Windows 10: Help me understand Windows 10 backup

Discus and support Help me understand Windows 10 backup in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; If I abandon my long-standing method of using Windows 7 system image backup for my five PCs, it is not clear to me exactly what happens with Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by PulpoCangrejo, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Help me understand Windows 10 backup

If I abandon my long-standing method of using Windows 7 system image backup for my five PCs, it is not clear to me exactly what happens with Windows 10 backup. I have searched all over for a full explanation.

For a worst case example:

Suppose my hard drive completely bites the dust on a PC that has an OEM installation of Windows 10 Pro. I install a brand-new blank hard drive.

I know that I can reinstall Windows from an SD card made using the Media Creation Tool.

But which of the following statements is true and which is false?

1. My Windows 10 backup has saved my data files but I have to reinstall any programs.
    2. The backup retains various Windows settings such as display, sound, user profiles, update preferences and privacy haha.
    3. The installer can tell that I have a valid installation of Windows 10 Pro.
    4. The installer installs whatever version was current at the time it was made and does not automatically update to the current version.

Thanks in advance.

:)

PulpoCangrejo, Jun 29, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jun 29, 2020
  3. Bokenzhe Win User
    Backup Issue - Microsoft 10 - Cannot perform initial backup

Question

• Help me understand Windows 10 backup [​IMG]

Applies to

5 views Backup Issue - Microsoft 10 - Cannot perform initial backup

My backup stubbornly refuses to run. I can't run the initial backup, therefore the file history backups don't run either. This has been an ongoing problem for quite some time. Suggestions I've received have not worked so far. Following is the problem
    and the failed resolution attempts:

• I get this message from the Event Log:

Unable to scan user libraries for changes and perform backup of modified files for configuration C:\Users\Papa\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

Event ID - 201

Level: Error

User - System

*** ---- There is no config file at this directory location. The contents of the location are:

catalog1

catalog2

config1

config2

• In another thread from July, someone suggested checking a particular service (I forget the name just now) is running. It is.

• Two days ago a Microsoft employee suggested the following steps. These steps resulted in no change, still no backup:

KA

Karthicka_R replied on

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to start and stop the services “Windows backup” and “volume shadow copy” and check if it helps.

• Press “Windows+R” and in the run command box type “services. MSc”.
    • Search for the service “Windows Backup” double click on it and check whether the service is started or not, click on “OK” button. I suggest you to stop and start the service again.
    • Once done again search for the service “Volume shadow copy” double click on it and check whether the service is started or not. I suggest you to stop and start the service again, click on “OK” button and
      check whether you can perform backup successfully.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

• I performed these steps multiple times. The backup still crashes, with the same error message. In addition I collected the following error message, but only one time:

Unable to start a backup cycle for configuration C:\Users\Papa\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

Event ID: 200

• Can anyone help me with this stubborn problem?

Thank you in advance.

Bokenzhe, Jun 29, 2020
  4. Help me understand Windows 10 backup

windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Jun 29, 2020
Thema:

Help me understand Windows 10 backup

1. Help me understand Windows 10 backup - Similar Threads - Help understand backup

2. Help me understand the Windows 10 taskbar, or fix it

in Windows 10 Customization
    Help me understand the Windows 10 taskbar, or fix it: Hello everyone,I like to use the small taskbar to get as much screen space as possible for my work. But I would also like to see the date and time together in the taskbar.I have 3 computers, 1 desktop and 2 laptops as follows--Work Laptop: HP ProBook 430 G7Personal Laptop: HP...
  3. Asking help understanding the Windows Backup & Restore.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Asking help understanding the Windows Backup & Restore.: I have a Windows 10 PC with all the updates. I started using Windows Backup & Restore. I am wording my query on Google every way I can but it doesn't seem to answer anything that I understand right away. I have the B&R scheduled every night at 12am. Now does this erase the...
  4. Need help understanding system backup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need help understanding system backup: I really have no knowledge of this but I want to make sure I get it right. This is what I understand so far. Please correct me 1. Installing the macrium reflect in the laptop 2. Run the programme to make a clone. What is the image making option though? 3. Backup and save 4....
  5. Need Help Understanding Backups with Macrium

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Need Help Understanding Backups with Macrium: I've spent countless hours trying to research this so I can understand it and I'm still having issues. If I use software such as Macrium, I can clone my C drive to an SSD so that if my C drive were to fail, I could pop in the SSD and that's it. It's basically like nothing...
  6. Understanding Windows 10 backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Understanding Windows 10 backup: Anticipating some significant changes to my desktop PC, I did a backup to my networked (if that's the correct term?) QNAP NAS. However, this left me with a few questions so I'd really appreciate some explanations. I've backed up several times already to my NAS when using...
  7. Help me understand if this is a risk

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Help me understand if this is a risk: Hi. Please check my picture and tell me im not being hacked/spied on. I inserted text information to the picture and by what i read it seems like im compromised. But i need you to confirm. I'll give you more info if you need it. Both processes are running in system32 folder....
  8. Help me understand this hot mess of outlook 2019 (backup/restoration)

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Help me understand this hot mess of outlook 2019 (backup/restoration): Oh boy. So it begins with the desire to have basically a "mirror" of my entire outlook install on a second pc, but I havent even GOTTEN to that point yet. By chance I was looking at my account settings > data files and clicked on a few of my emailname.ost files. Each returned...
  9. Help me understand this hot mess of outlook 2019 (backup/restoration)

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help me understand this hot mess of outlook 2019 (backup/restoration): Oh boy. So it begins with the desire to have basically a "mirror" of my entire outlook install on a second pc, but I havent even GOTTEN to that point yet. By chance I was looking at my account settings > data files and clicked on a few of my emailname.ost files. Each returned...
  10. Help me understand the Windows update function

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help me understand the Windows update function: Which updates does it look for? Do I need to manually update, for example, Intel drivers? Intel Serial IO Intel Management Engine Components Intel Rapid Store Technology Intel Network Connections Intel Chipset Device Software submitted by /u/Kronborg11 [link] [comments]...