Windows 10: Help! Latest Windows Update has made my Windows 8.1 system un-bootable

Discus and support Help! Latest Windows Update has made my Windows 8.1 system un-bootable in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Yesterday May 14, 2022 when I started up my Windows 8.1 system, I was notified that updates were available, so I went ahead and installed them via... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by BobLeviton, May 15, 2022.

1. Help! Latest Windows Update has made my Windows 8.1 system un-bootable

Yesterday May 14, 2022 when I started up my Windows 8.1 system, I was notified that updates were available, so I went ahead and installed them via Windows Update as I've done many times before. But this time Windows hung while loading after the requisite restart. I waited three hours with nothing but a black screen, except for network connection icon in the lower left corner and the language "en-US" in the lower right corner, which both appeared briefly every few seconds. Finally did a hard shutdown, and any subsequent attempted restarts have resulted in the same. Further info: Two years a

:)

BobLeviton, May 15, 2022

2. Windows 8 failure configuring updates and reverting

I agree 8 is awful! It's not for me though... I replaced a broken screen in a Win 8 laptop that was given to me and I am going to give it for free to someone that can't afford one so they can do homework at home. Yes I took it from 8 to 8.1 back on 10/09/2014. This is what I posted there...

"Great post! I found a similar one. I would like to point out that you may want to edit your OP...

1. Step 1 should read to disable AUTOMATIC updates, not disable manual updates.

2. KB2871398 should really read KB2871389

I would like to say that KB2917499 may also be needed as it was in my case. I also had to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter after installing those 2 updates. After these steps I was able to begin my 8.1 download from the Microsoft store. I don't know if it made a difference or not, but I also went into the Bios and disabled "Secure Boot."

It was a helpful post. Thanks!

BlackHawk1, May 15, 2022
  3. Drone Win User
    Windows 8 Clubhouse

^ there's no start menu in windows 8.1 update 1

Nice 8.1u1 hands on from TechRadar

Drone, May 15, 2022
  4. btarunr Win User

Help! Latest Windows Update has made my Windows 8.1 system un-bootable

NVIDIA Adds Windows 8 to GeForce Driver Update Stack

AMD may have been the first to be out with drivers for its Radeon GPUs that are optimized for Windows 8 (WDDM 1.2), but NVIDIA went a step ahead of "special-releases" for its GeForce drivers, and added Windows 8 to its update stack, meaning that Windows 8 will feature in the list of operating systems to pick from, to download drivers. NVIDIA will constantly update these drivers along with mainline releases for Windows 7/Vista and XP. The latest such driver is 296.17. This driver supports GeForce and Quadro GPUs, and according to NVIDIA, is a quick-update over 295.73 WHQL, with the addition of performance optimization for Blacklight: Retribution.

Help! Latest Windows Update has made my Windows 8.1 system un-bootable 152a_thm.jpg

Source: VR-Zone

btarunr, May 15, 2022
Thema:

Help! Latest Windows Update has made my Windows 8.1 system un-bootable

1. Help! Latest Windows Update has made my Windows 8.1 system un-bootable - Similar Threads - Help Latest Update

2. Latest OneDrive Update has Made Computer Crash

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Latest OneDrive Update has Made Computer Crash: Hi there. Last week Microsoft sent out a OneDrive update. After installing the OneDrive update, the computer would open file explorer for about 1 second and then close it in a loop. This was causing the computer screen to flash on and off. When the computer is now powered on,...
  3. Latest OneDrive Update has Made Computer Crash

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Latest OneDrive Update has Made Computer Crash: Hi there. Last week Microsoft sent out a OneDrive update. After installing the OneDrive update, the computer would open file explorer for about 1 second and then close it in a loop. This was causing the computer screen to flash on and off. When the computer is now powered on,...
  4. Help! Latest Windows Update has made my Windows 8.1 system un-bootable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help! Latest Windows Update has made my Windows 8.1 system un-bootable: Yesterday May 14, 2022 when I started up my Windows 8.1 system, I was notified that updates were available, so I went ahead and installed them via Windows Update as I've done many times before. But this time Windows hung while loading after the requisite restart. I waited...
  5. No bootable device after latest Windows update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No bootable device after latest Windows update: Hi I have an Acer Aspire 3 A314 after doing a windows update last night, I turned it on this morning and says no boot device, went into settings & no HD showing, booted a USB to reinstall but no HD to boot to, is this an issue with the update or has the HD failed, the laptop...
  6. Latest update has made laptop unusable

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Latest update has made laptop unusable: Just done the latest update on my laptop and it’s made it so slow. The internet crashes after 2 minutes of being on it, the icons won’t load on the desktop, the settings won’t even load so I can’t do anything about it. Is there anything else I can do? submitted by...
  7. I made my computer un bootable

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I made my computer un bootable: So a few weeks back I purchased some memory and upgraded my PC to 196GB of RAM. The bios recognized the memory but windows only saw 120GB. I tried moving the DDR3 around rebooting. I eventually came to a thread that doomed me. So the thread basically had me go into msconfig...
  8. Latest Windows 10 update has enlarged my desktop - HELP!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Latest Windows 10 update has enlarged my desktop - HELP!: Latest update has made my desktop wallpaper larger than my monitor, so that files saved to desktop are essentially "tucked beyond" the margins of my monitor. If I open a program or webpage to full screen, I cannot access the buttons at top right to minimize the window either...
  9. Help - Windows 10 latest update has totally messed up my system

in Windows 10 Support
    Help - Windows 10 latest update has totally messed up my system: I just rebooted my system and when I logged in I was greeted by a "Preparing WIndows" message. After that I was told that I was being logged in with a temporary profile and that I wouldn't be able to access my files, and my desktop is totally screwed up... Winver shows 1903...
  10. The latest Windows update has made connecting to some multiplayer games impossible

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    The latest Windows update has made connecting to some multiplayer games impossible: I've tried everything related to firewalls, repair tool, clean installations of League of Legends, etc. I still bugsplat when the game begins loading. The only thing that fixes it is rolling back the Windows update from 2 days ago. However, yesterday Windows wanted to...