Windows 10: Help me out of this failed restore mess

Discus and support Help me out of this failed restore mess in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I was running Windows 10 Pro on a desktop Asus MB PC. Messing around with nodejs and npm installation I got everything messed up so I did a system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by silvanet_1, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Help me out of this failed restore mess

I was running Windows 10 Pro on a desktop Asus MB PC. Messing around with nodejs and npm installation I got everything messed up so I did a system restore. There was a restore point from day before this happened so I picked it. The process took hours and seemed to finish successfully. I shut down the PC. It was working. When I restarted this morning it went into Automatic Repair and said it could not find a repair. I tried various advanced troubleshooting options to get an idea of what was going on.

I tried to go back to system restore but got message that I must enable system protection on my local disk boot drive. It was set, so I was confused. I tried but couldn't start in safe mode. I then tried to use the command prompt. It loads a virtual x drive. When I changed to the C (boot drive), I noticed something strange. It wasn't my boot drive. The drive identified as my D: drive is the actual boot drive. No wonder Windows won't start up. I checked my Asus bios UEFI settings and see that it is also reading my D drive as the boot. I tried changing that, but for some reason it doesn't stick. On boot, the wrong drive is trying to boot.

I did some searching and found instructions to fix the boot record. I'm not even sure that's needed. Maybe if there were a way from the command prompt (I can't access the installation any other way) to direct the boot loading to the right drive, that might take care of the problem, but I don't know how I would do that. I started to run chkdsk on both my D (misidentified as C) and my actual C drive. They would take five and three hours, so I haven't gone there yet.

Also, I'm not sure any commands from the x drive shouldn't be addressed directly to the drives in question. That is, for example, wouldn't bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd, and bootrec.exe /fixboot attempt to work on the virtasl x drive? I tried running them. From D:\> bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd scans for Windows installation and returns "Total identified Windows installations: 0; The operation completed successfully." I guess that should be no surprise. I suspect the bootloader is gone from that (original boot drive).

But, from the drive identified as my C boot drive, C:\> bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd returns the exact same message - no Windows installations are recognized! I tried running bootrec.exe /fixboot and got "Access is denied," again, on both drives. The command prompt is running in Admin mode. I tried disabling automatic UEFI booting. I'm stuck. I'd like to avoid having to do a complete clean installation. I'd be happy jut to be able to reverse the system restore. How the hell could this have happened!

:)

silvanet_1, Aug 25, 2019

2. HELP. SURFACE 3 IS MESSING UP

Hi Brandon,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you are facing. I will certainly help you with this.

• Which game are you referring to?
    • Is this issue specific to any game?
    I would suggest you to restore the system to the previous point where PC was working normally and check if this helps in resolving the issue. To do so kindly follow the below given steps:

• Press Windows + I key and click on Update and security.

• Click on Recovery, and click on
      Restart under Advance startup.

• In the Windows Recovery Environment, on the Choose an option screen, click
      'Troubleshoot'.

• Click, Advanced Options and then click on
      System Restore.

• Follow the onscreen suggestion to restore your PC to earlier point.
    Hope this helps.

Kindly get back to us with the status to assist you further.

Thank You.

ThofikhAhamad, Aug 25, 2019
  3. Mark Isi Win User
    Failed to complete System Restore

Hello Passegua,

The error code 0x80070005 may indicate a few things that are causing System Restore Failure. It could be corrupted system files, conflict with other programs such as Anti-virus protection, and etc. As a first troubleshooting step, we suggest
    that you perform System restore in Safe Mode. Kindly refer to this link for more information and steps.

Another step that I can suggest is Clean Boot, if the above step fails.

Let us know the outcome.

Mark Isi, Aug 25, 2019
  4. Help me out of this failed restore mess

help to remote connect

not sure how to use both programs u 2 suggested, i need more helpful steps thanks

Corduroy_Jr, Aug 25, 2019
Thema:

Help me out of this failed restore mess

1. Help me out of this failed restore mess - Similar Threads - Help failed restore

2. Help me out

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Help me out: I forced my PC to do system restore since I made a mistake changing some registry settings. The restore is finish however I have a problem now were the MS Store cant be open anymore. I can open this prior to the restore but now I cant. When I click on the MS Store it will...
  3. Help me out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help me out: I forced my PC to do system restore since I made a mistake changing some registry settings. The restore is finish however I have a problem now were the MS Store cant be open anymore. I can open this prior to the restore but now I cant. When I click on the MS Store it will...
  4. Help me out

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. HELP ME OUT

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HELP ME OUT: Touchpad Clicking Automatically when Driver is installed And When I don't have any driver installed When I right click my touchpad moves automatially and Clicks insanely https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/help-me-out/b56badbb-554d-4e0a-8fbc-4a702ea7bfe3
  6. Messed up daughters PC. Trying to fix it. Please help me out.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Messed up daughters PC. Trying to fix it. Please help me out.: Split from this thread. I messed my son and daughter inlaes pc ans trying to fix it on my own can you please help me out * OS not specified...
  7. Help me understand this hot mess of outlook 2019 (backup/restoration)

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Help me understand this hot mess of outlook 2019 (backup/restoration): Oh boy. So it begins with the desire to have basically a "mirror" of my entire outlook install on a second pc, but I havent even GOTTEN to that point yet. By chance I was looking at my account settings > data files and clicked on a few of my emailname.ost files. Each returned...
  8. Help me understand this hot mess of outlook 2019 (backup/restoration)

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help me understand this hot mess of outlook 2019 (backup/restoration): Oh boy. So it begins with the desire to have basically a "mirror" of my entire outlook install on a second pc, but I havent even GOTTEN to that point yet. By chance I was looking at my account settings > data files and clicked on a few of my emailname.ost files. Each returned...
  9. Help me out

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help me out: I know this might sound like i was born yesterday,but i have one question.I moved all of my space from the D drive into my C drive and now i have one big C drive.What are the upsides and downsides of this and will it affect me in the long term.Thank you in advance. :)...
  10. Help me out

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Help me out: [ATTACH] help me out activating my windows 10 home https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/help-me-out/887e0e37-1d14-486c-a11a-0fd8652e458d