Windows 10: Help: Issue Trying To Change Default Installation Drive

Discus and support Help: Issue Trying To Change Default Installation Drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recently upgraded my PC, adding a new motherboard and CPU. I had to reinstall Windows but chose to keep my files since I had A LOT of personal files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Angelus13AOV, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Help: Issue Trying To Change Default Installation Drive

I recently upgraded my PC, adding a new motherboard and CPU. I had to reinstall Windows but chose to keep my files since I had A LOT of personal files music, movies, pictures that I didn't want to lose. Right now I'm trying to install games on the Xbox App but I'm having a problem.

When I attempt to install a game, let's say Forza for example, it wants to install it to the C drive, which is my SSD where Windows is installed. I don't want it there. I want it installed on my D drive, which is my HDD where I have all my games installed. When I try to change the installation to the D drive the Xbox App says "This location isn't set up for installing games. Set it as your location for where new apps are saved."

So I go into Settings and where it says "New apps will save to:" I attempt change it from the C drive to the D drive. I then get a message saying "Delete other apps? This drive has apps from another device. To use this drive, the other apps must first be deleted. Do you want to continue?" Now of course, I don't fully know what apps it's referring to or what it wants to do delete. I would imagine it has to do with the fact that before I changed motherboards the Xbox games were being installed on the D drive and those files might still be there. When I click Yes I then get a message saying "We couldn't set your default save location. The operation did not complete successfully. Try again in a bit. The error code is 0x800700003, in case you need it."

I tried researching this problem for a week, attempting to find answers through various means with no luck. I'm wondering if the WindowsApps folder is a part of the issue. I didn't have permission to view the folder but I resolved that by changing permissions. Inside the folder I can see other folders that correspond to different games and DLCs from the Windows Store such as DLC for Gears Of War among other things. However, when I tried to delete those folders I was unsuccessful. I'm at a loss on what to do and how to resolve this issue. Can anyone please advise?

:)

Angelus13AOV, Jul 24, 2020
  2. little cat, Jul 27, 2020
  3. Jerry8A Win User
    Optical Drive Issue

Hello Anak –

Appreciate your detailed return. Your added steps really helped.

Assuming I did the steps correctly, this is where I am now.

Screenshot 12 shows my CD Disc shortcut on my desktop.
    Screenshot 10 shows the CD Drive shortcut listed in the “Send to” listing.
    Screenshot 11 shows the “Send to” listing after the steps were taken, but the CD drive name is not listed.

So, it appears the steps did not work for me. And, I did try the steps, “If it still won’t do ……” and still no luck.

What do you think?

JerryA

Help: Issue Trying To Change Default Installation Drive [​IMG]

Jerry8A, Jul 27, 2020
  4. Help: Issue Trying To Change Default Installation Drive

Help: Issue Trying To Change Default Installation Drive

I recently upgraded my PC, adding a new motherboard and CPU. I had to reinstall Windows but chose to keep my files since I had A LOT of personal files (music, movies, pictures) that I didn't want to lose. Right now I'm trying to install games on the Xbox
    App but I'm having a problem.

When I attempt to install a game, let's say Forza for example, it wants to install it to the C drive, which is my SSD where Windows is installed. I don't want it there. I want it installed on my D drive, which is my HDD where I have all my games installed.
    When I try to change the installation to the D drive the Xbox App says "This location isn't set up for installing games. Set it as your location for where new apps are saved."

So I go into Settings and where it says "New apps will save to:" I attempt change it from the C drive to the D drive. I then get a message saying "Delete other apps? This drive has apps from another device. To use this drive, the other apps must first be
    deleted. Do you want to continue?" Now of course, I don't fully know what apps it's referring to or what it wants to delete. I would imagine it has to do with the fact that before I changed motherboards the Xbox games were being installed on the D drive and
    those files might still be there. When I click Yes I then get a message saying "We couldn't set your default save location. The operation did not complete successfully. Try again in a bit. The error code is 0x800700003, in case you need it."

I tried researching this problem for a week, attempting to find answers through various means with no luck. I'm wondering if the WindowsApps folder is a part of the issue. I didn't have permission to view the folder but I resolved that by changing permissions.
    Inside the folder I can see other folders that correspond to different games and DLCs from the Windows Store such as DLC for Gears Of War among other things. However, when I tried to delete those folders I was unsuccessful. I'm at a loss on what to do and
    how to resolve this issue. Can anyone please advise?

Angelus13AOV, Jul 27, 2020
Thema:

Help: Issue Trying To Change Default Installation Drive

1. Help: Issue Trying To Change Default Installation Drive - Similar Threads - Help Issue Trying

2. Change Default One Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change Default One Drive: Hi!I have a personal and business one drive on my laptop. Currently it is using my personal one drive as default one. How can I change it to business one drive?ThanksGaurav...
  3. Changed Downloads folder to the entire D drive, tried changing back to default but...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changed Downloads folder to the entire D drive, tried changing back to default but...: Basically tried to change my downloads folder from my c drive to d drive, but accidentally made my whole d drive the downloads folder. Tried many different methods found online ie changing registry, restore to default, and still did not work. When I tried to restore to...
  4. Changed Downloads folder to the entire D drive, tried changing back to default but...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changed Downloads folder to the entire D drive, tried changing back to default but...: Basically tried to change my downloads folder from my c drive to d drive, but accidentally made my whole d drive the downloads folder. Tried many different methods found online ie changing registry, restore to default, and still did not work. When I tried to restore to...
  5. Changed Downloads folder to the entire D drive, tried changing back to default but...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. Is changing the Default Installation Drive a bad practice?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is changing the Default Installation Drive a bad practice?: I did it via regedit with these instructions. But now some of my apps' shortcuts in the Start up menu are no longer working. It's no big deal, I just removed them from the Start up menu, found their respective executable files, and put them in the taskbar instead. It's not...
  7. Cannot Change Default App Install Drive

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Cannot Change Default App Install Drive: I had some Microsoft Store/Xbox games installed onto my D: drive, however I ended up having to reinstall Windows on my C: drive. Now the games do not show up under the MS Store or the Xbox App. Using WinDirStat I was able to see however that they were still installed and...
  8. Changing default installation drives, error 0x80070005

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing default installation drives, error 0x80070005: Hello! So I am trying to change the default installation drive C: to D:, but it always gives me an error 0x8007005 and I do not know what to do. It does not change only on the "New apps will be installed here..", but the rest works and changes. Same with apps, if I try to...
  9. The default installation drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    The default installation drive?: How do I change the default installation drive when installing a program? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-default-installation-drive/8cf3bcb9-cb51-48c7-abb0-15dfa6d27b88
  10. Changing Default drive to D

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Changing Default drive to D: I am trying to get a game loaded from CD and it does not give me the option to load it to D drive. How can I make sure any CD games etc will automatically load to D Drive? Is there a setting somewhere?...