Windows 10: HELP -- Made a huge mistake. Removed processor before decrypting drive using bitlocker and TPM

Discus and support HELP -- Made a huge mistake. Removed processor before decrypting drive using bitlocker and TPM in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Major, major oversight on my part. I wasn't thinking when I removed my processor and then placed the new one in. When prompted to delete/reset the... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Alex Megoderp, Nov 9, 2020.

1. HELP -- Made a huge mistake. Removed processor before decrypting drive using bitlocker and TPM

Major, major oversight on my part. I wasn't thinking when I removed my processor and then placed the new one in. When prompted to delete/reset the fTPM, I went through with it and reinstalled windows on a new drive. I don't have the recovery key for my old drive. If I place my CPU back into my machine, can the TPM be reset again back to exactly where it was before, to allow me to decrypt my drive?

:)

Alex Megoderp, Nov 9, 2020

2. BitLocker Problem - TPM Died and Drive Won't Decrypt

I noticed on one of our Windows 7 machines that BitLocker was suspended. I looked for a ticket on the issue to figure out the history of the problem, but there is no ticket (A couple of retired co-workers were known for not opening tickets). When I tried
    to enable BitLocker, I got an error indicating that the system has no TPM chip. All of our systems have TPM chips, but that particular model is older than most and we've had several TPM failures.

Since the systems are out of warranty, our solution has been to decrypt the drive, and then re-encrypt it and put the startup key on a USB thumb drive. However, in this case, the drive gets to 34.5% decrypted and just hangs. I let it run all weekend and
    it did not move beyond 34.5% completed. I didn't want to leave the drive partially decrypted, so I did a little research and was able to get the drive back to 100% encrypted. I then ran chkdsk and no errors were found.

I would prefer to just replace the machine, but we have a bit of a budget crunch, so I am trying to find another solution. Are there any tools out there to repair BitLocker drives? Is there a way to put the startup key on a USB drive without decrypting
    and then re-encrypting?

Thanks in advance for any help that you can offer!

--Tom

thomasm516, Nov 9, 2020
  3. BitLocker not requiring password at boot. (Without TPM)

I've recently installed bitlocker on my computer. Although windows says my C: drive is encrypted; I am not asked for my decryption password when i boot the computer. I get put straight into the login screen. I've done the necessary steps to enable bitlocker without TPM but maybe i missed something. Help please.

xBrokenxSoulx, Nov 9, 2020
  4. DJ91311 Win User

HELP -- Made a huge mistake. Removed processor before decrypting drive using bitlocker and TPM

Bitlocker in Windows 10 without TPM

As others here, I have my Win8.1 C: drive encrypted without a TPM and with a password. I am still unsure whether to upgrade to Win10. Your posts:

• Told how to enable Bitlocker on Windows 10
    • Seemed limited to the BETA version of Windows 10
    QUESTIONS:

• Can I simply upgrade to Win10 without decrypting my C: drive AND still use the same password on Bitlocker?
    • Can you confirm that Bitlocker WILL NOT revert to the default Bitlocker settings during the upgrade?
    • Will everything work as in your post on the production Win10 upgrade as on the trial versions?
    Having to worry about losing a thumbdrive makes me quite uneasy--especially on the road. In the event of theft, the thumbdrive would likely be with the laptop; thus, obviating the reason for using Bitlocker in the first place.

The following points have given me concerns about upgrading to Win10:

From the Win10 Specifications Page:

•BitLocker To Go requires a USB flash drive (Windows 10 Pro only).

•BitLocker requires either Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 1.2, TPM 2.0 or a

USB flash drive (Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise only).

Did the post "kennethrallen replied on August 1, 2015S, See post history" relate to a removable drive; did Win10 incorrectly interpret the drive as removable because it was encrypted; or was the problem apparently something else?

Thanks

DJ

DJ91311, Nov 9, 2020
Thema:

HELP -- Made a huge mistake. Removed processor before decrypting drive using bitlocker and TPM

1. HELP -- Made a huge mistake. Removed processor before decrypting drive using bitlocker and TPM - Similar Threads - HELP Made huge

2. Made a mistake

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Made a mistake: Dear Microsoft Support, I accidentally purchased an item in my app;" It is for Adobe that I was charged $ 107.99 today. I have not used it at all today. I am hoping to be able to ask for a refund. I did not know I had done so until I saw it pending at my Bank. When I saw it I...
  3. Made a mistake

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Made a mistake: Dear Microsoft Support, I accidentally purchased an item in my app;" It is for Adobe that I was charged $ 107.99 today. I have not used it at all today. I am hoping to be able to ask for a refund. I did not know I had done so until I saw it pending at my Bank. When I saw it I...
  4. BitLocker Drive Decryption

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitLocker Drive Decryption: someone help me my PC has taken 24hrs to drive decryption, and still now is ongoing decrypting, PC is frozen, stuck at 62.7% up to now, what is problem so far? I'm so tired...
  5. BitLocker Drive Decryption

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BitLocker Drive Decryption: someone help me my PC has taken 24hrs to drive decryption, and still now is ongoing decrypting, PC is frozen, stuck at 62.7% up to now, what is problem so far? I'm so tired...
  6. BitLocker Drive Decryption

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Help. Mistakes were made.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help. Mistakes were made.: (Sorry for bad formatting, I'm on mobile) My mother has two old laptops that were still running on Windows 8 and 8.1 Recently the computer she regularly uses for photo editing has been breaking down, so in a worst-case-scenario, sadly, she had to resort to using one of these...
  8. I've made a huge mistake with the folder WindowsApps and need help desperately!

I've made a huge mistake with the folder WindowsApps and need help desperately!: Okay so this all started when I wanted to 2 put of 1 app I the start menu like at the top my most used apps and then under other stuff like social media and games so i was gonna need 2 of 1 app in the start menu I figured out a way to do that, I had to copy paste the .exe...
  9. A huge mistake

A huge mistake: Hi guys, so I've a problem, for mistake I deleted the whole keys in regedit Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor and I recreated that manually copying from another computer.. do you think it works? I also run a sfv scan to repair any problem, I...
  10. I made a huge mistake by changing permissions of my (C:) Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I made a huge mistake by changing permissions of my (C:) Drive: Hello everyone, thank you for viewing my question. About a week ago, I was playing Borderlands 2 (game) for about 6 hours. I completed most of the game, and logged out for the day. When I came back the next day, I realized my progress didn’t save. Upset, I took desperate...