Windows 10: [HELP] Losing folder's custom icon when copying

Discus and support [HELP] Losing folder's custom icon when copying in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello, I am a designer and I have a folder hierarchy template that I copy/past/rename when I have a new client or project. I have 4 folders for adobe... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/smartmontMe, May 14, 2020.

1. [HELP] Losing folder's custom icon when copying

Hello, I am a designer and I have a folder hierarchy template that I copy/past/rename when I have a new client or project.

I have 4 folders for adobe creative, Premiere Pro, After Effects, Illustrator, and Photoshop. I have assigned icons to them from the .exe file of each software. Everything is fine until I copy/paste/rename the new folder it loses all icons.

Is there any solution to this? Thanks

submitted by /u/smartmontMe
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/smartmontMe, May 14, 2020

2. Custom icons no longer display when folder is copied or moved. How to fix?

I have about 6,000 folders with different custom icons. Since the windows update in early October the icons stay, except if I move or copy the folders they return to an empty folder icon. The typical setup looks like:

• Folder (read only)
      • desktop.ini (hidden)
        • [.ShellClassInfo]
        • ConfirmFileOp=0
        • IconFile=img.ico
        • IconIndex=0
      • img.ico (hidden)
    I have tried adding (system) to desktop.ini with no success, although it never needed it before. Until October I used to copy the folder and change the img.ico to create new folders, but this no longer works.

Please help me, I don't want to have to keep re-customising the icons manually every time I create new folders or back-up.

Annoyed-Requester, May 14, 2020
  3. Cannot copy folders with their customized icons anymore

Since the last Windows 10 update, I cannot copy anymore folders retaining their customized icon: the icon gets reset systematically to the default one. How can I reset this feature to as it was before (i.e. folders were copied with their customized icons)?

JMFJMFJMFJMF, May 14, 2020
  4. mapeja Win User

[HELP] Losing folder's custom icon when copying

Customized folder icon disappears after COPYING the folder to another drive

This has nothing to do with the Dropbox or the Startup issues which the system suggested.

Windows 10, file explorer:

1) A customized folder icon in my user partition is correctly displayed.

2) The folder is dragged using File Explorer to a removable disk drive.

3) On the removable drive, the default icon is shown, not the customized one. However, the desktop.ini file was copied correctly (example: IconResource=C:\WINDOWS\System32\shell32.dll,176)

mapeja, May 14, 2020
Thema:

[HELP] Losing folder's custom icon when copying

1. [HELP] Losing folder's custom icon when copying - Similar Threads - HELP Losing folder's

2. Customize folder icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Customize folder icon: Can I add here custom picture or icon? I am trying to change icon of a folder. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/customize-folder-icon/ec15e418-deb5-4ccb-a624-5f0f17356e00
  3. Customize folder icon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Customize folder icon: Can I add here custom picture or icon? I am trying to change icon of a folder. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/customize-folder-icon/ec15e418-deb5-4ccb-a624-5f0f17356e00
  4. Cannot customize folder icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot customize folder icons: Firstly, I am sorry if this was posted before, I saw many similar, but I could not find the solution.So, I am downloading icons .ico and I am trying to customize my icons Windows 11, but the same was happening since Windows 10. When I go to the properties of the folter, there...
  5. How to send someone a file/folder with a custom icon without losing the icon

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to send someone a file/folder with a custom icon without losing the icon: As we all know, when you change the icon of a folder it only works locally because when you select an icon it only uses it as a full path instead of making the icon a part of the folder/file itselfAnd because of this, It's impossible to send someone a folder with icons since...
  6. Help with folder customizations

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help with folder customizations: Hello all! I have a large external drive that I use to move photos and videos for a small operation. I have customized certain folders as video folders or whatever to make it use the video folders view instead of general items. However I have noticed that if I plug the drive...
  7. Custom Folder Icons issue

Custom Folder Icons issue: Hello, I'm totally new to this community so I don't know if I'm posting it in the right topic. I'm making customized DVD shape folder icons for my movies. As long as it is PNG it's fine. When I convert it into *.ico with "Any to Icon" and export it to my desktop it is fine...
  8. Custom folder icon keep changing to default when I Copy/Move it to another place.

Custom folder icon keep changing to default when I Copy/Move it to another place.: Hi there, here is what I am talking about: When I change folder icon with software, then I copy/move the folder to another place in Windows 10, the custom icon resets to default empty folder icon. I found out the solution, so I'm gonna tell you: The problem is because of...
  9. Problem copying customized folders

in Windows 10 Customization
    Problem copying customized folders: Hi everybody. I have a problem copying customized folders. Before Windows 10 correctly copied customized folders from a disc to another or inside the same disc. Now, when I copy a customized folder, the customized look goes lost. I e a practical example below. 1. Open...
  10. Losing Custom Folders Icon When Moving To USB Flash

in Windows 10 Customization
    Losing Custom Folders Icon When Moving To USB Flash: Dear All, I used to customize my icons specially for Movies and TV Collection to give it a nice look. While using Windows 8.1 i used the below to keep the icons shown even if i transferred the folder to any other USB Flash or other computer at the desktop.ini file and...