Windows 10: Help migrating WinLiveMail for W10 upgrade

Discus and support Help migrating WinLiveMail for W10 upgrade in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I have a W7 pro x64 system here with Windows Live Mail, and I need help to make absolutely sure I do not lose email/contacts during the upgrade. I have... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by simrick, Aug 3, 2015.

1. simrick Win User

Help migrating WinLiveMail for W10 upgrade

I have a W7 pro x64 system here with Windows Live Mail, and I need help to make absolutely sure I do not lose email/contacts during the upgrade. I have tried exporting emails using the tutorial by Brink in sevenforums. However, it appears that I only get one folder in each of the 3 email accounts to actually export. When I look at the file properties, I am sure that not all the info is there - it's way too small. I've tried to export "all folders" and I get an error.

This is my friend's system, and I need a solution to be absolutely sure I retain all his emails and contacts (contacts appear to have exported fine, in *.csv format).

Has anyone had experience going through this, and any advice/things I can do? Thanks.

:)

simrick, Aug 3, 2015

2. purchase license upgrade from windows 7 to 10 since if I upgrade now, VM will run only in Windows 10 host PC

So you are sure if upgrade now to w10 ... there will be No migration problem of w10 VM to the Mac host from windows host... correct?

Lse123polis, Aug 3, 2015
  3. JimP5 Win User
    Lumia update stuck at migrating your data.

A normal power button shutdown worked on my Lumia 640. W10 upgrade stalled at migrating data, Step 20 of 22, 0%. I performed a shutdown. The phone restarted automatically. It showed it was migrating data at Step 1 of 3. It completed in a minute. The phone
    appears to be operating normally with W10 installed.

JimP5, Aug 3, 2015
  4. Kari Win User

As I have never used Windows Live Mail apart for a few short tests, I cannot help you in this. However, I just had an idea and want to ask what protocol is used on those three email accounts?

If they are not POP3 accounts, there IMO should not be any need to backup the accounts. Both IMAP and Exchange accounts keep the local client and accounts on mail server synchronized; everything on server is shown in client and vice versa, be it messages or contacts. Simply setting the account up on another client on another computer will fetch all messages and contacts.

Kari, Aug 3, 2015
  5. DaddyG Win User
    DaddyG, Aug 4, 2015
  6. simrick Win User
    Thank you both. I will be working on this over the next day.

simrick, Aug 4, 2015
  7. The video DaddyG pointed to describes the process I use for testing or for migration. There are two things it did not cover; Contacts and Rules.

You said you already have Contacts exported to a .csv file. Contacts in weMail are stored in a separate folder in the same location as the message files
    %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows Live
    You can follow the same procedure in the video for this folder (rename the new installation folder to Live-empty)
    Then copy both the Windows Live and the Live folders to the new system.

If you have any Rules set up, you'll have to edit the registry and export the following key for each User Profile (people who log in to the computer)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\Rules\Mail
    A quick way to look at the key is to run reg query in a command prompt (std is fine - it's the current user's key)

reg query "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\Rules\Mail" /s

Then use the exported reg file to import the rules to the new machine's registry.

Those are the two things not covered in the video : Contacts in the Live folder and Rules in the registry.

Piece of cake!

Slartybart, Aug 4, 2015
  8. simrick Win User

Thanks very much!
    I see he has a problem with his optical drive; errors of some sort - doesn't want to burn. It's either a bad cable or the thing has died. Either way, W10 doesn't want to install through WU, and so I will have to resolve this before I try again.

simrick, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Help migrating WinLiveMail for W10 upgrade - Similar Threads - Help migrating WinLiveMail

2. Will Microsoft ever stop pushing W10 upgrades and migration to W11? Or is it that we have...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Will Microsoft ever stop pushing W10 upgrades and migration to W11? Or is it that we have...: Separado de esta conversación.Dear Jason GuerI respectfully tell you that update messages has become either a major headache or a pain where I don't tell you.Windows Microsoft has become extremely intrusive causing damage to thousands of PCs with its faulty updates. I have...
  3. W10 Upgrade

W10 Upgrade: W10 Upgrade Failures: Upgrades 0xc fail every time and 20H2 always gets stuck at 61%. When I try the W Upgrade Assistant I get a message that it cannot instal as the automatic upgrade stuck at 61% is running.I have tried a few online suggestions but nothing seems to...
  4. W10 Upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    W10 Upgrade: W10 Upgrade Failures: Upgrades 0xc fail every time and 20H2 always gets stuck at 61%. When I try the W Upgrade Assistant I get a message that it cannot instal as the automatic upgrade stuck at 61% is running.I have tried a few online suggestions but nothing seems to...
  5. Migrate W10 to SSD

Migrate W10 to SSD: Dear Sir/MadamHelloCurrently I have two HDD Drives W10 installed on one of them , the second one System image stored on it,Soon I will get another two SSD Drives "SATA or M2" , The question is how to connect both SSD Drives and HDD drives so I can restore system image to a...
  6. Migrate W10 to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Migrate W10 to SSD: Dear Sir/MadamHelloCurrently I have two HDD Drives W10 installed on one of them , the second one System image stored on it,Soon I will get another two SSD Drives "SATA or M2" , The question is how to connect both SSD Drives and HDD drives so I can restore system image to a...
  7. Migrate W10 to SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Printer migration tool for w10 2004

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Printer migration tool for w10 2004: Hello. Is there any way to migrate printers using w10 Home 2004? I have downloaded several migration tools (one from here) and none of them seem to work. Ideas? 159119
  9. Need Help Migrating Upgraded HDD to larger HDD

Need Help Migrating Upgraded HDD to larger HDD: I'm trying to migrate my Win10x64 OS and apps (not concerned about data) to a larger HDD by using several software apps (Acronis, AOEMI Partition Assistant) in Clone or Copy or Migrate modes. So far, none of them will boot when the older boot drive is disconnected or...
  10. Migrate W10 Anniversary version to an upgraded PC?

Migrate W10 Anniversary version to an upgraded PC?: I have two old systems running W10 with the Anniversary update applied. I want to upgrade the MB and Processor on these systems but don't want to buy yet another copy of Windows. The last time I ran into this issue the Microsoft CSR said I'd have to go back to the W8 CD/Key...