Windows 10: Help making older Serial - USB now connected keyboard Work on Win 10

Discus and support Help making older Serial - USB now connected keyboard Work on Win 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; my older dell wired keyboard wont work with windows 10 now, its a serial to usb connection. lights flash when plugged in but then laptop beeps USB not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MikeRepo, Oct 31, 2018.

1. MikeRepo Win User

Help making older Serial - USB now connected keyboard Work on Win 10

my older dell wired keyboard wont work with windows 10 now, its a serial to usb connection. lights flash when plugged in but then laptop beeps USB not recognized. Its a dell e6440 laptop also. How do I make this work?? I dont like the newer keyboards i prefer my original one. What happened to Plug and Play?​

:)

MikeRepo, Oct 31, 2018

2. Usb keyboard and mouse not working

Hello Raj,

We understand your concern in this regard.

As I explained in my earlier response, the problem might be with the incompatible drivers or might be device compatibility on Windows 10. Suggest you to check if any yellow exclamation mark appears against the USB controllers. Press Windows logo key+ X,
    select Device Manager from the list. Spot and expand the Universal Serial Bus Controllers. Now see if you find any instance for connected Mouse or Keyboard or Card reader appears there. Double click on it to see the device working status.

Use Device Manager to disable and re-enable all the USB controllers. This lets the controllers recover the USB port from its unresponsive condition. The USB controllers represent the USB ports in Device Manager.

To disable and re-enable the USB controllers, follow these steps:

• Press Windows key + X, and then click Run.
    • Type devmgmt.msc, and then click OK. Device Manager opens.
    • Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.

Note You might have to scroll down the list to find this item.
    • Right-click the first USB controller under Universal Serial Bus controllers, and then click
      Uninstall to remove it.
    • Repeat step 4 for each USB controller that is listed under Universal Serial Bus controllers.
    • Restart the computer. After the computer starts, Windows will automatically scan for hardware changes and reinstall all the USB controllers that you uninstalled.
    • Check the USB device to see whether it is working.

Meanwhile go to computer manufacturer website and try to install chipset drivers. You can search them using device model number. Please refer the suggestion provided by Andre Da Costa from this link:

How to: Install and Update Hardware Drivers in Windows 10

Let us know to guide you further.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Oct 31, 2018
  3. printer usb is an older version

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

• What is the make and model of the printer and computer?

• What is the exact error message?

I suggest you to disable and re-enable the USB controllers. The following steps will uninstall all the USB controllers and then re-install them:

a. Right click on Start, and then click
    Run.

b. Type devmgmt.msc and then click
    OK. Device Manager opens.

c. Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.

Note: You might have to scroll down the list to find this item.

d. Right click the first USB controller under
    Universal Serial Bus controllers
    , and then click Uninstall to remove it.

e. Repeat step 4 for each USB controller that is listed under
    Universal Serial Bus controllers.

Note: Restart the computer. After the computer starts, Windows will automatically scan for hardware changes and reinstall all the USB controllers that you uninstalled.

If the issue persists then I suggest you to refer to the following article.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/fix-printer-problems

Hope the information helps. Please let us know if the issue persist and we will be happy to assist you further.

Rajeshwari_Patil, Oct 31, 2018
  4. Help making older Serial - USB now connected keyboard Work on Win 10

Windows 10 usb keyboard and mouse not working

Hi,

To assist you better, answer the below question.

I would like to know if you are getting any message when you connect the USB Keyboard and Mouse?

I suggest you to connect the USB Keyboard and Mouse to a different USB port and check if it works.

Also, plug your USB Keyboard and Mouse to a different system and check if it works.

I suggest you try below method and check if it helps

Hardware and devices troubleshooter

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your mouse.

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.
    • Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.

Hope the above information was helpful. If you need further information assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Ashwin V S, Oct 31, 2018
Thema:

Help making older Serial - USB now connected keyboard Work on Win 10

1. Help making older Serial - USB now connected keyboard Work on Win 10 - Similar Threads - Help making older

2. usb serial converter not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    usb serial converter not working: rs232 serial to usb a prolific chipset cadapter not working after update i have tried everything https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-serial-converter-not-working/4a2cad08-13e9-48e1-80dd-55bda0e01a61
  3. usb serial converter not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    usb serial converter not working: rs232 serial to usb a prolific chipset cadapter not working after update i have tried everything https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-serial-converter-not-working/4a2cad08-13e9-48e1-80dd-55bda0e01a61
  4. usb serial converter not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Serial number win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Serial number win 10: So basically my serial number it is not working at all why that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/serial-number-win-10/0489926b-62e5-4240-9bab-0b60bb43db18
  6. WIN 10 clean install - USB mouse and keyboard not working

WIN 10 clean install - USB mouse and keyboard not working: I have a 2014 desktop that has been upgraded over the years. It came with a mouse and keyboard with colour coded pin type connections - both thrown away for newer USB models. I have just completed a clean upload of Windows 10 and find, on restart, my USB mouse and keyboard...
  7. usb hid device serial connection problem

usb hid device serial connection problem: Hi i am using a sensor that transmits data to a human interface usb device over bluetooth... the hid device is connected by usb to my laptop... when i use an application from the manufacturing company i can read the data just fine from the device but whenever i want to code...
  8. Make bootable USB drive for Win 10

Make bootable USB drive for Win 10: Task is simple: Making a bootable USB drive with Windows 10 Education - English - 1909 version The hardware I want to use is a Zenbook 14-UX433FA with Endless OS installed (seems a linux distro, never heard of it before) The PC I am working at right now is a Desktop with...
  9. physical serial ports (Not USB connected)

physical serial ports (Not USB connected): My tower has two physical (old school) serial ports which I need to use for a Kenwood CAT radio interface (TS-850) and a RigBlaster PRO soundcard digital interface at the same time. I have tried everything that google has found for me without any luck. I have tried 2 USB to...
  10. USB stop working no keyboard or mouse now.

USB stop working no keyboard or mouse now.: I had Windows 10 installed for I guess a year working good. The other day it did not see USB flash drive I plug in. It did make a ding sound though the USB sound headphones I have on it. Rebooted and then no USB works. It goes to the log in screen and I can press any key...