Windows 10: Help, looking to save files from a system that wont boot

Discus and support Help, looking to save files from a system that wont boot in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Have I lost everything? I have a Toshiba Satellite running Windows 10. Windows wont boot up and it reports Stopcode; "System Service Exception". At... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by TimChristensen1, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Help, looking to save files from a system that wont boot

Have I lost everything? I have a Toshiba Satellite running Windows 10. Windows wont boot up and it reports Stopcode; "System Service Exception". At this point, I just want to retrieve my files even at the expense of destroying the laptop in the process if necessary.

Some history; the last time Windows booted, I received an alert message that the hard drive had suffered some problem that indicated a hard drive failure was imminent. I was unable to back up my files at that time and Windows has not booted since. I have confirmed the laptop is plugged in properly. I have not installed any new software recently. I have not been able to boot the computer in Safe Mode by pressing F8 during the starting process.

I have tried: going to System Repair > Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > System Restore.

The process reported it failed on drive D:\, unspecified error 0x81000204.

I then tried System Image and it reported that it couldn't repair.

Next, I went to the Command Prompt:

CHKDSK reported that it found problems

CHKDSK/F reported that it could not run due to write protection

Next, I tried:

D:

dir

cd \windows\system32\config

md backup

copy *.* backup

cd regback

dir

copy *.* ..

A

This was unsuccessful and Windows did not boot

I then tried

D:

CHKDSK/F

This time the process seemed to run successfully and made some repairs but it still wont boot.

I am not sure what to try next

:)

TimChristensen1, Apr 29, 2019

2. PC wont boot up (No POST, No Video)

I recently installed a new Asus M5A99X Evo r2.0. The motherboard green LED lights up and the case and cpu fans spin. But there is no video when its hooked up to my monitor.

Steps that i have tried:
    PERFORM THESE STEPS before posting about POST/boot/no video problems!

Made sure all connections are properly connected.

Flashing the CMOS

Tested the PSU

Followed all steps in the user manual

If there are any links that you guys can point me to or suggestions that could help it would be highly appreciated. Thank you

Mrblack761, Apr 29, 2019
  3. Tatty_One Win User
    Saves log files ?

You can either read the files in Windows or my preferred method is.....

Download CCcleaner from here...........

CCleaner Professional | Try the world’s most trusted PC cleaner, free!

You can then run cleaner, you will see the log files listed, then if you right click you can save as a text file and then have a read. You may also get an "error reporting" log listed seperatly.

Tatty_One, Apr 29, 2019
  4. Help, looking to save files from a system that wont boot

File Save

Hi Clive,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Please provide the following information with us to understand the issue better.

• What is the location where you are trying to save the files?
    • Is the issue specific to particular type of files? Example Office files.
    I would like to inform you that you cannot save the files in location where Operating System files are saved.

I suggest you to Run Maintenance task and check if it helps.

The Run maintenance task checks issues that might slow down your computers, such as how many users are currently logged on to the computer and whether multiple programs are running at the same time.

Follow the below steps.

• Press Windows + X on the keyboard.
    • Select Control Panel.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Click on Run maintenance task under System and Security.
    Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Apr 29, 2019
Thema:

Help, looking to save files from a system that wont boot

1. Help, looking to save files from a system that wont boot - Similar Threads - Help looking save

2. Need help looking at dump file, system crashing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help looking at dump file, system crashing: Hi, having fixed my previous issue ive now got something new to worry about. Keeps crashing in games and im hoping its a driver of some sort but some help looking at whats causing it would be much appreciated.Any and all help will be much appreciated, thanks.Msinfo and a...
  3. Need help looking at dump file, system crashing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need help looking at dump file, system crashing: Hi, having fixed my previous issue ive now got something new to worry about. Keeps crashing in games and im hoping its a driver of some sort but some help looking at whats causing it would be much appreciated.Any and all help will be much appreciated, thanks.Msinfo and a...
  4. Unable to UEFI boot - looking for help!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to UEFI boot - looking for help!: Hello Microsoft Community,Looking to change boot from Legacy to UEFI and have updated my bios settings to enable UEFI and to boot from UEFI. After changing I am unable to boot and get the No Boot Device Found. Press any key to reboot the machine error.From my understanding...
  5. Unable to UEFI boot - looking for help!

Unable to UEFI boot - looking for help!: Hello Microsoft Community,Looking to change boot from Legacy to UEFI and have updated my bios settings to enable UEFI and to boot from UEFI. After changing I am unable to boot and get the No Boot Device Found. Press any key to reboot the machine error.From my understanding...
  6. System wont boot to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System wont boot to Windows 10: So basically I was leaving my computer on for the night for a game, and I think it automatically shut off because now it isn't working. It now just starts, tries to diagnose, fails, and doesn't work, I tried all the ways to fix it, I also even ran a checkup, and it said it...
  7. System wont boot to Windows 10

System wont boot to Windows 10: So basically I was leaving my computer on for the night for a game, and I think it automatically shut off because now it isn't working. It now just starts, tries to diagnose, fails, and doesn't work, I tried all the ways to fix it, I also even ran a checkup, and it said it...
  8. System wont boot to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. Can't boot Windows 10 Looking for help re-installing from bootable USB and save files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't boot Windows 10 Looking for help re-installing from bootable USB and save files: Hello folks, My laptop did a major Win 10 feature update in early January plus some security updates, etc. all was fine after the update and I used my laptop for a day without issue. When I woke up the next day my laptop seemed frozen with a black screen and I had to power...
  10. Wont boot from USB

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Wont boot from USB: I recently got an errorcode and internet sources suggested I re-install win10. I only have a USB port and for some reason my PC wont boot with a usbstick. I made the stick (fat32) on the Microsoft site using a diffirent laptop. I enabled usb boot, cms disable and put the...