaquette, Mar 27, 2021
Thema:

Help i can't use any Windows apps anymore because changing ownership/permission

1. Help i can't use any Windows apps anymore because changing ownership/permission - Similar Threads - Help can't apps

2. I can't change file ownership

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't change file ownership: Whenever I try to change file ownership for a file it doesn't let me. Changing permissions is also not possible.What I would like to do is change the file permissions, but whenever i do it asks me to provide administrator permission, even though i am the administrator and all...
  3. I can't change file ownership

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't change file ownership: Whenever I try to change file ownership for a file it doesn't let me. Changing permissions is also not possible.What I would like to do is change the file permissions, but whenever i do it asks me to provide administrator permission, even though i am the administrator and all...
  4. I can't change file ownership

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. I can't use my Laptop anymore because of a virus

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I can't use my Laptop anymore because of a virus: Hey!So I had this problem for last 2 weeks. I accidently downloaded a drive program, which probably had a virus embedded. After I 'upgraded' ,y drivers, it actually disabled many of them. I can't connect to the Internet, adjust my screen brightness or use the touch and...
  6. Can't launch game because I can't change permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't launch game because I can't change permissions: I downloaded a new game recently but it won't launch and it seems like its a permissions issue. However, all permissions options are grayed out and it is not inheriting permissions from the parent folder either so that shouldn't be the issue. That option is greyed out too...
  7. Can't launch game because I can't change permissions

Can't launch game because I can't change permissions: I downloaded a new game recently but it won't launch and it seems like its a permissions issue. However, all permissions options are grayed out and it is not inheriting permissions from the parent folder either so that shouldn't be the issue. That option is greyed out too...
  8. Need help resolving permission and ownership issues

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Need help resolving permission and ownership issues: Hi, I created a topic on this but the person helping me has stopped responding and no one has gotten back to me. I really need help with this as it is preventing me from being able to do things that I need with my stystem. Original topic...
  9. I don't have any permissions and I can't change that.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I don't have any permissions and I can't change that.: Okay so I'm 16, hardly know anything about software. I've been trying to increase my dedicated video ram. I've found a method from YouTube on how to do it but when I open 'registry editor' and try to add a new key under 'intel' it says I don't have permissions to do that. I...
  10. Can't change "Default apps" anymore!

Can't change "Default apps" anymore!: Since a time ago I can't change the default apps from Start > Settings > System > Default apps [img] Is there a fix for this bug? 46507