Windows 10: [HELP] Locked user files and corrupted drive bin after recent reinstal

Discus and support [HELP] Locked user files and corrupted drive bin after recent reinstal in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi guys! So I'm dealing with this nagging issue that I need your help with. I have recently reinstalled Windows 10. Well, technically it was a month... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bgbrother, Jul 7, 2020.

1. bgbrother Win User

[HELP] Locked user files and corrupted drive bin after recent reinstal

Hi guys! So I'm dealing with this nagging issue that I need your help with. I have recently reinstalled Windows 10. Well, technically it was a month and a half ago but during this time I've not used the machine so we can deem it recent. All I'd done afterwards was install some OEM-provided drivers, nothing else.

So, the other day I finally made up my mind to get my hands on it and set up the software. The very 1st thing I begin with is the security/protection software. I've a license for Avast Premium and so I go to the installation stub file but.. turns out it's locked and I've no access to it:
    https://i.postimg.cc/CK69y4zV/runasadmin.png

Whether I just double-click or select 'run as admin' it's all the same.
    I noticed some 'file ownership' option in the right-click menu:
    https://i.postimg.cc/8sg5kFmP/file-ownership1.png

But it doesn't work:
    https://i.postimg.cc/sgdcbybV/file-ownership2.png

Sure, I could probably go to Avast's website and download the installation stub again but as you can see there are many other files locked. While some of them may be installation files of software that could be downloaded again others are personal files and I'm not giving up on them because of some sh*tty Windows bug. So I started looking for a way to unlock all the files and came across this article which claimed to offer such a solution:
    How to fix 0x80071771 “The specified file could not be decrypted” error?

I diligently followed all the steps, yet not only it didn't help at all, but now every time I access the file explorer I get this nagging pop-up for added hassle:
    https://i.postimg.cc/zXskg5ks/E-drive-bin-issue.png

I read somewhere a purported solution to get rid of it was to delete the recycle bin for the specified drive but I'm afraid of losing files and I don't want to do this. Since the reinstallation I've not deleted any file on purpose. When I access the $RECYCLE.BIN on E:\ drive there are some old entries from previous months and years:
    https://i.postimg.cc/FHKJzBMM/e-drive-bin.png
    I can't open any of them since I get 'access denied' and I have no idea what can these be.

So, good people, do you know a way out of this awful situation so I can gain access to all my files without losing any of them? If I have to, I may reinstall windows again, but what do I do about this creepy EFS feature that is locking my files? It acts like cryptolocker virus, only that it has yet not asked for ransom..

:)

bgbrother, Jul 7, 2020

2. Recycle Bin Corruption after Virus Removal

Thank you for your response. Since the troubleshooting steps provided above does not work, kindly refer to the steps below and check if it will fix the issue

Method 1: Runs System File Checker.

SFC will help you scan your system files and to repair missing or corrupted system files.

Run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe)

Method 2: Delete all permissions, corrupted recycle bin and reinstall recycle bin in Windows

• Go to Settings > Search for File Explorer Options > Click
      View Tab.
    • Uncheck or unhide system protected operating files > Go to open each drive and you'll see the Recycle.bin folder and permissions with an additional recycle.bin;
    • Delete all the permissions, all the recycle.bin(s) on each drive and then Restart Windows.

Method 3: Reinstall recycle bin in Windows

• Right-click on Desktop > Select Personalize;
    • Click on Themes > Click Desktop Icon settings under Related Settings;
    • Check Recycle Bin > Click Apply.

Feel free to post back if you need further assistance.

JericDale Ort, Jul 7, 2020
  3. Mark Isi Win User
    Recycle Bin is corrupted

Hi SivrosJ,

Each drive contains a hidden Recycle Bin system folder, which are hidden and is used as a temporary storage when you delete files on that drive. Just as any other system files, it can also be corrupted and thus, giving you this error message. With that being
    said, can you tell us if this F: drive that you have is a USB flash drive or a
    portable hard drive? Please advise.

In the mean time, I suggest that you perform SFC scan on your external storage device and see if it helps. Here's how:

1. Type cmd on the Cortana search box, right click on the result and select
      Run as administrator.
    2. Type sfc /SCANNOW /OFFBOOTDIR=f:\ /OFFWINDIR=c:\windows

NOTE: replace c:\windows with the correct
    drive
    letter if Windows is installed on a different drive. Hit the Enter key and wait until the scan is finished.

