Windows 10: Help me make my SMB shares visible on the network again

Discus and support Help me make my SMB shares visible on the network again in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Ok, so i have a problem that i need some help with. I use a PC with Windows 10 Pro and after updating to Creators Edition (1703) i can no longer see my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by redturtle, Sep 16, 2017.

1. redturtle Win User

Help me make my SMB shares visible on the network again

Ok, so i have a problem that i need some help with. I use a PC with Windows 10 Pro and after updating to Creators Edition (1703) i can no longer see my SMB shares on the network with my media players, for example i use a Oppo blu-ray player and this can no longer see the shares from my PC. I found the reason described in this thread and it turns out that the Creators update from Microsoft is the cause for this issue. https://social.technet.microsoft.com...tpronetworking

But i did find a solution from a user in this thread who suggested to try and change the "network ID" from business network to home network.
    Controlpanel --> System & Security --> System --> Change settings in computer name, domain and workgroup --> network ID --> Click the "this computer is not part of a business network".

This helped and now i can see my shares on my mediaplayer again BUT the problem is that this only works until i restart my computer and after restart, the shares are not showing anymore and if i go into network ID again, the settings is back to business network.

How do i set this to permanently stay on home network instead of business network?

Fyi, i use a VPN service, could this be the cause for the network setting to revert back to business after restart?

:)

redturtle, Sep 16, 2017

2. Network drive lost after trying to disable SMB v1

>sc.exe config mrxsmb10 start= auto

>>The specified service does not exist as an installed service.<<

Even ability to manually enter SMB NAS share disappeared after 9/17 update.

SMB share is visible to other devices on network

Rick from the north, Sep 16, 2017
  3. roncerr Win User
    Win10 10586 - FOUND FIX for system error 1231 bug ( network shares broken, missing machines on network, etc )

There appears to be two related issues. 1) the 1231 error that goes with not being able to see all PCs on the network from the one with that error in net view. That for me was my new fresh install of Windows 10 (latest build as of now). Windws 10 could
    not see a Windows 8 machine but could see 2 Vista machines. Another thread suggested we could disable smb 2&3 on all PC's. That was a "fix" for the 1231 error and the Explorer PC listing problems. But it actually made things worse for me in regard 2) Shares.
    Before, the Windows 8 computer could see the shares on the Windows 10 computer (not visa versa), but now even though all PCs are visible from everywhere, the shares on 10 are not visible on 8 nor are the shares on 8 visible on 10. So the smb 1231 fix made
    Windows 8 & 10 blind to each other's shares.

roncerr, Sep 16, 2017
  4. pyramid10 Win User

VirtualPrivateNetwork

By design, virtual terminates when the light goes out!

Perhaps, as with virtual ram drives and virtual machines (running a separate operating system), there is a way to 'save the data' of the setup before turning out the lights?

pyramid10, Sep 17, 2017
Thema:

1. Help me make my SMB shares visible on the network again - Similar Threads - Help SMB shares

2. SMB share inaccessible from local network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SMB share inaccessible from local network: I have an SMB share just shared through the Properties of the folder on Windows 11. Recently I have been unable to access the share from both linux and Windows 10. I have verified Windows Defender has the rules enabled for NetBIOS and SMB. All devices are on the same subnet...
  3. SMB share inaccessible from local network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SMB share inaccessible from local network: I have an SMB share just shared through the Properties of the folder on Windows 11. Recently I have been unable to access the share from both linux and Windows 10. I have verified Windows Defender has the rules enabled for NetBIOS and SMB. All devices are on the same subnet...
  4. Please help me get my network going again.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Please help me get my network going again.: I am in Windows 10 Hell. Please help me. I bought a little Gateway Notepad that came with Windows 10. My original intention was just to install Linux on it for fun and learning. I've dabbled in Linux off and on over the years. I know that someday my old Windows 7 will give up...
  5. Please help me get my network going again.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Please help me get my network going again.: I am in Windows 10 Hell. Please help me. I bought a little Gateway Notepad that came with Windows 10. My original intention was just to install Linux on it for fun and learning. I've dabbled in Linux off and on over the years. I know that someday my old Windows 7 will give up...
  6. Local network / smb shares and notifications

Local network / smb shares and notifications: Why is the issue with local share security warnings still a problem? I shouldnot have to click OK in this box every time I touch a file in thesame shared directory. Why, ten years later, is there stillno simple, straightforward way to turn this notification off? without...
  7. I cant make my computer visible on the network

I cant make my computer visible on the network: How can I make my Windows pro 10 computer visible on the home network? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-make-my-computer-visible-on-the-network/0e3de6da-400c-415a-a0a5-1132796720bc
  8. Entering a SMB share

Entering a SMB share: Hi everyone, in W10 i shared a folder and i want to enter them using "ES File Explorer" in Android. From that app i'm requested for user e psw. SMB protocol are active: Windows PowerShell Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>...
  9. Making all computers visible on network

Making all computers visible on network: I have the most recent form of Windows 10. We have 3 laptops and 1 desktop. After the most recent Windows 10 update, we can't see any other computers on the network from the laptops, but we can see all of them from the desktop. Because the desktop is not viewable, we...
  10. Network shares no longer visible in Explorer

Network shares no longer visible in Explorer: I have two machines: a laptop (Zebedee) and a desktop (Dougal). A couple of days ago I found that the network shares from both machines were no longer visible in Explorer on either machine. I noticed this after Zebedee (but not Dougal) had been upgraded to Windows 10 version...