Windows 10: Help me understand this hot mess of outlook 2019 (backup/restoration)

Discus and support Help me understand this hot mess of outlook 2019 (backup/restoration) in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; Oh boy. So it begins with the desire to have basically a "mirror" of my entire outlook install on a second pc, but I havent even GOTTEN to that point... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by klepp0906, Feb 20, 2020.

1. klepp0906 Win User

Help me understand this hot mess of outlook 2019 (backup/restoration)

Oh boy. So it begins with the desire to have basically a "mirror" of my entire outlook install on a second pc, but I havent even GOTTEN to that point yet. By chance I was looking at my account settings > data files and clicked on a few of my emailname.ost files. Each returned "an unknown error occurred 0x80040605" and thus my saga began. I assumed this was problematic so i first wanted to find a way to make it right.

Over the years ive ran outlook 2013/2016/2019 and so the hodgepodge of a mess thats been created im struggling to put together. I have an "Outlook Files" folder in My documents which has some .pst files named after all my emails, but it looks like they havent been modified in quite some time. A bit of googling seems to indicate this is because for IMAP accounts (which i use exclusively) transitioned from using .pst to .ost in 2016 or so. The location of said files also changed to appdata\local\microsoft\outlook.

If i look there, I have a bunch of files named myemail - my profile.ost. I also have one errant file called "this computer only.pst"

I had created this some time ago in an effort to separate the local data, from all the email accounts. I had done some transitioning between primary email accounts and I not only wanted to keep that untethered from a specific email that I may or may no longer use, but i also wanted to keep all the associated folders it comes with "rss feeds, tasks, local only calendars" etc from being lumped in with the current associated email address.

This has served its purpose exactly as intended since I dont use local only anyways. I'm unsure if its related to my issues now or not.

Either way, at current - I've done some experimenting with copies of the various folders and a full backup of windows im forced to restore to get it back to working at least, after this post is made.

Ive used outlook to export each mailbox (and the "this computer only" data file) however it only allows you to export as .pst. Ive tried deleting the "AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\This Computer Only.pst" which it recreates and seems to have 0 effect.

I removed each email account from outlook assuming i could re-import the backups i made of the .ost's which outlook made as .pst's, and it would put things back, however it did not. It was attempting to lump all the emails under the "this computer only" folder, and left me with no email accounts added to outlook.

At this point i removed the this computer only.pst and re added all my original.ost and the original this computer only.pst back to the local\microsoft\outlook folder but i opened outlook, and still no email accounts re-added, so that data seems to be saved in yet ANOTHER location.

Between all the various providers force you to configure whether it be sign in settings, root folders, subscribed folders etc... i really need to understand/fix 2 things.

1) how to take everything, my profile, my email boxes, the emails configured therein, and the settings - over to another pc.

2) (current priority) how to fix the whole "an unknown error occurred 0x80040605" when clicking on each of the emails.osts (and if it has anything to do with having the local data file separate)

For now, im off to run a restore of my system drive. Microsoft does a lot of great things, but it seems pretty terrible at UE stuff. The hot mess visual studio creates, outlooks convolution. Sigh.

Anyhow, sorry for the book - i wanted to be thorough in case anyone happens to understand this specific circumstance.

:)

klepp0906, Feb 20, 2020
  2. klepp0906 Win User

Oh boy. So it begins with the desire to have basically a "mirror" of my entire outlook install on a second pc, but I havent even GOTTEN to that point yet. By chance I was looking at my account settings > data files and clicked on a few of my emailname.ost files. Each returned "an unknown error occurred 0x80040605" and thus my saga began. I assumed this was problematic so i first wanted to find a way to make it right.

Over the years ive ran outlook 2013/2016/2019 and so the hodgepodge of a mess thats been created im struggling to put together. I have an "Outlook Files" folder in My documents which has some .pst files named after all my emails, but it looks like they havent been modified in quite some time. A bit of googling seems to indicate this is because for IMAP accounts (which i use exclusively) transitioned from using .pst to .ost in 2016 or so. The location of said files also changed to appdata\local\microsoft\outlook.

If i look there, I have a bunch of files named myemail - my profile.ost. I also have one errant file called "this computer only.pst"

I had created this some time ago in an effort to separate the local data, from all the email accounts. I had done some transitioning between primary email accounts and I not only wanted to keep that untethered from a specific email that I may or may no longer use, but i also wanted to keep all the associated folders it comes with "rss feeds, tasks, local only calendars" etc from being lumped in with the current associated email address.

This has served its purpose exactly as intended since I dont use local only anyways. I'm unsure if its related to my issues now or not.

Either way, at current - I've done some experimenting with copies of the various folders and a full backup of windows im forced to restore to get it back to working at least, after this post is made.

Ive used outlook to export each mailbox (and the "this computer only" data file) however it only allows you to export as .pst. Ive tried deleting the "AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\This Computer Only.pst" which it recreates and seems to have 0 effect.

I removed each email account from outlook assuming i could re-import the backups i made of the .ost's which outlook made as .pst's, and it would put things back, however it did not. It was attempting to lump all the emails under the "this computer only" folder, and left me with no email accounts added to outlook.