Another step that I can suggest is to reset the Recycle Bin only to the F: drive and see if it helps.

1. Launch cmd as an administrator.
    2. Type rd /s /q F:\$Recycle.bin
    3. Hit the enter key.
    4. Restart your PC.

Let us know the outcome of these troubleshooting steps. To notify us and have us get back to you, simply reply to this post.

Mark Isi, Jul 7, 2020
  4. [HELP] Locked user files and corrupted drive bin after recent reinstal

Issue with recycle bin, windows defender, hard drive space, etc. Dell Support couldn't help.

We suggest that you reset the Recycle Bin folder to fix problems such as the Recycle Bin of your PC not working how it's supposed to. After the reset, Windows will automatically create a new Recycle Bin folder that will work.

To reset the Recycle Bin, follow the steps below:

• Open elevated Command Prompt by pressing the Windows key + X, and then click on
      Command Prompt (Admin).
    • In the Command Prompt window, type the following command then press Enter:

rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin

That command will reset the Recycle Bin in the C drive. After doing so, we also suggest that you run the System File Checker (SFC) scan and the Deployment Image Servicing & Management (DISM) tool to repair corrupted files in the system.

Here are the steps:

• On elevated Command Prompt, type SFC /scannow, and then press
      Enter.
    • After the SFC scan has completed, type DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth, and then press
      Enter.
    • Restart the PC.

Let us know how it goes.

Patricia Yu, Jul 7, 2020
Thema:

[HELP] Locked user files and corrupted drive bin after recent reinstal

1. [HELP] Locked user files and corrupted drive bin after recent reinstal - Similar Threads - HELP Locked user

2. Recycle bin on external hard drive is corrupted.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recycle bin on external hard drive is corrupted.: I have started to get a popup stating "The Recycle Bin on F:\ is corrupted. Do you want to empty the Recycle Bin for this drive?". Clicking on either option has seemingly no effect and the popup just reappears after a few seconds. This started immediately after I tried...
  3. Recycle bin on external hard drive is corrupted.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recycle bin on external hard drive is corrupted.: I have started to get a popup stating "The Recycle Bin on F:\ is corrupted. Do you want to empty the Recycle Bin for this drive?". Clicking on either option has seemingly no effect and the popup just reappears after a few seconds. This started immediately after I tried...
  4. Random Recycle bin corruptions and file locks on internal HDD.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Random Recycle bin corruptions and file locks on internal HDD.: Hi, recently I've been having an issue where on startup of my computer, my entire E: drive Seagate Internal HDD has all of its files locked and the recycle bin shows up as corrupted. Temporarily, deleting the recycle bin and unlocking each folder one by one works, but is...
  5. Random Recycle bin corruptions and file locks on internal HDD.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random Recycle bin corruptions and file locks on internal HDD.: Hi, recently I've been having an issue where on startup of my computer, my entire E: drive Seagate Internal HDD has all of its files locked and the recycle bin shows up as corrupted. Temporarily, deleting the recycle bin and unlocking each folder one by one works, but is...
  6. Random Recycle bin corruptions and file locks on internal HDD.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. corrupted recycle bin, locked on a black screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    corrupted recycle bin, locked on a black screen: Windows 10 problem. "The Recycle Bin on C:\ is corrupted. Do you want to empty the Recycle Bin for this drive? Yes No"This is on a black screen ... am not able to click on anything. Ctrl . Alt . Delete has no effect. Computer less than 2 months old. Help....
  8. Windows Locks At "The C: Drive Recycle Bin Is Corrupted"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Locks At "The C: Drive Recycle Bin Is Corrupted": Hello, I have this weird issue that is stopping me from logging into my computer Toshiba Satellite C850 i5-2370m 8GB Ram WIndows 10 upgraded From 7 I don't know the exact windows version Whenever I launch the computer it works fine, except for the fact that when I go in...
  9. Recent File Corruption Issues

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Recent File Corruption Issues: Hi everyone - I have 4x win10 machines. Each month, I run sfc /scannow on them all. Normally all return a positive result with no issues found. This week I ran the check, and all four reported corrupted files - some of which sfc could not repair. Accordingly I ran DISM which...
  10. Recycle bin on D drive is corrupted

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Recycle bin on D drive is corrupted: Hi Guys, So I was having a previous issue with my computer stuck in a Automatic repair loop and so I just did a clean reinstall of windows on my SSD and formatted my hard drive. Everything was fine until my windows updated a couple days ago and now it says my recycle bin on...