Windows 10: Help... I got a new hard drive and now my 3rd drive thinks it’s the 2nd and that it’s...

Discus and support Help... I got a new hard drive and now my 3rd drive thinks it’s the 2nd and that it’s... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] submitted by /u/TreyDogg72 [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/TreyDogg72, May 27, 2020.

1. Help... I got a new hard drive and now my 3rd drive thinks it’s the 2nd and that it’s...

/u/TreyDogg72, May 27, 2020

2. 2nd and 3rd hard drives show two drive Letters

Hi Bill

My name is Andre Da Costa; an Independent Consultant, Windows Insider MVP and Windows & Devices for IT MVP. I'm here to help you with your problem.

Did you go through these steps to assign the drive letters you prefer?

Press Windows key + X

Click Disk Management

If you see your drive listed there, but no drive letter, right click it

Click Change Drive Letter and Paths

Click Add

Click Assign the following drive letter

Click in the Drive letter list box

Choose a drive letter - try choosing letters near the end of the alphabet

Click OK

Click OK again

Andre for Directly, May 27, 2020
  3. 2nd and 3rd hard drives show two drive Letters

Hello Andre: I followed the instructions carefully and this is what this process amounted to. I followed this step by step.

Press Windows key + X - Worked fine

Click Disk Management - Worked fine

If you see your drive listed there, but no drive letter, right click it -
    All my drives showed up with there drive letters. When I clicked on the drive - Local Disk (D) (IHelp... I got a new hard drive and now my 3rd drive thinks it’s the 2nd and that it’s... :). The panel came up " change drive letter and path.

Click Change Drive Letter and Paths - for local disk (D)" and in the panel it said "Allow access to this volume by using the following drive letter and paths". In
    the panel that shows up it shows a drive icon and the letter I: . Below this are the options to ADD, CHANGE and REMOVE.

Click Add - When I click the ADD button a new panel comes up and the only option allowed is "Mount in the following empty NTFS folder". When I enter the letter D:
    ( the drive letter I'm trying to get too) and click on the OK button it opens a new panel comes up and tells me "The device is not ready".

Click Assign the following drive letter - I then go back a few panels and select CHANGE, this time the same panel opens up but this time the other option is locked
    in as my only choice - "Assign the following drive letter". I enter D: again and in the pull down menu the letter D is not available for me to choose.

Click in the Drive letter list box - Then I go back to the previous panel and select REMOVE, now the new panel tells me "Some of the programs you rely on drive letters
    might not respond correctly. Are you sure you want to remove this drive letter. I did not proceed as I've done this before and it does remove the drive letter I: but the in Disk Management the now D: dive is no longer accessible.

So now I have explored all three options that were presented when I right clicked on the "Click Change Drive Letter and Paths" In the end I was not able to remove the drive letters I and J from disk management

Thanks very much for the assistance, do you have any other suggestions I can use to correct this issue? I thought I might try deleting the D letter leaving the drive letter I, then going back in and try changing that
    drive letter back to D done in two separate steps??? Bill

billmasonismad, May 27, 2020
  4. Help... I got a new hard drive and now my 3rd drive thinks it’s the 2nd and that it’s...

2nd and 3rd hard drives show two drive Letters

I recently was required to reinstall Windows 10 after I installed a new SSD as my C: drive. Now, I've got everything up and running I noted the drive letters that were assigned to my second and third hard drives were different than what I use to have and
    not the drive letters I preferred. I followed the instructions to change the drive letter and they did not change but rather it added the new drive letter I assigned to the old drive letter. Below, is what File Explorer shows me now. I noted that the I
    and J are shown with a colon but D and E do not.

Local Disk (CHelp... I got a new hard drive and now my 3rd drive thinks it’s the 2nd and that it’s... :)

Local Disk (D) (IHelp... I got a new hard drive and now my 3rd drive thinks it’s the 2nd and that it’s... :)

Local Disk (E) (JHelp... I got a new hard drive and now my 3rd drive thinks it’s the 2nd and that it’s... :)

I then went back into Device Manager and chose to "change the drive letter" again but the next window allowed me to remove the extra drive letter so I removed it (JHelp... I got a new hard drive and now my 3rd drive thinks it’s the 2nd and that it’s... :) and found that disk no longer appeared in File Explorer at all and became inaccessible.
    The drive does continue to show up in Device Manager and Disk Management and continues to show both drive letters.

I have spent several days researching this problem, trying many suggestions listed on Help web pages and nothing has been successful.

billmasonismad, May 27, 2020
Thema:

Help... I got a new hard drive and now my 3rd drive thinks it’s the 2nd and that it’s...

1. Help... I got a new hard drive and now my 3rd drive thinks it’s the 2nd and that it’s... - Similar Threads - Help got hard

2. I think i accidently wiped my hard drive. help!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I think i accidently wiped my hard drive. help!: I was trying to perform a dual boot. I was on the ubuntu disk manager and i was trying to figure out where I had installed pear OS previously. then i accidentally clicked on the new partition table button and it cleared up the drive. realizing the mistake I've done, i...
  3. I think i accidently wiped my hard drive. help!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I think i accidently wiped my hard drive. help!: I was trying to perform a dual boot. I was on the ubuntu disk manager and i was trying to figure out where I had installed pear OS previously. then i accidentally clicked on the new partition table button and it cleared up the drive. realizing the mistake I've done, i...
  4. New hard drive, what now?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New hard drive, what now?: How do I install Windows 10 onto a new hard drive I got? My last one died so I bought a new one. Do I really need to buy a copy of Windows 10 for like $120 or is there an easier way?? I've heard of the Windows 7/Windows 8 free update but I don't know how to get those...
  5. Help! 2nd hard drive problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help! 2nd hard drive problem: When my pc was still windows 7 my 2nd hard drive and its partition titled "my shit" was fully accessible and its where i safely kept my personal photos and videos from the last 15 years. My PC forcably swapped to windows 10 and my unobservent ass didn't even notice "my shit"...
  6. I think my windows/hard drive is corrupt

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I think my windows/hard drive is corrupt: There are many things wrong with my computer, notably I can cannot system reset my computer, configure my new ssd, and check properties for pretty much anything. I have windows 10....
  7. 2nd and 3rd hard drives show two drive Letters

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    2nd and 3rd hard drives show two drive Letters: I recently was required to reinstall Windows 10 after I installed a new SSD as my C: drive. Now, I've got everything up and running I noted the drive letters that were assigned to my second and third hard drives were different than what I use to have and not the drive...
  8. 2nd and 3rd Hard Drive. Both show 2 drive letters

2nd and 3rd Hard Drive. Both show 2 drive letters: I recently was required to reinstall Windows 10 after I installed a new SSD as my C: drive. Now, I've got everything up and running I noted the drive letters that were assigned to my second and third hard drives were different than what I use to have and not the drive...
  9. Can't rename my hard drives i think?

Can't rename my hard drives i think?: Yea this is strange i tried renaming my 500 GB SSD i just popped in, i have total ownership administrator rights, BUT when i right click select properties type in new name Documents "msgbox you need permissions bla bla" press ok, BUT NO NAME CHANGE. hmm i tried my other hard...
  10. I don't think my new hard drive is configured correctly

I don't think my new hard drive is configured correctly: I installed a new 1TB HDD, 7200rpm in my laptop. I upgraded to Windows 10 in December. Looking in Disk Management I only have a Disk 0 with what appears to be 4 partitions. the first one is 1.46GB labeled Healthy (Active, Recovery Partition)but under Capacity has 1.45GB &...