At this point i removed the this computer only.pst and re added all my original.ost and the original this computer only.pst back to the local\microsoft\outlook folder but i opened outlook, and still no email accounts re-added, so that data seems to be saved in yet ANOTHER location.

Between all the various providers force you to configure whether it be sign in settings, root folders, subscribed folders etc... i really need to understand/fix 2 things.

1) how to take everything, my profile, my email boxes, the emails configured therein, and the settings - over to another pc.

2) (current priority) how to fix the whole "an unknown error occurred 0x80040605" when clicking on each of the emails.osts (and if it has anything to do with having the local data file separate)

For now, im off to run a restore of my system drive. Microsoft does a lot of great things, but it seems pretty terrible at UE stuff. The hot mess visual studio creates, outlooks convolution. Sigh.

Anyhow, sorry for the book - i wanted to be thorough in case anyone happens to understand this specific circumstance.

klepp0906, Feb 20, 2020
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Office 2019

Only supported on Win10. Sorry, 8.1 users, only 4 years old, gotta go.

Microsoft Office 2019 will only work on Windows 10

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com...-to-office-and-windows-servicing-and-support/

Spoiler Office 2019
    Last year at Ignite, we announced Office 2019 – the next perpetual version of Office that includes apps (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook, and Skype for Business) and servers (including Exchange, SharePoint, and Skype for Business). Today we’re pleased to share the following updates:

• Office 2019 will ship in H2 of 2018. Previews of the new apps and servers will start shipping in the second quarter of 2018.
    • Office 2019 apps will be supported on:
      • Any supported Windows 10 SAC release
      • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2018
      • The next LTSC release of Windows Server
    • The Office 2019 client apps will be released with Click-to-Run installation technology only. We will not provide MSI as a deployment methodology for Office 2019 clients. We will continue to provide MSI for Office Server products.

Ahhzz, Feb 20, 2020
  4. sumasage Win User

Free hard drive backup/restore program?

I am looking for a free (freeware) program that will back up and restore a hard drive. I'm looking to clone a few external hard drives. If the program will backup the used space instead of the whole drive this will be awesome! Thanks for any suggestions.

sumasage, Feb 20, 2020
Thema:

1. Help me understand this hot mess of outlook 2019 (backup/restoration) - Similar Threads - Help understand hot

2. Asking help understanding the Windows Backup & Restore.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Asking help understanding the Windows Backup & Restore.: I have a Windows 10 PC with all the updates. I started using Windows Backup & Restore. I am wording my query on Google every way I can but it doesn't seem to answer anything that I understand right away. I have the B&R scheduled every night at 12am. Now does this erase the...
  3. Need help understanding system backup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need help understanding system backup: I really have no knowledge of this but I want to make sure I get it right. This is what I understand so far. Please correct me 1. Installing the macrium reflect in the laptop 2. Run the programme to make a clone. What is the image making option though? 3. Backup and save 4....
  4. Need Help Understanding Backups with Macrium

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Need Help Understanding Backups with Macrium: I've spent countless hours trying to research this so I can understand it and I'm still having issues. If I use software such as Macrium, I can clone my C drive to an SSD so that if my C drive were to fail, I could pop in the SSD and that's it. It's basically like nothing...
  5. Help me understand if this is a risk

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Help me understand if this is a risk: Hi. Please check my picture and tell me im not being hacked/spied on. I inserted text information to the picture and by what i read it seems like im compromised. But i need you to confirm. I'll give you more info if you need it. Both processes are running in system32 folder....
  6. Help me understand Windows 10 backup

Help me understand Windows 10 backup: If I abandon my long-standing method of using Windows 7 system image backup for my five PCs, it is not clear to me exactly what happens with Windows 10 backup. I have searched all over for a full explanation. For a worst case example: Suppose my hard drive completely bites...
  7. Help me understand this hot mess of outlook 2019 (backup/restoration)

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help me understand this hot mess of outlook 2019 (backup/restoration): Oh boy. So it begins with the desire to have basically a "mirror" of my entire outlook install on a second pc, but I havent even GOTTEN to that point yet. By chance I was looking at my account settings > data files and clicked on a few of my emailname.ost files. Each returned...
  8. Windows 10 is a hot mess for me right now.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 is a hot mess for me right now.: I made a post few weeks ago that i got many different bods and got my ram replaced wich solved my problems... for a week. After i reinstalled windows and installed everything again my pc got bluescreens again but not same as before. I mainly get IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (even...
  9. Help me out of this failed restore mess

Help me out of this failed restore mess: I was running Windows 10 Pro on a desktop Asus MB PC. Messing around with nodejs and npm installation I got everything messed up so I did a system restore. There was a restore point from day before this happened so I picked it. The process took hours and seemed to finish...
  10. Trying to Understand Backup/Recover/Restore Options

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Trying to Understand Backup/Recover/Restore Options: New to Windows 10, wanting to set up my backup routine(s). Although I have had Windows systems in the past( 95, XP, Vista, 8.1) still not quite understanding what the various backup options provide. What I have done: Activated File History to an external hard drive. Created...