Windows 10: Help me understand SQL Server

Discus and support Help me understand SQL Server in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; While trying to understand intermittent freezes in my Windows 10 that require hard reboots to recover from I was looking at my event viewer trying to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by lgentry, Mar 30, 2016.

1. lgentry Win User

Help me understand SQL Server

While trying to understand intermittent freezes in my Windows 10 that require hard reboots to recover from I was looking at my event viewer trying to find the culprit. Although I have not yet narrowed down the problem (there are several different errors) I came across several events related to SQL Server "insufficient system memory in resource pool 'internal' to run this query". I'm running a quad core i5 machine with 8 gb of ram. Looking at my list of installed programs I notice that I have the following:

SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition
    SQL Server 2008 Setup Support Files
    SQL Server 2012 Native Client
    SQL Server 2014 Setup
    SQL Server 2014
    SQL Transact SQL Scriptdom
    SQL Server Browser for SQL Server 2014

I've tried to read about exactly what SQL Server is and it's as clear as mud to me. Can someone help me understand what it is? Do I need to have all those versions installed? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

:)

lgentry, Mar 30, 2016

2. Sql Server 2008 R2 on Windows 10 and extended support

I understand the SQL Server 2008 R2 is not supported on Windows 10. However the extended support for SQL Server 2008 R2 ends on 7/9/2019.

Would we receive security updates if we install SQL Server 2008 R2 on Windows 10 although the operating system is not supported?

Thanks

Gene Ariani, Mar 30, 2016
  3. Windows 10 error on MMC when trying Certificate Snap-in

Hi,

Thank you for the response and keeping the status updated.

I will be glad to help you with the issue you have with the computer. I understand the frustration when things don't work the way it should.

This problem may occur if you have both SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server 2008 installed on the same system.

You can either remove 2005 or you could try installing SP3 for SQL Server 2005.

Thank you.

Ruth Buruga, Mar 30, 2016
  4. Help me understand SQL Server

My guess is, if you aren't sure what SQL Server is, you don't need it. But, before you delete it, who installed these apps on your computer? If this is a corporate computer, you should ask your IT team. It is odd to see these installed on a home computer, unless you purchased an expensive license for SQL.

The only other alternative is that you have something installed that requires a local SQL install. They aren't part of a standard Windows install, so they had to be installed separately.

SQL stands for Standard Query Language, and it is used to pull data and run queries against a database or databases.

DeaconFrost, Mar 30, 2016
Thema:

Help me understand SQL Server

1. Help me understand SQL Server - Similar Threads - Help understand SQL

2. Help me understand File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Help me understand File Explorer: [img] This is confusing to me. I'd like to have just one thing above This PC. Is there some way to combine Quick access, OneDrive, and Libraries into one item. What's the best way to manage this is W 10? Would also be nice then to be able to expand an item to see what...
  3. sql server management studio

in Windows 10 Customization
    sql server management studio: Hi! I have been using an electronic health record system for the past 10 years. I am retiring soon but will still need access to the 'ehr' information for 7 years. The people who run the program that I use tell me that the information is in sql. I have a choice how to access...
  4. sql server install error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    sql server install error: I get the error message of "Version string portion was too short or too long." I've uninstalled all previous versions of SQL and removed any references to .net framework. Windows10-64bit, I5-3GHZ, 16GB ram How do I get past this install error?...
  5. Microsoft SQL Server

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsoft SQL Server: I have just had to upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro in order to install the update of a Tax program I use. The reason for the upgrade was because the Home edition would not allow the installation of Microsoft SQL Server. So the Pro edition lets it run through to the end...
  6. Microsoft SQL Server

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft SQL Server: I have just had to upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro in order to install the update of a Tax program I use. The reason for the upgrade was because the Home edition would not allow the installation of Microsoft SQL Server. So the Pro edition lets it run through to the end...
  7. Privacy settings in 1803 - Help me understand.

in Windows 10 Support
    Privacy settings in 1803 - Help me understand.: In Windows 1803, there are some new privacy settings, Documents, Pictures, Video and File System. These all now have a global setting for access to said locations via apps under a heading of allow blah blah on this device. Directly under said setting there's a global...
  8. SQL Server error?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SQL Server error?: How can I make this SQL Server error go away? [img] 65169
  9. Update SQL server version!

in Windows 10 Support
    Update SQL server version!: I have 2 computers, a laptop and a desktop, the laptop has SQL 2012 and the Desktop has SQL 2014 with the latest update. I have a program which requires that the SQL versions match, but could not get the laptop to accept the SQL 2014 version. It failed with the message to...
  10. lost SQL Server 2005

in Windows 10 Support
    lost SQL Server 2005: All: On my Desktop Computer: Downloading pictures from my camera, an error occurred! The error report said that MS SQL Server 2005 was missing! I looked this up & it said SQL server 2005 has been replaced by SQL Server 2015! Is there an easy solution to this...